Restore from iCloud backup

fterh

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I got my iPhone 5 this morning :D I've set up as a new iPhone (for a clean start), and I've synced my apps from my Library to my iPhone.

However I want to transfer my messages and photos to my new phone, so on my old phone, I backed up with iCloud (and chose to ONLY back up photos among the list of apps). On my new phone, how do I get it to restore the iCloud backup without restoring the phone and selecting "Restore from iCloud backup"?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You can't ... It's a all or nothing kind of thing

Beamed from my iPad 2 routed and bouncing across the globe on multiple servers and brought to you using Tapatalk !

fterh

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So the only way is to restore the phone and restore my iCloud backup during setup, THEN sync my apps? Wow, that sucks. Is there any workaround (e.g. using 3rd party software like iExplorer)?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Not that I'm aware and I'm pretty sure I would have heard if someone figured out how ...
You might as well restore from a full backup

Beamed from my iPad 2 routed and bouncing across the globe on multiple servers and brought to you using Tapatalk !

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I got my iPhone 5 this morning :D I've set up as a new iPhone (for a clean start), and I've synced my apps from my Library to my iPhone.

However I want to transfer my messages and photos to my new phone, so on my old phone, I backed up with iCloud (and chose to ONLY back up photos among the list of apps). On my new phone, how do I get it to restore the iCloud backup without restoring the phone and selecting "Restore from iCloud backup"?

If your your photos were synced to iCloud via Photostream then you should have gotten them when you configured iCloud & turned on Photostream on your iPhone 5. As for your messages (I assume SMS messages), I don't know about them. As for restoring your device, you cannot pick & choose what is restored, unfortunately. On the other hand, being that your device already has iOS 6 installed, the data & settings that will be restore from your backup *shouldn't* hamper your device.