Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #51  
    Banned

Default Re: Did Earpods outdo Apple Earphones?

I don't really want to take the chance now, because, well, I don't like in-ear anything.

Talk about Earwax central. They should've just done 3 main types that fit most ears instead of 1, honestly I don't think the new ones are going to stay in my ears.
    iPhone Newbie

I honestly really like the earpods they shipped with the iPhone 5. I can run with them and not feel like they are going to fall out of my ear. I always felt that with the other ones and other types of headphones. These rest comfortably in the little dip in your ear. I could always tell when the tight in ear headphones were going to fall out soon when the music got dimmer and dimmer in that ear. These don't have this problem. I don't have to adjust them at all.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #53  
    Banned

Bought em' today, yes, they did outdo the previous ones.

Earpods are what Apple Earbuds should have been. They're the upgrade you were looking for.

If you're wondering if anything really changed, it did.

Notables include the bass, the shape, and the feel. It's almost like you have full on headphones on, but your ears feel free. When you turn them all the way up, the sound it doesn't distort.

It can't fall out of your ear because it's the same width as the previous ones. And they still retain their signature look.
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version
    Up to date

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post

...1 second google search found these headlines right up top...keep searching and you'll find more over the last week. Of course one could argue these blogs are a bit biased, I'm sure we'll have some more general reviews from less Apple focused websites soon. I've also read that the dre beats earbuds don't even work on most cell phones...and let's not forget that the Apple earpods are also a handsfree device, letting you make calls using them as well.
    Interesting conversation in this thread

I'm no studio engineer, not even associated with music in a professional sense but I do have a passion for great music and great sound! I do have a great deal of experience with different types of earbuds and headphones- 2 different sets of Tour Beats by Dre. (The left ear went out on the first pair I owned).

My thoughts are YMMV that there's a tool for every job out there and similarly certain types of music sound fantastic on certain types of headphones. I don't listen to music with an outsized amount of Bass- though in some films on the iPhone or iPad it can be helpful to have headphones or buds that can handle over pronounced bass without going all James Bond villain on me.

That being said Dre Tours? A bit over priced- in fact quite a bit over priced. The quality is Aces but the sound is not blow your mind $160 sound in my opinion. As for the EarPods I cannot say, but even after what I said about the Tour Beats I have a difficult time believing that the EarPods sound better than them. I'd be happy to be proven wrong- in fact I'd be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong. When they get here I'll update the thread and let everybody know what I think after I've burned them in...

---------- Post Merged at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by metrion View Post
    I don't really want to take the chance now, because, well, I don't like in-ear anything.

Talk about Earwax central. They should've just done 3 main types that fit most ears instead of 1, honestly I don't think the new ones are going to stay in my ears.
    Earwax was my big complaint about the old design. I've always had quite a few different headsets lying about- pair on the counter in the kitchen, pair in the home office, pair at the work office, pair in the car, pair wadded up on the passenger floor in the car You know the drill- you grab what's near and use them when it's convenient!

One of the things I've always noticed though is that the screens of the old Apple buds always became caked with earwax and therefore diminished the sound quality and volume. Perhaps my ears just produce more- heck, I don't know- but it did become a bit annoying and one of the main complaints that I always had.

Great point mertrion!

---------- Post Merged at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Earwax was my big complaint about the old design. I've always had quite a few different headsets lying about- pair on the counter in the kitchen, pair in the home office, pair at the work office, pair in the car, pair wadded up on the passenger floor in the car You know the drill- you grab what's near and use them when it's convenient!

One of the things I've always noticed though is that the screens of the old Apple buds always became caked with earwax and therefore diminished the sound quality and volume. Perhaps my ears just produce more- heck, I don't know- but it did become a bit annoying and one of the main complaints that I always had.

Great point mertrion!
    iPhone Beginner

I find the new EarPods to be a bit uncomfy.. they dun really fit right in my ear.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Did Earpods outdo Apple Earphones?

I love how they fit much better than the traditional earbuds. The round ones always hurt my ears, these just go right in and don't bother me with a lot of use.
    AT&T iPhone 5 16GB White iOS 7.0.3 - Sven
    17" Macbook Pro (late 2011) OS 10.9 Mavericks - Joffrey

mix1985 from Crackberry
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #57  
    Banned

One mistake Apple made with these is the buttons are huge now and take an EXTREME amount of effort to use. Downgrade on that.

Global Posts
    2,357 Global Posts
    iOS Version

One mistake Apple made with these is the buttons are huge now and take an EXTREME amount of effort to use. Downgrade on that.
    Maybe you should consider spending some more time at the gym.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #59  
    Banned

You used to be able to get a response out of the earbuds wherever you pressed them. These Earpods, because the remote is built differently, has a "Dead space" where you get no response if you press them. So they're 3 separate buttons now instead of however they were doing it before.

iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

You used to be able to get a response out of the earbuds wherever you pressed them. These Earpods, because the remote is built differently, has a "Dead space" where you get no response if you press them. So they're 3 separate buttons now instead of however they were doing it before.
    I had the same problem at first, but you'll adjust to it quickly.
    - iPhone 5S; Space Grey, 16GB
    - iPhone 5; Black & Slate, 16GB
    - iPad mini; White & Silver, 16GB
    - iPod Nano; Black & Slate, 16GB
    - iPod touch 4G; 8GB
    - MacBook Pro; 13" (custom, early 2012)

"You'll always be two steps behind me."
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

I was curious when they first announced them. I waited until I got them with my i5 to try them. They definitely have better bass and more clarity. Also, much more comfortable and aren't as likely to fall out of your ears. I would compare the sound and newfound bass to a Bose Wave Radio, it's really crisp and clear with spectacular bass...but the bass isn't forced from an extra power source like an amp or extra battery (dre beats) but the air is circulated and creates a nice filling bass that isn't really overwhelming.

I would spend $29 to replace my current Earpods if they broke or I misplaced them.
    Unibody Macbook Pro 2.26 - Lion - AT&T Black/Slate iPhone 5 16GB - ATV2 - Airport Express - Magic Mouse

Follow me on Twitter @andrewasmith
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 Beta

I really like the new Earbuds that Apple has developed. They work pretty well, sound quality is pretty decent. I'm sure they don't beat any high end earbud's though.
    bgesullo
    iPhone 5 White 32GB>iPad 3 White 16GB>MacBook Pro
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

I actually really like the new ear pods and can hear a difference in the sound quality from the old model. I will say that I am probably one of the few people that can't stand in in ear headphones that are popular now so I was very happy that they didn't change them to that style.
    It's better to be pissed off than pissed on

iPhone 5 32gb black/slate . iPad air 64 gb white/silver . iPad mini 16gb 4g black/slate . MacBook Pro 13" . ATV 3rd gen . iPod classic . iPod nano
    bgesullo likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by xoxospecialk View Post
    I will say that I am probably one of the few people that can't stand in in ear headphones that are popular now so I was very happy that they didn't change them to that style.
    Add me to that list, I don't like the feeling of isolation it gives me. But, each to his/her own. I got a pair of the new earbuds yesterday and have to admit, they are quite good compared to the old style.

-jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Earpods would be great if I didn't have to constantly put them back in my ear every 2 seconds. They do not fit my ears or my wife's ears. Don't really want anyone else to wear them to find out. Didn't have this issue with the old school earphones, so I give the battle to the originals because I can actually listen to the device instead of trying to keep the damn things in my ears.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

I have never used stock earphones/earbuds/or (now)earpods... always bought a decent third party hardware - using the Klipsch right now for in-ear and Bose headphone... nothing beats a vendor specialized in the hardware...
    iPhone Nanite

I think the new ear pods are a huge improvement over the ear buds. They are more comfortable, they don't fall out of my ears and the sound is a little bit better than the buds.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

The more form-fitting design filters out outside noise better as well. Of course, not as well as earbuds, but still, it's definitely an improvement.
    - iPhone 5S; Space Grey, 16GB
    - iPhone 5; Black & Slate, 16GB
    - iPad mini; White & Silver, 16GB
    - iPod Nano; Black & Slate, 16GB
    - iPod touch 4G; 8GB
    - MacBook Pro; 13" (custom, early 2012)

"You'll always be two steps behind me."
    iPhone Newbie

no because these damn earbuds dont fit in my damn ears! Good thing i kept my old earphones from apple. better yet, my earphones not made from apple.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I think they fit in the ear great. My issue is that they only work well in quiet environments. I commute on the tube and only used them on the first day as I couldn't hear anything (I listen to audiobooks).
    So back to my 3rd party earphones it is.

Beamed from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk
    A kleptomaniac is someone who helps themselves because they can't help themself.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Ios 6

I actually love them. Sound quality is on par with my bose in ear headphones! Like others my problem is I work in a shop and would love a ear tip that could block noise. I think someone who could come up with a aftermarket solution could make some serious cash!
    "And Your Gonna Love It"
    iPhone Nanite

Has anyone had the problem of the earpod falling out? I must have large ear canals or something because the earpods with my new iPhone 5 don't fit snug and are constantly falling out.
    Any ideas or am I stuck to buying a new aftermarket set?
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I am an avid gym rat, so I need a good pair of earphones that I am not consistently having to place back in my ears. Currently, I have the Ironman Yurbuds. They are awesome. I never have to re insert them, even with running and lifiting weights. I have casually listened to the new earpods in my office, but haven't taken the jump into they gym. I just feel that they could fall out at any time and I really dont like that feeling.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123