Charging via a car USB port.

Hammerdog

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
My 2012 Toyota Highlander has a USB port. Will my phone stay charged while I drive? The phone also bluetooth syncs through the vehicle radio system so it is constantly in use with linking and/or phone calls. If the USB will not keep it charged, then I will have to get a cigarette lighter adapter with USB plug to keep it charged which I already have a Garmin plugged in to.

kmc979

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
i have a 2012 honda crv and i can't charge my iphone 5 via the usb port. it will charge if i plug the cable into a regular charger. luckily my car's bluetooth plays all my music/pandora so I only plug it in if needs to charge.

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The USB port in my car doesn't charge .. It's more of a read-only port. I keep a jumpdrive with all my music plugged into it, but it won't charge any device I try to plug in.

OlegWasHere

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
i have a 2012 camry se and my usb works fine. charges and plays through usb. bought an extra cable to avoid the hassle of plugging it in every time.

but it has had some glitches playing music through iphone speaker instead of car speakers.
to fix i just hit bluetooth and then back to usb and clears it up.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
On my 2011 Nissan maxima it does...worked for my 4S and now with my i5...works with new lighting cable phone came with as well as extra 3 I purchased from apple store...
y3a4ety3.jpg

...on iPhone5/iOS6 via Tapatalk...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
my honda crv charged my 4 just fine via usb connection, it's now not charging the 5 with the lightening cable, will only play through it.

Look at the AC charger... see what its amperage output is... then check the specs of the CRV's USB port if that's what you're using... if the CRV's amperage on the USB is less than the charger, well... there's your problem.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Look at the AC charger... see what its amperage output is... then check the specs of the CRV's USB port if that's what you're using... if the CRV's amperage on the USB is less than the charger, well... there's your problem.

So are you saying that the 5 needs more power to charge then the 4S?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
So are you saying that the 5 needs more power to charge then the 4S?

I don't know... that's why I suggested comparing amp output specs... if the car USB outputs a lower amperage than the AC charger, that is likely the cause of the car not charging the phone.

creyc

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
The supplied apple charging block is a 1A charger, i.e. 1000mA. This allows fast charging your iPhone, as well as charging during use.

The Spec for USB protocol determines a high-power capable port must be able to source 500mA, and a low power port up to 100mA.

I all cases, the iPhone will only pull as much power as it needs, but if you've only got a low power port available on your car then your iPhone may not charge in which case I would recomend a good 1A charger for the cigarette port. Never ever ever buy a cheap or knock-off charger; I've seen far too many electrical problems both on the device AND the car side from plugging these things in. Stick with Belkin, Kensington, Griffin..

Chris B 1364

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The supplied apple charging block is a 1A charger, i.e. 1000mA. This allows fast charging your iPhone, as well as charging during use.

The Spec for USB protocol determines a high-power capable port must be able to source 500mA, and a low power port up to 100mA.

I all cases, the iPhone will only pull as much power as it needs, but if you've only got a low power port available on your car then your iPhone may not charge in which case I would recomend a good 1A charger for the cigarette port. Never ever ever buy a cheap or knock-off charger; I've seen far too many electrical problems both on the device AND the car side from plugging these things in. Stick with Belkin, Kensington, Griffin..
Thanks for the info I just got a belkin one today....

mab4285

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Can't charge via the USB port on my 2012 Hyundai Elantra, but that's because Hyundai makes you use THEIR cable to connect to the stereo. So I'm waiting for the 30 pin to Lightning adapter to come out so I can have the full functionality back.

---------- Post Merged at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Can't charge via the USB port on my 2012 Hyundai Elantra, but that's because Hyundai makes you use THEIR cable to connect to the stereo. So I'm waiting for the 30 pin to Lightning adapter to come out so I can have the full functionality back.

jcqb15

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2011 Sierra and a 2012 sonic. My iPhone 4 both charged and played music via the connector before. Now with my iPhone 5, I can only charge the phone on my truck. No music on either, any suggestions???

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711