For those that switch from one carrier to another for the iPhone 5 and paying the etf...

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
... were you able to sell your old phone from the carrier that you ditched? The reason I asked is because I have been unable to get a concrete answer on whether or not the old phone will have a good or bad ESN after the phone number has been successfully ported to the new carrier.

I want to sell my Verizon iPhone 4 because, like many others, I upgraded to the iPhone 5, but, for specific reasons, I switched to AT&T while knowing that I would take a hit with Verizon's etf. The phone number ported successfully and my Verizon account is now closed. I am now just waiting for the final bill with the included etf. I had every intention on using the money from the sale of the iPhone 4 towards the price of the etf. Am I SOL until I get that final bill payed or can I go ahead and sell my iPhone 4 now with confidence the it has a clean ESN? Anyone else in my shoes?

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The seller has to call Verizon and make sure the ESN gets released. I sold a Verizon 4 last to get a 4S on AT&T.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
In theory once your number is ported away from Verizon, the ESN should be clean, because the account is closed via the port... but to be sure, make sure the final bill from verizon is paid in full... then verify with Verizon the ESN is clean, and sell the phone.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
In the past, when I switch from Verizon to AT&T I had to wait until the end of the billing cycle month before a new person could activate my old phone. For example, my billing cycle goes from the 1st till the end of the month (not typical so check yours). I canceled via a number port to AT&T on the 10th, sold my iPhone on eBay and the new owner received the iPhone on the 20th. They were unable to activate until the 1st of the next month. I called Verizon & their explanation was the phone was still technically on my account until the next month since you are always paid one month ahead.

Switching back to AT&T I didn't have this issue, I can only assume its because anyone could drop in a sim & be up and running on AT&T.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't received that final bill them your account isn't technically closed. When I switched I had to wait a few days for them to release the esn from my account.

In the future I would suggest before porting to switch devices that way the device you want to sell isn't impacted. Hope everything works out. Good luck.