WiFi/Data Question

freshdrl

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Assuming "use cellular data" is turned OFF, when I'm on my wifi connection at home...will it automatically revert back to cell data when my iPhone is asleep? I've heard mixed answers regarding this. Some say unless it is charging the iPhone will sometimes turn off it's wireless connection and revert back to cell data. Anyone have a clear answer regarding this?

Acelx

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
i don't know about the iPhone 5 but on my i4 if i select "cellular data" off and turn WiFi on my cellular data does not turn back on.. your wifi might fall to sleep if its unused in a certain amount of time (i guess thats just a battery saving feature Apple put into iOS)

F34R

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Assuming "use cellular data" is turned OFF, when I'm on my wifi connection at home...will it automatically revert back to cell data when my iPhone is asleep? I've heard mixed answers regarding this. Some say unless it is charging the iPhone will sometimes turn off it's wireless connection and revert back to cell data. Anyone have a clear answer regarding this?
It says under Cellular Data:
Turn off cellular data to restrict all data to Wi-Fi, including email, web browsing, and push notifications.

No, it doesn't "turn back on" by itself. You have to select "ON" manually. If it does it automatically otherwise, it's something I've never seen happen, or read/heard of it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

The Wifi radio on an iPhone will 'sleep' when the screen is locked - and when you wake it up, the Wifi wakes up as well - and you may see it on the screen look like it's switching from cellular to wifi - under the hood, I believe the iPhone will try wifi first for data, then go cellular if wifi is unavailable.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Only issue I see with this is no notifications once your wifi sleeps .. Unless a notification wakes the wifi up some how

Is the wifi sleep option disabled in a iPod ipsw ?

Beamed from my iPad 2 routed and bouncing across the globe on multiple servers and brought to you using Tapatalk !

F34R

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Or maybe it's a good way to save data if for some reason you are coming close to your cap. It was an honest question that many seem to be confused about which is why I asked.
As long as you have wifi going, the cellular data won't be used against your available data plan.

freshdrl

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
As long as you have wifi going, the cellular data won't be used against your available data plan.

Yes that much I am sure of. However it remains a question that when the phone goes in standby/sleep mode the phone can utilize carrier data instead of wifi.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes that much I am sure of. However it remains a question that when the phone goes in standby/sleep mode the phone can utilize carrier data instead of wifi.
Any data the phone might theoretically use on the cellular network while also connected to wifi is negligible / inconsequential.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
If you switch off Cellular Data, your wifi can't revert back to it.

It's also true that you might miss some notifications while the phone is sleeping - but you'll get some too. I still can't find no rhyme and reason to this one. Most of the time though I'll get my notifs even if it sleeps.

And as Keith mentionned, your iPhone will choose WiFi over Cellular data when it finds a WLAN. It's also true that if both WiFi and CD are on while in a WiFi area, when it goes to sleep, you might see the 3G/LTE flash briefly when you turn it back on, before WiFi takes over. That doesn't mean it was using CD while it was asleep. It's just normal for the waking phone to "find it first" because the "phone" part is always communicating with your carrier's network. One thing though : when both are on, and your WiFi signal suddenly drops enough for the phone to switch over to CD, it might happen that it will stay on CD even though WiFi signal got back to full strenght. It's only when you'll go in Settings - WiFi to see what the hell is going on, that it will suddenly get back on by itself. That happened to me a lot when I was on iOS 5. And yes, my "Ask to join networks" was on.

I'm on WiFi 23,5 hours out of 24, on most days...

F34R

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

If you have the cellular data turned off, then no, the phone won't use it while it is in standby/sleep mode.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh