Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kjjb0204
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,878 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Default Just how fast is the iPhone 5

🆗 so I'll put in terms regular people can understand. I just came from an Apple store where I was playing with a demo unit. So I pulled out my iPhone 4 and lined the phones up side by side. I tapped Settings on mine. Then 3 seconds later I tapped Settings on the iPhone 5, the i5 was already loaded and mine loaded 2-3 seconds after. Even with a 3 second head start, that is fast!
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iPhone Newbie

The A6 is supposed to be "at least" twice as fast. So...there you go. It's does do everything faster though. I was surprised at the speed of the camera wen though they said that it was 40% faster. The speed is just amazing to me. And the pics are still good. Not just a bunch of quick blurry pics like the Galaxy Nexus.
    iPhone Newbie

Just read an article that it out performing the S4 dual core found in the US version Galaxy S3 and HTC One X and that processor is nothing to sneeze at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tone.english View Post
    Just read an article that it out performing the S4 dual core found in the US version Galaxy S3 and HTC One X and that processor is nothing to sneeze at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    scores behind the s4 but still pretty fast
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    scores behind the s4 but still pretty fast
    That's funny...i can post links too, that say exactly the opposite.

"Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    That's funny...i can post links too, that say exactly the opposite.

so you get **** hurt because geek bench showed the iphone 5 scoring lower than the sgs3
    iPhone Experts

iOS Version

so you get **** hurt because geek bench showed the iphone 5 scoring lower than the sgs3
    Uhh, I think someone might want to make a counter-argument when they have information TO THE OPPOSITE.

If you are immature enough to say things like "****-hurt" when presented with a counter-argument then that is your problem.
    iPhone 5 16GB / 21.5" iMac. 3.06GHz OSX Mountain Lion/ Apple TV 2nd Gen/ iPad Gen2, 16GB.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Biggest difference? Hipstamatic processing. If you use Hipstamatic, you know some lens/film combos can take a LONG time to process. One of my favorite settings would take about 7-8 seconds per shot on the 4S. On the 5? Less than a second. When I saw it nearly instantly process these images, I actually say there for a few seconds staring at the phone in disbelief. In many tasks its 2x as fast. In others it's WAY faster than that. Seriously impressed.

One crazy thing to think about. The iPhone 5 has a higher Geekbench score than a typical 3GHz Pentium 4. Now, I know that's an old chip, but this is a PHONE.
    Last edited by Jman13; 09-22-2012 at 07:49 PM.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Oh, the God of Smartphones tends to Its flock no matter the lineage. It knows no black sheep... only a black berry.
    Are you John Wayne? Is this me?
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Verizon LTE in Monmouth County, NJ. HUGE step up from evdo rev a!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just how fast is the iPhone 5-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1348361723.734077.jpg  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,083 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS 7

Here is my speed in northeast Ohio. Not the best I have seen but much better than it was.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just how fast is the iPhone 5-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1348362234.680953.jpg  
    *iPhone 5s 64GB White/Silver* *iPad AIR*
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

**** hurt? Not at all bud! I just did exactly what you did, only showing the opposite of what your link reported. As far as I'm reading, the iPhone 5 scored higher than the GSIII, why would i be mad about that?
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,815 Global Posts

Um, if your iphone4 takes that long, there's something wrong. Just pulled out my 3gs and it opens almost instantly. Not even a half second.
    Premium1 likes this.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,878 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
    Um, if your iphone4 takes that long, there's something wrong. Just pulled out my 3gs and it opens almost instantly. Not even a half second.
    are you for real? It takes my 4 five seconds, open your task switcher and delete the Settings then launch it and see if it takes 1/2 a second. If I'm comparing them I have to do it fairly.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)