Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By eprisencc
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

Default Iphone 5 restored from iCloud. No Cellular Data AT&T.

Searched the forums for this issue and I haven't seen it yet. I am on ATT and I restored my phone from a 4S Backup of my old phone. Once all the settings have been restored the cellular data no longer works. Wifi works fine however. I have reset the network settings done a hard and soft reset and nothing seems to fix it. If I restore and set up as a new phone cellular data works fine. Anyone else experience this type of problem? Any other ideas to fix it?

Thanks
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,928 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

All you can do is restore and set up as new .. Or try a older backup

Global Posts
    4,358 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

Maybe a dumb question, but did you remove the sim card and put it back in?
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

I have not tried that one yet. Didn't work. Problem is setting up as new I have several apps that I don't want to have to set up as new, such as a password app. I could backup my 4s to itunes and then restore the 5 from itunes, as I have been restoring it from iCloud. That will be the next thing I try. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by EEZ123; 09-22-2012 at 03:05 PM.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,928 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I got nothing I would try what you said thou
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I would recommend restoring from your backup then turn the ☎ off for about half hour. If that doesn't work like it was siggested turn it off remove the SIM and turn it on when it says no SIM power it down and replace the SIM and reboot. You just want to reset the system. If all else fails take it in to an 🍎 store and have them swap it out. If the same thing happens get a new SIM. You might also need to contact the carier (AT&T or Verizon) they might need to re-activate your account. When I bought my 📱 4 they scanned the ☎ and SIM but it just wouldn't pick up my number and activate. I had to go in to the carier and they scanned the SIM again and this time it activated in their system correctly.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

Looks like I have a few things I can try. Thanks for the responses.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    630 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Less drastic than restoring, maybe try

Settings -> General -> Reset (at the bottom) -> Reset Network Settings

This will clear saved wifi passwords so have it handy if you don't know it already.
    robert
    iPhone 6 64GB White/Silver (VZW)
    iPhone 5 32GB Black/Slate (VZW)
    iPhone 4 16GB (AT&T)
    iPhone 8GB (AT&T)
    iPad Mini 32GB (WiFi)
    iPad 2 3G 32GB (AT&T)
    Quickly sync files between your desktop and iPhone with DropBox
    Keep passwords secure with Lastpass
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

This illustrates why apple should add selective restores and/or maybe a way to restore apps and springboard layout only. Most apps return settings once you sign back in and data can be backed up manually with ifunbox.
    Heisenberg and robertk328 like this.
    iPhone Nanite

I also had no cellular data. I spent 3 hrs on the phone with AT&T, they finally said I had to go to a store and get a new sim. They put a new sim in and it now works.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    630 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by eprisencc View Post
    This illustrates why apple should add selective restores and/or maybe a way to restore apps and springboard layout only. Most apps return settings once you sign back in and data can be backed up manually with ifunbox.
    Definitely. There are some things I'd like to restore, others I'd like to just start over.
    robert
    iPhone 6 64GB White/Silver (VZW)
    iPhone 5 32GB Black/Slate (VZW)
    iPhone 4 16GB (AT&T)
    iPhone 8GB (AT&T)
    iPad Mini 32GB (WiFi)
    iPad 2 3G 32GB (AT&T)
    Quickly sync files between your desktop and iPhone with DropBox
    Keep passwords secure with Lastpass
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

So I have tried, reset all settings, reset network settings, restored from an iTunes backup, hard reset. I will try a new SIM card from at&t and then off to the Apple store if that doesn't work. Weird how data works though if I set it up as a new phone, but once I restore from any backup of my 4s it no longer works. The SIM card in this phone is the second one already. I purchased the iPhone5 on the Apple store app under a different number that had an upgdrade on my account. When I restored it with my 4s backup the first time a message came up. It said something like this phone is for phone # xxx-xxx-xxxx (the phone number I had used for the upgrade), that was after I had swapped SIM cards too. I don't know if that has anything to do with it?? Hopefully I can fix with a SIM swap. And if not hopefully apple has a phone in stock. No data is no bueno.. Thankfully I have wifi at home and work, so I have been able to use that.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,333 Global Posts
    iOS Version

When I restored my 5 from my 4S backup, couldn't get cellular data going. Ordered from apple.com. Had to call AT&T to get new sim activated (since my plan was not LTE provisioned)

Global Posts
    4,358 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

I'm pretty sure when you go to the Apple Store they're going to restore the phone as new, see that it gets
    cell coverage, and just determine that there isn't a hardware problem with your phone. But let us know how
    it goes.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

Default Re: Iphone 5 restored from iCloud. No Cellular Data AT&T.

Made it to the Apple store and after erasing the iPhone I had cellular data again. The Genius was empathetic to my situation but there was no other option than to set up as a new phone. He said I most likely had a corrupt file causing the problem with no celluar data. So I spent most of the day re-installing apps and restoring things. But I've got a clean install now I guess.