Iphone 5 restored from iCloud. No Cellular Data AT&T.

EEZ123

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Searched the forums for this issue and I haven't seen it yet. I am on ATT and I restored my phone from a 4S Backup of my old phone. Once all the settings have been restored the cellular data no longer works. Wifi works fine however. I have reset the network settings done a hard and soft reset and nothing seems to fix it. If I restore and set up as a new phone cellular data works fine. Anyone else experience this type of problem? Any other ideas to fix it?

Thanks

EEZ123

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I have not tried that one yet. Didn't work. Problem is setting up as new I have several apps that I don't want to have to set up as new, such as a password app. I could backup my 4s to itunes and then restore the 5 from itunes, as I have been restoring it from iCloud. That will be the next thing I try. Any other ideas?

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I would recommend restoring from your backup then turn the ☎ off for about half hour. If that doesn't work like it was siggested turn it off remove the SIM and turn it on when it says no SIM power it down and replace the SIM and reboot. You just want to reset the system. If all else fails take it in to an 🍎 store and have them swap it out. If the same thing happens get a new SIM. You might also need to contact the carier (AT&T or Verizon) they might need to re-activate your account. When I bought my 📱 4 they scanned the ☎ and SIM but it just wouldn't pick up my number and activate. I had to go in to the carier and they scanned the SIM again and this time it activated in their system correctly.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Less drastic than restoring, maybe try

Settings -> General -> Reset (at the bottom) -> Reset Network Settings

This will clear saved wifi passwords so have it handy if you don't know it already.

eprisencc

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
This illustrates why apple should add selective restores and/or maybe a way to restore apps and springboard layout only. Most apps return settings once you sign back in and data can be backed up manually with ifunbox.

Bambam3883

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I also had no cellular data. I spent 3 hrs on the phone with AT&T, they finally said I had to go to a store and get a new sim. They put a new sim in and it now works.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This illustrates why apple should add selective restores and/or maybe a way to restore apps and springboard layout only. Most apps return settings once you sign back in and data can be backed up manually with ifunbox.

Definitely. There are some things I'd like to restore, others I'd like to just start over.

EEZ123

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
So I have tried, reset all settings, reset network settings, restored from an iTunes backup, hard reset. I will try a new SIM card from at&t and then off to the Apple store if that doesn't work. Weird how data works though if I set it up as a new phone, but once I restore from any backup of my 4s it no longer works. The SIM card in this phone is the second one already. I purchased the iPhone5 on the Apple store app under a different number that had an upgdrade on my account. When I restored it with my 4s backup the first time a message came up. It said something like this phone is for phone # xxx-xxx-xxxx (the phone number I had used for the upgrade), that was after I had swapped SIM cards too. I don't know if that has anything to do with it?? Hopefully I can fix with a SIM swap. And if not hopefully apple has a phone in stock. No data is no bueno.. Thankfully I have wifi at home and work, so I have been able to use that.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
When I restored my 5 from my 4S backup, couldn't get cellular data going. Ordered from apple.com. Had to call AT&T to get new sim activated (since my plan was not LTE provisioned)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm pretty sure when you go to the Apple Store they're going to restore the phone as new, see that it gets
cell coverage, and just determine that there isn't a hardware problem with your phone. But let us know how
it goes.

EEZ123

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Made it to the Apple store and after erasing the iPhone I had cellular data again. The Genius was empathetic to my situation but there was no other option than to set up as a new phone. He said I most likely had a corrupt file causing the problem with no celluar data. So I spent most of the day re-installing apps and restoring things. But I've got a clean install now I guess.

nnj4x4trails

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
FOUND A FIX, and it has to do with profiles and APN's. I had this same problem after going from iphone 4 to a new 5S on verizon.

I had good cellular data only after doing factory resets, but would lose it as soon as I restored from my old backup.

So, what you have to do is:

Get connected via wifi, then open a web browser.

Go to: unlockit.co.nz. (I had my doubts, but saw other references to this working and at worst could just reset the phone again)

Click on the bottom middle button that says 'Create APN'.

Choose your provider from the dropdown.

Click "Install". You will now have cellular data back.

What it does is create a "cellullar profile" you can find under "Settings>General". I don't know what it does really, and contacted Apple for explanation. They said it is a carrier setting, so i will be following up with Verizon ASAP tomorrow (Monday) to make sure it is legit, but at least this gives me my data back, and shows an actual issue to pursue, whether or not this is the correct fix for it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal