How is your iPhone 5 battery life?

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I restored from a backup and noticed my battery life is very hit and miss. I am going to wipe it and restore as a new device later tonight.

kizax

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I think that the iphone 5 battery in combination with the new processor is the best on the market at the moment. I switched from the s3 with 2100mah back to the iphone.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
That's amazing.... I'm wondering if you are doing anything different than I am? Where do you have your brightness setting at and how many emails do you have and do you have push on?
Any other tips you can give us. I consider my battery life pretty good but never have gotten for than a day out of it.

The phone was set up as a new phone. I do have push on and I get upwards of thirty emails a day pushed to my phone. As above, apart from about three hours, this has all been on wifi. I have the 'Do Not Disturb' feature on from 23:00 to 07:00 and overnight during that period I will lose maybe 4% battery.

Brightness is set to auto but at about 35% I reckon. I have screen timeout set to one minute and notifications off except for my two primary email accounts and Twitter.

In all honesty, i'm not doing anything different than I do with my Samsung Galaxy S3 but that battery only lasts 18 hours if i'm careful. Maybe I have a really good battery but I am blown away by how long it's lasting!

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
This battery in the iP5 sucks. That sums it up for all you "lurkers" out there.

To all of you getting a day + ... If you actually use it as a mobile phone, it will drain faster. Staying on wifi all day long, while it was a dream of Steve's to have an Apple network, will of course make your battery (in any smartphone) last longer.

This is why the 4S didn't have it. And apparently, one more year didn't make a whole lot of difference.

This bums me out. I took mine back. Back to using the iP4. For my usage, the range anxiety got to me, which basically makes the iP5 as useless as a bucket under a bull.

Last edited:

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I only used it as a phone for about 40 minutes out of my total time, it's true. Basically, mountainman, you had crappy battery life, my phone has great battery life. C'est la vie.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely LuV the battery life on my iPhone 5. :)

a6uvu8u7.jpg

agu8y4um.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What are your settings and what are you using your phone for? LTE? Wifi?

WiFi & LTE always on, brightness is set to 40% with auto-brightness off, push mail mail is off, instead I have it set to fetch every 30 minutes. One thing I always do and I know they say you don't have to with these types of batteries, is to discharge the battery completely for 3 cycles. I've always done this with any new phone and thankfully never had an iPhone that had poor battery life.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Easy to love the battery when you don't use the phone.

I actually use my phone all day, since I'm in the field working 12hrs everyday & my battery life is great. And no I'm not always on wifi. I travel around the country to different hospital sites & its a huge pain to setup wifi in each place so I don't. I'm only on wifi in my hotel room, which is not very often.

I hate you had a bad battery experience but its not possible to please everybody...it is what it is!!

PittsPgh

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I think that the iphone 5 battery in combination with the new processor is the best on the market at the moment. I switched from the s3 with 2100mah back to the iphone.

Ya think so!? I thought I was going to be reading better battery performance than what I just did. best I've seen here is about 10-11 hours. Nowhere near the 24+ hours. And that is NOT just sitting on the table.

Paul

asuprice

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is still looking good here after about a week. This is with LTE. Push notification for three emails, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, And a few other random applications

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348922006.941710.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348922006.941710.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 53

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Light to heavy usage from the last couple of days.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348922600.925635.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348922600.925635.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 52

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This battery in the iP5 sucks. That sums it up for all you "lurkers" out there.

To all of you getting a day + ... If you actually use it as a mobile phone, it will drain faster. Staying on wifi all day long, while it was a dream of Steve's to have an Apple network, will of course make your battery (in any smartphone) last longer.

Just because you and some others got one that has poor battery life does not mean the battery life sucks for everyone. What it means is that it sucked for you. For your information, I am not on WiFi all day and I actually do use my iPhone 5 for the 8+ hours that are displayed in my screenshot. One hour a day is music use, the rest of it is; calls, email, messaging, and safari & Tapatalk use.

Easy to love the battery when you don't use the phone.

It's easy to hate on a product when you get one that has issues....

As stated above, I do use my iPhone 5 and love it. Best iPhone Eva!! :D

---------- Post Merged at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:45 AM ----------

I actually use my phone all day, since I'm in the field working 12hrs everyday & my battery life is great. And no I'm not always on wifi. I travel around the country to different hospital sites & its a huge pain to setup wifi in each place so I don't. I'm only on wifi in my hotel room, which is not very often.

I hate you had a bad battery experience but its not possible to please everybody...it is what it is!!
Agreed 100%. I am also getting great battery life along with you and many others that I've read about on another site.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Any advantage or impact to battery life to turning off LTE if not in an LTE area?
Not from what I am seeing. 2 miles from my house has LTE, while my direct area does not. I leave LTE set to on anyway as it doesn't seem to have a impact on my battery life so far.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Any advantage or impact to battery life to turning off LTE if not in an LTE area?

The only time it would effect it would probably be if you are getting a very borderline poor LTE signal. Then I'd probably turn it off until it improves.

jtexans

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I lose about 1% per hour while on standby. Battery was good first couple of days...got bad last 2. Gotta figure out which app is doing that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal