How is your iPhone 5 battery life?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
How's the battery working for you?

I'm on the fence about this. One caveat is that I keep brightness at 100%. But still, not the greatest battery life in my opinion. Especially when much of this was on wifi.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348625261.288214.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348625261.288214.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 180

peterrkim

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
i've got similar battery life. i use only lte on verizon. no wifi where i work and wifi at home is spotty at home so i only use my phone generally. glad to see someone who uses lte only have similar battery life. i feel like listening to music really bumps up that usage time

vrs626

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
First time iPhone user so a couple of questions...

1. I've experienced about 1 percent drop in battery every 3 minutes or so when browsing, emailing, using Twitter while on LTE (strong signal). Is this about what's to be expected?

2. When streaming (Tune In Radio mostly) I'm losing about 25-30 percent battery an hour. This seems like way too much drain to me. Thoughts?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Mine is marginal at this point. I spend about 2 hours today in an area where 4G/LTE was pretty weak, and I noticed it switching back and forth... plus a trip to the Apple store where LTE was horrible... in fact, I ended up on EDGE for a bit before connecting to their wifi. Also, played with the camera quite a bit today. Still, in all, not a bad first day with the phone. Gonna charge it up overnight and see what happens tomorrow.

IMG_0746.PNG

anon(4708383)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

First time iPhone user so a couple of questions...

1. I've experienced about 1 percent drop in battery every 3 minutes or so when browsing, emailing, using Twitter while on LTE (strong signal). Is this about what's to be expected?

2. When streaming (Tune In Radio mostly) I'm losing about 25-30 percent battery an hour. This seems like way too much drain to me. Thoughts?

I feel like it is! When I used my iPhone, I would charge it to
100% and use it all day long and at the end of the day have 20% left with email checks, web browsing, twitter, and Facebook. On my iPhone 5 instead of getting 20 I get 8-9% left

jdragione

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Not as good as the 4S IMO but for the LTE trade off I will deal with it. Once Mophie releases a charging case for this phone it won't be an issue anymore

vrs626

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So far today with some emails, texting, Twitter and Facebook. No streaming. Wifi turned off. Strong LTE signal. Something has to be wrong...

image.jpg

smmullen

Aug 31, 2011
www.endgamepr.com
I did a full battery run-down yesterday. Here are the results. I was pretty happy with it. Obviously I was using it a LOT yesterday! A good chunk of this time was using wi-fi, but I have everything (GPS, bluetooth, wifi) turned on and when I wasn't connected to wi-fi I was on LTE. I'm going out of town this weekend to an area that has no LTE, so I'll turn it off and go with only 3G. I'm curious to see how that impacts the battery.

photo.PNG

F34R

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence about this. One caveat is that I keep brightness at 100%. But still, not the greatest battery life in my opinion. Especially when much of this was on wifi.
I'm going to turn my brightness on "eye bleed" lol, and see how my battery life runs.
Mine is marginal at this point. I spend about 2 hours today in an area where 4G/LTE was pretty weak, and I noticed it switching back and forth... plus a trip to the Apple store where LTE was horrible... in fact, I ended up on EDGE for a bit before connecting to their wifi. Also, played with the camera quite a bit today. Still, in all, not a bad first day with the phone. Gonna charge it up overnight and see what happens tomorrow.

View attachment 19749

That signal looks horrible to say the least. If that's an "all the time" kinda deal, I'd start suspecting that to begin with. I'm at -71 with the signal.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That signal looks horrible to say the least. If that's an "all the time" kinda deal, I'd start suspecting that to begin with. I'm at -71 with the signal.

It's not "all the time", but it is quite typical of what I've been seeing... just now it's -90...

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

5ypygabu.jpg

My battery life has been great. This cycle has been texting, Facebook, games, YouTube, web browsing, reading gamefly news. Loving it!!

Beamed from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

I got 9 hours and 42 minutes on standby and 2 hours 32 minutes usage and I still have 49% battery left my iPhone 4S would have been dead by noon lol

MarisaKaye72

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

My battery is definitely better than on my 4S.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348707652.888566.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348707652.888566.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 214

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My issues are clearly that I'm on the edge of an LTE area... signal is -90 at best... and as bad as -120... I turned off LTE and my my signal immediately jumped to -80 and battery drain slowed tremendously. Speed is nice, but speed kills (your battery, at least... in my neighborhood).

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Obviously how you manage your settings will greatly impact your battery life. For me, I prefer to use my phone how I wish without limitations and just charge it more often.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348713902.702245.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348713902.702245.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 211

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I had about 40% battery left after 6 hours usage and 10 hours standby. This was a LOT of alerts, texting, and some games.

I'll post a screenshot of a more typical usage case for me tomorrow. Usually when I get home after 10 hours off charge I'm at 50%.

larryganz

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
As per my previous posts - after I got rid of all the duplicated "ghost" voice memos that didn't exist, Audible.com books, and corrupted music files > I was able to restore the iPhone 5 from a backup of my 4S without it failing midway through the restore like it did all the other times.

And this vastly improved battery life. I am able to finally upload my screen shot (17 hours 21 minutes standby + 4 hours 36 minutes usage > 8% remaining). The phone was basically unplugged at 9:30AM one day, and was still at 8% by 2:51AM the next morning. Basically, when I don't use the phone it seems like it would standby forever, but it was draining a bit faster than I'd like at about 13-15% per hour when I'm actively using it to surf, download, talk or watch video.

I was afraid that if I used it constantly I could drain it in about 6-7 hours, and not the 8-10 hours that Apple promises, so I went ahead and did the "reset all data" this morning. Today, although I only had the phone on for 12.5 hours, and used it for 1.6 hours, it only dropped to 70% = theoretically leaving a 10% charge after 36 hours, with about 5 hours of use.

17-21 hours battery.jpg

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Battery life on mine (so far) seems decent. I had great battery life on my 4S considering I'm a pretty heavy user. If its on par with my 4S I'll be happy.

One thing I experienced that may help others out - when I restored the device from iCloud battery life was awful. I wiped the device and restored from iTunes and its been much better. I'm not sure why/how this would happen but I thought I'd mention it.

For all those who have had this battery drain issue as a result of a backup restore from an earlier iPhone, did you upgrade to iOS6 on your old iPhone before you purchased the iPhone 5 and did a backup restore from the old iPhone?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73