How is your iPhone 5 battery life?

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
My battery life wifi 70% of the time. More than half of this usage time is playing games I'm not sure if it would be much better or slightly better if I didn't play games.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1350281187.885998.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1350281187.885998.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 53

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
My battery life wifi 70% of the time. More than half of this usage time is playing games I'm not sure if it would be much better or slightly better if I didn't play games.

I can attest that anything media rich like games are gonna impact your battery that way. However, 5 1/2 hours usage over well over a day with 17% left isn't anything to sneeze at. My absolute best when the phone finally died was at about 8 1/2 hours usage in almost 3 days, but I pretty much only read and listened to music during that timeframe, nothing really graphics intensive or anything, and no phone calls. I also don't have many things with push notifications either.

When I play games and things, I get about 6 1/2 - 7 hours usage.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
About an hour of just music use; 2 hours of Wifi usage; and the rest is LTE.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1350317463.974064.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1350317463.974064.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 49

vrs626

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Even better than before! I think my battery is becoming seasoned.

View attachment 20887

I don't know why there are such major differences other than the possibility that some people just got phones with not so great batteries. It could also be usage types - I use my iPad for more media rich things, for example, and use my phone for text based communications and music. I don't really use my phone as a phone much - I'm not a real chatty person. So that may explain why I have battery life like this and others may have different stories. I don't know.

How much of that useage is over wifi? I can get better than that over wifi, but on cellular data I've come nowhere near close to 7 hours. 4-5 hours tops over LTE or 3G.

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I can attest that anything media rich like games are gonna impact your battery that way. However, 5 1/2 hours usage over well over a day with 17% left isn't anything to sneeze at. My absolute best when the phone finally died was at about 8 1/2 hours usage in almost 3 days, but I pretty much only read and listened to music during that timeframe, nothing really graphics intensive or anything, and no phone calls. I also don't have many things with push notifications either.

When I play games and things, I get about 6 1/2 - 7 hours usage.

I didn't listen to music at all in that charge cycle but when I do listen to music it only uses 1 or 2 percent of my battery a hour(headphones) so I think I could get 8 to 9 hours if I did a lot of music too. Here is a screenshot of that same charge cycle at 9% with the rest of the usage being games to burn my battery before I charged it.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1350329441.116760.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1350329441.116760.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 45

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
How much of that useage is over wifi? I can get better than that over wifi, but on cellular data I've come nowhere near close to 7 hours. 4-5 hours tops over LTE or 3G.

It's about 70% wifi, 25% LTE, 5% 3G, but like I've said, I don't really do media rich things with my phone (like videos and games) - that's what I use my iPad for. So that is probably why I generally get such good battery life on my phone. My phone is music, text based communicating and reading articles and things, and some occasional GPS use.

All of this said, I'm a convert from Android. While I really enjoyed my android based phones, I never got standby times like that. I could get maybe 12-15 hours tops on my android based phones no matter what I did, and no matter how little I used the phone. The iPhone, however, I charge about every other day to every third day, which is phenomenal.

And also, using LTE or 3G and GPS means I can practically watch the battery drain before my eyes. If I was not in a situation where I am pretty much always in wifi range, I may not get this kind of result. Everyone's situation is different and everyone uses their phone in different ways. :)

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
This phone is like dr. Jekyll and Mr. iPhone 5...on wifi battery life's outstanding, much better than my 4s, on cell you can literally watch the battery life burn off, even with a 4 or 5 bar 4g or LTE signal.

I hope this is a software glitch, cause as an earlier poster noted its only us AT&T users that seem to be having issues...

aNz

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Been getting good results so far

I have been texting/whatsAppin using facebook, made a few phone calls, music player, emails, ebay, general browsing, and finally a few youtube videos.

Been on 3G between 7am - 4pm and then WiFi onwards.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1350345240.432893.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1350345240.432893.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 42

boldBud

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Still getting solid results on the same charge. My usage has been texting and web browsing. I didn't make any calls or play any games. I did stream some YouTube for about 15 minutes.

However, a couple things have to be noted. Most of this was over Wi-Fi, not 3G/LTE. Maybe an hour of that usage was done on 3G and none on LTE. The screen brightness was always at it's dimmest except for a couple of times. The times it wasnt was when I was using the 3G network once and with the screen a quarter - half way up and on 3G the battery did drain pretty quick.

My email is manual, location services are off except for some basic stuff, and I wasn't on LTE at all (chose not to go on for now).

Hoping that a software update fixes how fast the battery drains on the cellular network.

Attachments

• iphone5batterystats2.png
    iphone5batterystats2.png
    124 KB · Views: 41

vrs626

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This phone is like dr. Jekyll and Mr. iPhone 5...on wifi battery life's outstanding, much better than my 4s, on cell you can literally watch the battery life burn off, even with a 4 or 5 bar 4g or LTE signal.

I hope this is a software glitch, cause as an earlier poster noted its only us AT&T users that seem to be having issues...

I'm on Verizon and I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Doing anything over LTE or 3G literally melts battery life. Hopefully it's software related and not a hardware issue.

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone who has exchanged their iPhone 5 think that the battery performance is much better with their new units? Other than those who clearly had something wrong (I.e. not getting more than 2-3 hours of use or standby, unit running hot, etc.).

The reason I ask is the my iPhone 5 is otherwise great, no screen, case or other issues and it seems like the vast difference between cell usage life and wifi usage life that I'm experiencing is what many of you are seeing and I don't want too go through the hassle of an exchange and get no where (or be worse off).

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon and I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Doing anything over LTE or 3G literally melts battery life. Hopefully it's software related and not a hardware issue.

I have noticed while I was streaming football on Sunday at the park it did use more battery but not horribly ... My phone is solid an got it on release day
a2age2ap.jpg

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

I agree, it's mostly us AT&T users who are having battery life issues. Like you said my phone does well on Wi Fi but on 4G I can watch the battery drain tick by tick lol. On average I can get about 5 maybe 6 hours of usage and 5-7 hours on standby. I think it's a glitch with IOS 6 and/ or AT&T network or SIM card or something.

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed while I was streaming football on Sunday at the park it did use more battery but not horribly ... My phone is solid an got it on release day http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/17/a2age2ap.jpg

Pelligro, can you share your usage patterns and settings with us (e.g. Push email, %wifi vs 4g/LTE, brightness, etc). I got 9.25 hours of usage the other day, but that was 90%+ on wifi, yesterday 90%+ on 4g/lte my usage was about 5 hours.

Althought this seems in line with the test results obtained by ilounge.com you and others suggest that you get 9+ even with substantial 4g/lte usage, hence my confusion and concern that I have a defective or sub-standard iPhone...

anon4783121

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine has been good. In Memphis, Tn with AT&T's LTE here only time it gets bad is when I have low coverage and when it runs on 4G in a few spotty areas. Battery tends to drain waaaaay too fast then.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Pelligro, can you share your usage patterns and settings with us (e.g. Push email, %wifi vs 4g/LTE, brightness, etc). I got 9.25 hours of usage the other day, but that was 90%+ on wifi, yesterday 90%+ on 4g/lte my usage was about 5 hours.

Althought this seems in line with the test results obtained by ilounge.com you and others suggest that you get 9+ even with substantial 4g/lte usage, hence my confusion and concern that I have a defective or sub-standard iPhone...

On that day it was about 90 percent wifi .. On days where I'm am about 50/50 my usage is around 9 hours

Brightness is at half / auto

I have a exchange and my iCloud set to push

All location settings and push notifications are on

I have send data to apple off

Since having my phone I have never gotten less than 7.50 usage under any situation

What I find funny is I restored from a backup also vs setting up as new

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711