Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
atyrabyz.jpg

Prob get a couple more min but man this thing last a long time lol

hermandgerman

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
New to the forum, but not new to the iPhone (or mac). I've noticed battery issues are more predominant on At&t models, but not completely isolated to At&t either. I don't know what for sure is happening (if it's hardware or software), but I DO KNOW, that if you have the issue on your phone, it cannot be removed using/doing ANYTHING to the phone. I've spent countless hours to prove that (selfishly, because I really want a phone that functions like my 4s did).

Posted this response in another thread here but figured it would help here:

There is no "fix" to the battery life that you can execute. Apple has to fix it. It's either iOS 6 or a hardware failure in the iPhone 5 (or a little of both). I'm swaying towards iOS 6 since I know of 6 people who have upgraded their iphone 4, 4s, ipad 2, ipad 3's and have battery drain issues that were SEVERE. For instance, my ipad 3 (never updated, thankfully) gets about 5 days of battery life. My friend's ipad 3 was updated to iOS 6 and now gets about 23 hours of total runtime.

I'm on my second 5, tried everything (yes, everything) to get it to be right. Different restores, toggle options on/off, Reset settings, etc,etc. Finally a DFU restore with deleting the IPSW in itunes prior to the restore, and set up as a new phone. I get approx 4.5 hours of usage and 16 hours of standby....on a daily basis. That's AWFUL. My former 4S on iOS 5 gets an average of 10 hours of usage and 1.25 days or standby. Apple has called me direct (their engineering dept in CA) to run a battery profile (tracks battery use) and send that info to them. They know they failed, the question is how long it will take to get a fix.....AND....whether hardware is involved in the problem. Remember what the solution was for the iPhone 4 and it's faulty antenna? a bumper. That's not a 'fix', that's called a band-aid. That's like buying a new Lexus and it has awful wind noise, when you bring it back to the dealer, he say's "yeah, we're aware of it....we're really sorry. Here's a fix for that".....and then hands you a pair or earplugs and pats you on the back.

hermandgerman

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
This is from my 4s on iOS 5, these numbers are from HEAVY usage (streaming radio while surfing web, and over an hour+ of phone calls).

The other is from my iphone 5 with light usage, set up as a new phone (NO BACKUP) .....WITHOUT ever syncing to itunes.....

Attachments

• 4s at 3%_thumb.jpg
    4s at 3%_thumb.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 64
  • photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    106.7 KB · Views: 66

bgesullo

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
My battery life has been pretty good. I have about 5+ email accounts on my device all on push notification. I leave my LTE but don't have LTE in my area. My typical day starts at 7am and I am out and about till a 9pm during the week and usually come home with 20 % battery life. I am a manager of a retail store so I am getting 50+ emails a day, using pandora, a bunch of phone calls , sometimes 30 minute conference calls and texting/facebook as well. Check out my usage from the other day!

IMG_0069.PNG

hermandgerman

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
If post #222 and post #223 doesn't sum up the problem with the iOS 6/Iphone 5.....I don't know what else can.

Just look at the disparity in the two results. There is something bad going on.....and I hope it's not another 'antenna' like/hardware problem with a free bumper as a "fix".

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Going strong...

My battery life so far

If post #222 and post #223 doesn't sum up the problem with the iOS 6/Iphone 5.....I don't know what else can.

Just look at the disparity in the two results. There is something bad going on.....and I hope it's not another 'antenna' like/hardware problem with a free bumper as a "fix".

Not everyone is unhappy with their battery life... I am getting through a full day with moderate use - about 60% of my day on LTE and finishing up with more that 30% battery remaining... I'm not saying that you and others aren't seeing less, but just because some are seeing less doesn't mean that everyone does.

Give Apple a chance to update the iOS with the typical battery tweaks that follow a major release before jumping off a ledge.

Retconaddict

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Not everyone is unhappy with their battery life... I am getting through a full day with moderate use - about 60% of my day on LTE and finishing up with more that 30% battery remaining... I'm not saying that you and others aren't seeing less, but just because some are seeing less doesn't mean that everyone does.

Give Apple a chance to update the iOS with the typical battery tweaks that follow a major release before jumping off a ledge.

You must agree its very odd that two different phones that have the exact same software have such a drastic difference in battery life. And how will they fix it if half (a guess) of the phones do not experience the battery problem? It's very odd.

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
This is beyond ridiculous. Thought the dfu restore fixed my phone but it didn't. Been texting a friend for the past hour and that's all.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350165986.643721.jpg

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
You must agree its very odd that two different phones that have the exact same software have such a drastic difference in battery life. And how will they fix it if half (a guess) of the phones do not experience the battery problem? It's very odd.

Yeah, it's strange... but what about settings? There are many settings that a user can alter to affect battery life. I'm not saying there's no issue anywhere, but I am saying, there's enough people with decent to good battery life to keep one from falling on the sword over it just yet... give Apple time to investigate and release a fix... and keep a charging cable handy in the meantime.

boldBud

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Not sure whether this is good or not. Seems average - below average here, but seemed great on the Apple Community forums.

48% left - usage is 4hrs 31mins and stanby is 17hrs 10mins. Screen brightness turned down, Bluetooth off, wifi-on while browsing most of the day, no LTE, mail isn't pushed, location services only on for Siri, Weather, etc. iCloud off.

None of the usage was actually spent doing minimal battery drains, though, like listening to music. I streamed for 15-20 minutes, browsed for a while, used the camera a bit, checked email.

hermandgerman

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

Yes, your right. Not everyone 'seems' to be affected by the issue. I just ran into 3 people that work IT at a local national company (fortune 500). 2 out of the 3 people had an iPhone 5 in their hand. I asked them "how do you like the battery life"....they respond "it's great!". I asked them how long it lasts. They both stated "just about a day", I asked how much do you use it during the day and they said not very much, as they sit at their computers for more than half the day. We then compared our usage stats, where I showed them my former 4s (on iOS 5) numbers and their jaw dropped. You see....they had NO idea what the "standard" actually IS for battery life, as both of them had droid phones....this was their first iPhone.

My point is....You have to be informed/educated on what "normal" is before you can pass judgement on whether something is working "great"....as in this case, Ignorance is indeed bliss.

No one is "jumping off a ledge", at least I hope not. I am unhappy with Apple this time, as after the iphone 4 antenna DISASTER, I thought they would have learned something valuable....they didn't.

---------- Post Merged at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:30 AM ----------

Yeah, it's strange... but what about settings? There are many settings that a user can alter to affect battery life. I'm not saying there's no issue anywhere, but I am saying, there's enough people with decent to good battery life to keep one from falling on the sword over it just yet... give Apple time to investigate and release a fix... and keep a charging cable handy in the meantime.

You can't alter enough settings to produce battery life with such disparity short of turning airplane mode on.

"there's enough people with decent battery life to keep one from falling on the sword over it" Huh? So I should happy with my defunct iphone 5 I just paid $650.00 for because somewhere, Bob Smith has a phone that works great? No logic brother, sorry.

I was contacted by Apple and ran/sent battery profile log info to them this past week. I was contacted by 4 other people who stated they also did the same a few weeks ago. How long does it take to issue an update? This isn't isolated, and it began around Sept 22-ish.........https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4310494?start=1065&tstart=0........AND..........https://discussions.apple.com/message/20010004?ac_cid=tw123456#20010004.

Can't keep a spare charging cable handy.....because......they don't have them available. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD818ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-cable?fnode=45 and http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=48

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Even better than before! I think my battery is becoming seasoned.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350197949.754110.jpg

I don't know why there are such major differences other than the possibility that some people just got phones with not so great batteries. It could also be usage types - I use my iPad for more media rich things, for example, and use my phone for text based communications and music. I don't really use my phone as a phone much - I'm not a real chatty person. So that may explain why I have battery life like this and others may have different stories. I don't know.

anon(2353369)

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Even better than before! I think my battery is becoming seasoned.

View attachment 20887

I don't know why there are such major differences other than the possibility that some people just got phones with not so great batteries. It could also be usage types - I use my iPad for more media rich things, for example, and use my phone for text based communications and music. I don't really use my phone as a phone much - I'm not a real chatty person. So that may explain why I have battery life like this and others may have different stories. I don't know.

Hey michikade, i went under that battery life and i have Sprint as well :D

Sent from my iP5 using Tapatalk

lhunt316

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone is doing well. Just struggling with only 1 charger. I'm so used to having one in the car, at work and at home that its a pain to have to remember to carry my charger with me if I'm not going to be at home for a couple of days.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, your right. Not everyone 'seems' to be affected by the issue. I just ran into 3 people that work IT at a local national company (fortune 500). 2 out of the 3 people had an iPhone 5 in their hand. I asked them "how do you like the battery life"....they respond "it's great!". I asked them how long it lasts. They both stated "just about a day", I asked how much do you use it during the day and they said not very much, as they sit at their computers for more than half the day. We then compared our usage stats, where I showed them my former 4s (on iOS 5) numbers and their jaw dropped. You see....they had NO idea what the "standard" actually IS for battery life, as both of them had droid phones....this was their first iPhone.

My point is....You have to be informed/educated on what "normal" is before you can pass judgement on whether something is working "great"....as in this case, Ignorance is indeed bliss.

No one is "jumping off a ledge", at least I hope not. I am unhappy with Apple this time, as after the iphone 4 antenna DISASTER, I thought they would have learned something valuable....they didn't.

---------- Post Merged at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:30 AM ----------

You can't alter enough settings to produce battery life with such disparity short of turning airplane mode on.

"there's enough people with decent battery life to keep one from falling on the sword over it" Huh? So I should happy with my defunct iphone 5 I just paid $650.00 for because somewhere, Bob Smith has a phone that works great? No logic brother, sorry.

I was contacted by Apple and ran/sent battery profile log info to them this past week. I was contacted by 4 other people who stated they also did the same a few weeks ago. How long does it take to issue an update? This isn't isolated, and it began around Sept 22-ish.........https://discussions.apple.com/threa...com/message/20010004?ac_cid=tw123456#20010004.

Can't keep a spare charging cable handy.....because......they don't have them available. Lightning to USB Cable - Apple Store (U.S.) and Lightning to 30-pin Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

Ok, I get it. Some people are having issues with battery life... but not everyone. I am using my iPhone 5 exactly the same way I used my iPhone 4S and am not seeing any negative battery life issues. I'm on wifi about 30-40% of my day. The rest is on LTE (before someone gets snippy and comments, yes, the 4S was on 3G/"4G"). I get about 18-20 hours of standby and 5-6 hours of actual usage - email, surfing, some music, some phone calls, texting, twitter, an occasional video or two... and no complaints.

Regarding the statement about no setting short of airplane mode can make that much of a difference, again, I'd disagree. When testing my battery, in order to drain it completely, I set brightness level up to the max... when I was done testing, I forgot to reset the brightness setting... and it absolutely killed my battery... so there are some settings that can have huge impact... location settings and push notifications for everything, as well, will hurt battery longevity.

Again, I get it, that you are having issues. You can continue to complain here, you can do some detective work and see what you can tweak to help, you can wait for Apple to release an updated version of iOS, or you can take your phone to an Apple store and have them look at it for you...

Just trying to help.

Retconaddict

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I get it. Some people are having issues with battery life... but not everyone. I am using my iPhone 5 exactly the same way I used my iPhone 4S and am not seeing any negative battery life issues. I'm on wifi about 30-40% of my day. The rest is on LTE (before someone gets snippy and comments, yes, the 4S was on 3G/"4G"). I get about 18-20 hours of standby and 5-6 hours of actual usage - email, surfing, some music, some phone calls, texting, twitter, an occasional video or two... and no complaints.

Regarding the statement about no setting short of airplane mode can make that much of a difference, again, I'd disagree. When testing my battery, in order to drain it completely, I set brightness level up to the max... when I was done testing, I forgot to reset the brightness setting... and it absolutely killed my battery... so there are some settings that can have huge impact... location settings and push notifications for everything, as well, will hurt battery longevity.

Again, I get it, that you are having issues. You can continue to complain here, you can do some detective work and see what you can tweak to help, you can wait for Apple to release an updated version of iOS, or you can take your phone to an Apple store and have them look at it for you...

Just trying to help.

I've actually turned off a lot of the settings, far more than on my 4S - Bluetooth is off, so is LGE, notifications and services are off on all apps but 4, Siri is turned off completely, in "system services" I have everything turned off but "cell network search", "diagnostics and usage" and "setting time zone" and I'm still getting around half of the battery life my 4S got. It makes me wonder as well, what's the point in having a smart phone if I have to turn almost all of the 'smart' features off?

Hackaveli

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone 5 battery life is great :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350257304.845081.jpg

?I don?t sleep, I might miss the opportunity to make a dream become a reality.?? ? 50 cent