Nano-SIM remotely reprogrammable

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I've seen on the Internet that I would need a new nano-SIM for the iPhone 5 because I'm ordering it on my wife's line and switching it to my line that I upgraded last year. Not true! I got a letter yesterday from AT&T telling me that I can just call them and they'll activate me over the phone, and that's exactly what I did today. I now have my iPhone 5 on my line and my old 4S is on my wife's.

The only caveat that made me catch my breath was when she said I'd have to change my Unlimited 3G data plan...

To an Unlimited 4G-LTE data plan at the same price. Whew!

See AT&T's iPhone FAQ for more info.

Did you know? You can use the upgrade eligibility of another number on your account to upgrade your own device! To take advantage of this offer, follow these steps:
1. Upgrade the line that is eligible.
2. When your device arrives, call 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a different wireless device. Enter the wireless number that received the upgrade.
3. Select option #2 to activate your phone on a different mobile number.

What it doesn't mention is that you should not turn on your new iPhone or do anything else until they activate it, or else they'll have to deactivate the other number, which is not a big deal, though.

I'm not sure exactly how it affects other carriers, especially on CDMA, but I hear that they're SIM unlocked, so you can use 3G on any GSM network (though not LTE) just by dropping in the proper nano-SIM, though I doubt you can reprogram them remotely.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Can you call Verizon and wring their necks and shove that info down their throats? xD I sit here STILL with an un-activated iPhone 5 for the same reason.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Can you call Verizon and wring their necks and shove that info down their throats? xD I sit here STILL with an un-activated iPhone 5 for the same reason.

I don't know what differences there might be between Verizon and AT&T and their respective iPhone models, but I thought I read someone saying that they can do the same thing. Maybe it's because their 3G doesn't use SIMs.

Jman1313

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I did the over the phone upgrade swap on AT&T as well. Was completely painless and took 10 minutes to activate both the 5 on my line and swap the IMEI on their system for my old phone on my wife's number. ( and then I swapped sims for her. )

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW