Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Damaged right out of the box :(

So I got my iPhone 5 today. I open it only to find : Damaged right out of the box :(-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1348257067.733730.jpg

A scratch on the mirror finish near the SIM card slot and a sort of ding in the corner. There is also another similar "ding" on another corner. (See next post for corner pics)

Wtf!?

Don't know what to do. Would you guys go in and exchange it or just keep it as its likely to get like that in a few weeks anyway. Plus I doubt that they have extra exchange units available now. If I wait a few weeks to take it in, wont they be like "you did that, so no exchange"?

What you all think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Damaged right out of the box :(-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1348257081.966861.jpg  
    Last edited by fmflex; 09-21-2012 at 03:01 PM.
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Here are better picks of corners. Damaged right out of the box :(-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1348257553.865773.jpgDamaged right out of the box :(-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1348257573.170823.jpg
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts

wow that is terrible. Never had that happen in any one of my phones I ever owned. Still waiting for my 5, I'll be really damn pissed if its damaged.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

If I were keeping mine in a case I would most likely not return it. However, if you are not using a case or a bumper with it, you can call up your local Apple store and see if they'll exchange it for you.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

when i saw the sim card area scratch i thought - too picky. when i saw the corner scratch on the back i thought - thats BS. return it.
    iMore Intermediate

Can't hurt to check at an Apple store. It's "minor" but you want it to be perfect from the get go (I'm sure they'll understand). I doubt they'll have extras right now though.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts

no scratch is picky. when you get a new product it should be new. No marks or scratches. New as in the same one that Apple unveiled, the way Apple designed it. Unless Apple went the bookbook route and designed scratches on every phone so they don't look a like, Id return it =P
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

ok i checked our two phones - one black, one white. i really hadn't looked as closely as you have. both of them have minor imperfections. light scratches and the white one actually has a little nick like your sim card one. maybe a tiny bit less noticeable than yours. i think its inevitable. i still dont like the look of that one on the back of yours.
    iPhone Newbie

Agree with what others said. The little sim scratch is nothing...then you showed the corners. I'd keep ahold of it but call around to apple stores and see what they say in terms of return units
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Oh hell no
    My iPhone has the same ding. I'm with Apple on hold

Apple is giving me a new iphone tomorrow
    If not I have to ship it back and wait.
    Last edited by iJuan; 09-21-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Apple replacing my damaged iPhone
    iEd likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

That's crazy! What'd they do, drop it while trying to insert it in the box? Ridiculous.
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...DSC0257222.jpg
    My first pride and joy: 2008 Mazda3 S Touring
    Second: iPhone!
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Ok just got off the phone with a local Apple store. They said to bring it in tonight and they'll take care of it. Seems like they have units on hand for exchanges. That's why I love Apple!
    iMore Newbie

I don't have an iPhone 5 yet (not eligible for upgrade) ...got to play with one a little bit at Sam's Club today and I got to say just doesn't look as great to me as previous models. Maybe I am being petty and not having the glass back like the iPhone 4 is best but it seems like they dropped the ball on design. Anyone else agree or am I being to petty?
    Thanked by:
    jkmasi (09-21-2012)
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by iJuan View Post
    Oh hell no
    My iPhone has the same ding. I'm with Apple on hold

Apple is giving me a new iphone tomorrow
    If not I have to ship it back and wait.
    I received my iPhone 5, black earlier today. I am on hold with Apple as well right now, 9/21/2012 5:58 PM Eastern prevailing. A small nick on bottom antenna, where the nicely chiseled metal meets the screen, about 7 o'clock from the home button. Everything else about the phone is beautiful, LTE speeds in the ~20 MBPS. I am also on hold for my wife's white iPhone 5 - received today as well. The LCD screen has a yellowish hue that is driving her crazy. Mine has the same hue but I am okay with it.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by khobia2 View Post
    I don't have an iPhone 5 yet (not eligible for upgrade) ...got to play with one a little bit at Sam's Club today and I got to say just doesn't look as great to me as previous models. Maybe I am being petty and not having the glass back like the iPhone 4 is best but it seems like they dropped the ball on design. Anyone else agree or am I being to petty?
    I personally think the design on the 5 is much better than the 4/4S
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,581 Global Posts

The hue thing is weird. From iphone 4 up I have noticed different phones have different hues. The store I was in was surprised when I showed them on their displays. I used to be a photographic printer, and color is one of those things that is hard for me to ignore. My 5 is slightly blue, but can live with it.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    iOS Version

At the Apple store right now. They are replacing it. Gotta love Apple Now saw the black one and am having a really hard time deciding black or white. Think Im going to stay with white and see how this scratching thing plays out. Wife due for upgrade in like 3 weeks. Can always get her a black one and then swap with her as she wants the white.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fmflex View Post
    Ok just got off the phone with a local Apple store. They said to bring it in tonight and they'll take care of it. Seems like they have units on hand for exchanges. That's why I love Apple!
    I find if you're ever unhappy about anything you purchase from Apple, you take it in and they'll set things straight. When I started having issues with my 3GS about 3 months after i purchased it, they took it back and gave me a replacement on the stop. No questions ask and no hassle.
    iPhone 4S 16GB (Black) | iPhone 4 16GB (Black) | iPhone 3GS 16GB (Black) | iPod Touch 4G (2010)| MacBook 13" Spring 2011 | iPad 3rd Gen (Black)
    @Caballeraz
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I noticed a SUPER minor ding on mine.. like.. tiny. Kinda made me smirk, but not enough to make me return it. It is weird though.. these are supposed to be perfect out of the box.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version

are these tiny nicks all in the same spot? wondering if when the assemblers are putting the sim trays in, they are being sloppy and hitting the sides of the 5 before inserting into the sim slot... ???
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by vgold View Post
    no scratch is picky. when you get a new product it should be new. No marks or scratches. New as in the same one that Apple unveiled, the way Apple designed it. Unless Apple went the bookbook route and designed scratches on every phone so they don't look a like, Id return it =P
    I agree. People pay a lot of money for these devices and they should be flawless when the customers get them. I'd return that in a heartbeat. They can't say no.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    2,749 Global Posts

My brother and I both got our 5's in the mail today and his also had two chips on the side of it. He was not happy and I told him we'd go over to Apple to get it fixed, hopefully they will take care of it. Here is a pic, the two spots are chips in the finish:

LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Wow that seems quite visible... I can't believe such poor quality control from Apple but then again they are pumping them out as fast as they can make them an still cant satisfy demand so it's bound to happen sadly...

Is Foxconn the only supplier or is Pegatron also making iPhone 5's ??
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by fmflex View Post
    Here are better picks of corners. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348257553.865773.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	19132Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348257573.170823.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	19133
    Off to Apple Store you go. Now! Don't wait any longer
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

My white 64GB was damaged out of the box as well. I discovered it before leaving the Verizon store where I purchased it, so they were able to see it as well, They said they didn't have any units for exchange on launch day, but would call me in a couple of days when they get one, to swap it out. Grateful to have found it before ever taking it out of the store.

I think that as they see more of these complaints (and it seems there may be quite a few), they should be cool about exchanging them. For the price, they SHOULD be new and perfect out of the box.

Have a pre-order of same coming from Apple on Oct 5 and was going to cancel that when I got home from the store this morning. After seeing damage on one, I kept the pre-order and am interested to see two of them, from completely different build lots - side by side. If VZW somehow fails to come through, I will return theirs and keep the one I bought from Apple - as they will be great about exchanges if there are problems with the second one.

I was planning on rolling naked, but instead ordered two cases from Amazon. They already shipped - arriving next week.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast