Damaged right out of the box :(

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
no scratch is picky. when you get a new product it should be new. No marks or scratches. New as in the same one that Apple unveiled, the way Apple designed it. Unless Apple went the bookbook route and designed scratches on every phone so they don't look a like, Id return it =P

I agree. People pay a lot of money for these devices and they should be flawless when the customers get them. I'd return that in a heartbeat. They can't say no.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
My brother and I both got our 5's in the mail today and his also had two chips on the side of it. He was not happy and I told him we'd go over to Apple to get it fixed, hopefully they will take care of it. Here is a pic, the two spots are chips in the finish:

IMG_0965_zps18008d7f.jpg

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow that seems quite visible... I can't believe such poor quality control from Apple but then again they are pumping them out as fast as they can make them an still cant satisfy demand so it's bound to happen sadly...

Is Foxconn the only supplier or is Pegatron also making iPhone 5's ??

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
My white 64GB was damaged out of the box as well. I discovered it before leaving the Verizon store where I purchased it, so they were able to see it as well, They said they didn't have any units for exchange on launch day, but would call me in a couple of days when they get one, to swap it out. Grateful to have found it before ever taking it out of the store.

I think that as they see more of these complaints (and it seems there may be quite a few), they should be cool about exchanging them. For the price, they SHOULD be new and perfect out of the box.

Have a pre-order of same coming from Apple on Oct 5 and was going to cancel that when I got home from the store this morning. After seeing damage on one, I kept the pre-order and am interested to see two of them, from completely different build lots - side by side. If VZW somehow fails to come through, I will return theirs and keep the one I bought from Apple - as they will be great about exchanges if there are problems with the second one.

I was planning on rolling naked, but instead ordered two cases from Amazon. They already shipped - arriving next week.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My white 64GB was damaged out of the box as well. I discovered it before leaving the Verizon store where I purchased it, so they were able to see it as well, They said they didn't have any units for exchange on launch day, but would call me in a couple of days when they get one, to swap it out. Grateful to have found it before ever taking it out of the store.

I think that as they see more of these complaints (and it seems there may be quite a few), they should be cool about exchanging them. For the price, they SHOULD be new and perfect out of the box.

Have a pre-order of same coming from Apple on Oct 5 and was going to cancel that when I got home from the store this morning. After seeing damage on one, I kept the pre-order and am interested to see two of them, from completely different build lots - side by side. If VZW somehow fails to come through, I will return theirs and keep the one I bought from Apple - as they will be great about exchanges if there are problems with the second one.

I was planning on rolling naked, but instead ordered two cases from Amazon. They already shipped - arriving next week.

None to exchange ? If they had any in the store I would have made them open a new one again lol

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Just go to an Apple store. They will exchange it even if you ordered from Verizon (like I did). They have special replacement units on hand. Typically they are refurbished but at this point since there are no referbs yet, they are brand new.

gregsomlok

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
When I received my Iphone 4 2 years ago I had the same problem. They replaced it right away. The sales person told me that apple gives them a certain number of exchange units, incase customers come back with problems. You should be alright even if they don't have it in stock. They will get you a new one in a few days.

DoubleEagle

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Of coarse I got some tiny tiny dings on my 32g white ip5... Sucks but everything else seems ok. I put a case on it when I got it at Verizon. I just hate to be picky and my OCD is off the charts. Don't know what to do.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
None to exchange ? If they had any in the store I would have made them open a new one again lol

I know, right? I tried. Having been there for 2 hrs before they opened & being first in the door, I was bummed to get a bum phone. Clearly, after selling a total of 6 phones (mine + 5 others, they still had more white 64s (someone in line polled the rest of us -- most wanted 16's or 32's). The manager actually looked at me like I was speaking a different language or was growing a second head when asked them to do that: "just take another one off the pile". They said "you GOT one, it works, we can't replace it today" - even though I had nothing to do with how it came out of the box, neither did they.

I didn't want to be a jerk about it at the beginning of their day and mine (actually, I would avoid being a jerk about it at any time), so once they were clear that they would take care of it I said cool. I also knew the Apple order would be here in a couple of weeks, so I could handle it either way.

I know they will be cool. That has been "my" store for years, to the point where I know the staff and they at least recognize me. And once I got over the initial surprise, they were right: I had one and it worked. And even with dings on the back, it's awesome. A new, clean one will be even more awesome once things calm down a little! ;)

plantemichel

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I won't upgrade my iPhone 4S to a 5 i think i will upgrade my 16gigs to a 32gigs. Very scrachable,very sensible , i prefer the iPhone 4S model. Also i try yesterday the iPhone 5 and i feel it more feminine and more like a toy.

Sorry Apple even your ads didn't convince me to buy one.

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
On mine, there are slight dings/scratches on the metal finish. At the rounded edge, there is a slight nick on the metal. I'm debating whether to take it in for an exchange. But they are minor and I will case it anyways.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2