Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ImNotChuck
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default iPhone 5 & Pioneer Car Radio Issues

So when I plug my new iphone 5 into my Pioneer AVIC-X920BT Car Radio's USB Port, it charges, but doesn't play music through the radio or control the phone. I don't think it's being recognized as an 'iPod'.

I thought no biggie, I can always use the Bluetooth Audio feature on the radio to play music, just need to pair the new phone like my 4S was....

But the phone fails to pair. The Radio & the Phone see each other, but will not pair.

Please help... as I just drove 75 miles in silence... Grrr!!!

Anyone else having similar issues?

Thanks!!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    699 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DJYoungDirty View Post
    So when I plug my new iphone 5 into my Pioneer AVIC-X920BT Car Radio's USB Port, it charges, but doesn't play music through the radio or control the phone. I don't think it's being recognized as an 'iPod'.

I thought no biggie, I can always use the Bluetooth Audio feature on the radio to play music, just need to pair the new phone like my 4S was....

But the phone fails to pair. The Radio & the Phone see each other, but will not pair.

Please help... as I just drove 75 miles in silence... Grrr!!!

Anyone else having similar issues?

Thanks!!
    I have the pioneer avic x930BT - I haven't tried to pair it yet but I will.

Question - do you have a lot of devices paired/saved? I think I had a similar issue like this w my 4S.

I'll let you know what I find.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,949 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Some pioneer might need a software update
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by Jbcellular View Post

Question - do you have a lot of devices paired/saved? I think I had a similar issue like this w my 4S.

I have the Avic x930BT and it paired quick and easy. I used it with siri, Spotify and iPhone Music as well as made a few phone calls.
    IIJBII likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotChuck View Post
    I have the Avic x930BT and it paired quick and easy. I used it with siri, Spotify and iPhone Music as well as made a few phone calls.
    I haven't tried pairing my iPhone 5 to my X930BT yet, but I was so happy to see that the AVICFEEDS app worked with the new Apple maps on my updated iPhone 4.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Newbie

I finally got the Bluetooth to work after resetting the settings on the radio to factory defaults.

Still no luck with a direct cable connection though.

Wonder how long it will take pioneer to release a new cable for lightning connector...?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    699 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DJYoungDirty View Post
    I finally got the Bluetooth to work after resetting the settings on the radio to factory defaults.

Still no luck with a direct cable connection though.

Wonder how long it will take pioneer to release a new cable for lightning connector...?
    Hopefully it's quick, but i the question will be; will it have the same support (audio out). Im assuming it will considering all the accessories in the market. I know I've seen other post on this.

Time will tell....I've had a tough time just trying to update the software on my AVIC-930BT. Actually gave up on it.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,501 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I am remember reading somewhere (I forget where) that the Lightning connector lacked some kind of profile that makes it unable to work over usb to play music in certain car manufacturers such as BMW, etc. Maybe it also affects aftermarket head units also.
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 6 128GB Slate
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    ATV3
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

I know on my Avhp4200, after the 5.1.1 update I was unable to view videos from a ipod touch. Haven't bothered with the firmware update since I'd rather not uninstall everything and wait for something that may not resolve my issue

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: iPhone 5 & Pioneer Car Radio Issues

Any updates to this? Im planning on getting the iphone 5 within a month or so and I really want it to work with my x930bt.
    Any feedback/info is much appreciated!
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by Jbcellular View Post

I have the Pioneer Avic x930bt . I paired the iphone 5 successful.
    I can control iphone 5 on the screen and i could see it was playing song but no sound come out
    don't know why. someone help me please
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,949 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

FYI pioneer has pushed firmware updates for your radios that will make it work with iOS 6

You need a computer with blue tooth to update it

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

I had a similar problem with my Alpine radio. I cleared out all my old devices. Then I started the pairing process on my Alpine and then my cell phone. I got frustrated so, I tried the reverse. I made my Iphone discoverable first and then my Alpine and it worked.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,949 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

With pioneer it pairs but loses the option to control tracks play pause etc from the head unit

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !