Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Question iPhone 5 rattle?

I bought an iPhone 5 this morning from a verizon store, and when I got home started playing with my shinning new iPhone 5 I realize that when you shake the iPhone there is a weird feeling like something is loose inside, and if you listen to it you can also hear it loud and clear.

I return back to the verizon store and they couldnt replace it because they ran out already but one of the display unit had the same issue the order one did not.

Can you guys try this and tell me what you find?

Thanks!
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Hey that's true! I kinda got that sound too!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atrpm View Post
    I bought an iPhone 5 this morning from a verizon store, and when I got home started playing with my shinning new iPhone 5 I realize that when you shake the iPhone there is a weird feeling like something is loose inside, and if you listen to it you can also hear it loud and clear.

I return back to the verizon store and they couldnt replace it because they ran out already but one of the display unit had the same issue the order one did not.

Can you guys try this and tell me what you find?

Thanks!
    The lens of the camera has an autofocus mechanism which will jingle around when you shake the 4S. Maybe it's this?
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 6

Yeah I notice it too. Not a big deal as long as it works.
    iMore Intermediate

Just got mine, no rattling when I shake mine. 64Gb black.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

My white 32 GB has a light rattle as well. It's either part of the camera or the new vibrate motor Apple is using. I know Rene's black 64 GB is doing it as well. Apple shipped me a new phone today and I'll see how this one is. If it's the same I'm not going to worry about it.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I think it's the sleep button at the top. I noticed mine was a tad bit loose then I shook it and heard a small rattle, which was the sleep button. I'm heading to MacArthur mall tomorrow to get ghost armor, so I'm gonna run it by Apple while I'm there.
    The energy of the mind is the essence of life.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you lightly run your finger over the sleep button you'll feel how it has some slack to it.
    Thanked by:
    Rusty Lee (10-31-2013)
    iUSERNAME likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    IOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by bluee.dreamin View Post
    I think it's the sleep button at the top. I noticed mine was a tad bit loose then I shook it and heard a small rattle, which was the sleep button. I'm heading to MacArthur mall tomorrow to get ghost armor, so I'm gonna run it by Apple while I'm there.
    IT IS THE SLEEP BUTTON GUYS LOL...hold the button with your finger lightly and shake it. Do you hear the noise?
    iRy757 likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You're welcome

Sent from my iP5 using Tapatalk
    iMore Expert

no rattling when shaken but when I tap on the camera I can hear it, it sounds the same as the 4S
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by iUSERNAME View Post
    IT IS THE SLEEP BUTTON GUYS LOL...hold the button with your finger lightly and shake it. Do you hear the noise?
    Not the power button. Maybe for some it is but this distinctive rattle is exactly what I said it was. Some older iPhones had the same thing. Again some of you may have loose power buttons. Not on my phones though.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Guacho View Post
    no rattling when shaken but when I tap on the camera I can hear it, it sounds the same as the 4S
    Correct. On one of mine you hear that sound by lightly shaking it. Not right in my opinion but it seems pretty common by how many people have it. I'll see how the new one is when I get it Monday or Tuesday.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Not the power button. Maybe for some it is but this distinctive rattle is exactly what I said it was. Some older iPhones had the same thing. Again some of you may have loose power buttons. Not on my phones though.
    Hmm interesting. I did a test and held the power button lightly then shook it and didn't hear anything, but like you said it could be a different case for different devices. Hope it's something minor and you figure it out man!

Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Hmm interesting. I did a test and held the power button lightly then shook it and didn't hear anything, but like you said it could be a different case for different devices. Hope it's something minor and you figure it out man!

You are correct. Depends on the phone. I've seen it where it is the power button and where it is not. 9 times out of 10 it's not the power button. Like mentioned all earlier iPhones did this too but it required a gentle tap by the camera. Now it seems you can simply give it a little shake and get the same result.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You are correct. Depends on the phone. I've seen it where it is the power button and where it is not. 9 times out of 10 it's not the power button. Like mentioned all earlier iPhones did this too but it required a gentle tap by the camera. Now it seems you can simply give it a little shake and get the same result.
    Hmm that is very odd. I'll see if the rep I speak to tomorrow morning at the Apple store knows anything about what you are describing.

iMore Pro

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    iOS Version

And my apologies for the other thread. I thought that was the solution, but I see now I should have waited for more feedback.

Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Hmm that is very odd. I'll see if the rep I speak to tomorrow morning at the Apple store knows anything about what you are describing.

I'm even hearing cases of the battery not being secured properly but that's obviously a much more noticeable "rattle".
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

And my apologies for the other thread. I thought that was the solution, but I see now I should have waited for more feedback.

No apology needed!
    iRy757 likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm even hearing cases of the battery not being secured properly but that's obviously a much more noticeable "rattle".
    Yiiikes. Yeah, that sounds much more serious lol, thank goodness I don't have one of those defects!

iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I have a clicking noise up top when shaking but there is a worse sound inside the case when it shaking. Taking it back to best buy this am
    iPhone Nanite

No rattle here
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by timj007 View Post
    I have a clicking noise up top when shaking but there is a worse sound inside the case when it shaking. Taking it back to best buy this am
    If it's a significant sound with some heft to it, it's the battery that's loose. Your local Apple store can fix that in 5 minutes.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If it's a significant sound with some heft to it, it's the battery that's loose. Your local Apple store can fix that in 5 minutes.
    Jeremy I just stopped by apple. The rep seems confident that its the vibrate roter in the top of the phone located next to the camera flash. He said it is not a main concern however, nor is the loose power button.

Last edited by bluee.dreamin; 09-22-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Not sure if that's 100% the case but I just thought that info would be useful.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast