Anyone else on a wait list at Best Buy?

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I didn't pre-order a iPhone 5 last Friday because I simply wasn't sure yet which carrier I wanted to go with (currently on Verizon, but AT&T and Sprint offer better deals). Anyways, after doing some research and deciding on AT&T, I went to Best Buy Tuesday night to talk to their mobile center staff about their expectations for the iPhone release. They told me they didn't expect to have any iPhone 5's in stock for walk-ins on Friday since they expect all their inventory will be used to fulfill pre-orders, but he believes that they will be able to fulfill pre-orders with their first shipment. Anyways, since they weren't taking pre-orders anymore, I went a head and put myself down on their waiting list for a White, 16gb iPhone 5 on AT&T. I was the second on the list for that specific model. I am restricting myself to buying the iPhone 5 at Best Buy since I have the buy back program on my current iPhone 4.

Anyone else on a waiting list at Best Buy to buy their iPhone? Did your Best Buy say anything about when they expect to be able get an iPhone to you? I assume Best Buy will honor the waiting list before they allow walk-in buyers, correct? Obviously, this all depends on location, I'm just trying to get a rough estimate.

Thanks!

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
No sir, I pre-ordered a 64gb AT&T at my local BB in Dunwoody (atl) and a little concerned that BB is getting tons of 16 gb but no word on 64 gb versions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I pre-ordered at Best Buy for my last two iPhones and from my experience, they ALWAYS fulfill preorders first.

Same here on for the last 2 iPhones but honestly, I feel like apple is culpable for the headaches in their pursuit to drive up attention and the lines at their stores. There's no way they could have sold out given that production began well early enough evident by how accurate the leaks have been. This stinks!

Joker022

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Same here on for the last 2 iPhones but honestly, I feel like apple is culpable for the headaches in their pursuit to drive up attention and the lines at their stores. There's no way they could have sold out given that production began well early enough evident by how accurate the leaks have been. This stinks!

I'm inclined to agree. I just went to my local Best Buy (Fairfield, CA) and was told they have Verizon and AT&T iPhone 5, but no Sprint iPhones, unfortunately.

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not asking about preorders. I'm talking about the waiting list they have where they will call you and hold a phone for you to pick up once they have iPhone inventory that is not used for preorders. From what I understand. People who preorder will get their phones first, then any left over will be held for a specific amount of time for those on the waiting list, and then any extra will be for walk-ins.

Fatimusorime2

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm on a waitlist as well. Knowing best buy as I do, I have little confidence that I will get one tomorrow. I have myself at about a 45% chance to get one. However, I was told that there are only 3 preorders ahead of mine for the sprint model.... So who knows...

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a waitlist as well. Knowing best buy as I do, I have little confidence that I will get one tomorrow. I have myself at about a 45% chance to get one. However, I was told that there are only 3 preorders ahead of mine for the sprint model.... So who knows...

Did you preorder you phone with Best Buy or are you just on the waiting list? Preorders required you to purchase a $50 gift card, while the waiting list requires no charge. When you say 3 preorders ahead of you, that makes it sound like you actually preordered. Being on the waiting list is not a preorder.

Fatimusorime2

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Did you preorder you phone with Best Buy or are you just on the waiting list? Preorders required you to purchase a $50 gift card, while the waiting list requires no charge. When you say 3 preorders ahead of you, that makes it sound like you actually preordered. Being on the waiting list is not a preorder.

I am indeed on the waiting list, I did not preorder. My hope is that there are just a few people ahead of me, allowing me to get a device tomorrow as iPhones are typically shipped in boxes of 10. If not, its not the end of the world.

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Ah, gotcha. Be sure to keep me/us update on whether you hear from Best Buy anytime soon. I'll do the same. Hoping I don't have to wait too long.

Beezzy

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I pre ordered an iPhone 5 (White, 16GB, VZW) for my mom since she's using a trade in towards the iPhone 5. She's not to worried getting it right away if it doesn't come in tomorrow. Hopefully I get the email for her that it does tho. Mine is on its way from VZW.

Fatimusorime2

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Ah, gotcha. Be sure to keep me/us update on whether you hear from Best Buy anytime soon. I'll do the same. Hoping I don't have to wait too long.

Well, in true Best Buy form, I got the dreadful "Best Buy did not get enough inventory" email that basically says that they are sorry they didn't get enough iPhones to fulfill orders and I might be waiting up to 28 days to get my phone. I'm certainly not surprised at this as Best Buy doesn't seem to be able to handle any kind of pre ordering with any sort of decent amount of accuracy.

I'll keep in touch with my local store tomorrow and find out if there are any extras of the other sizes.

Edit: I only say it this way because I worked for Best Buy Mobile for 5 years until a month ago, so I know how this process works.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I am restricting myself to buying the iPhone 5 at Best Buy since I have the buy back program on my current iPhone 4.

Thanks!

Sounds like a dumb program that restricts you. Next time just sell your iphone. I'm still not sure why you're giving up unlimited data. I wouldn't.. But then to compound that by switching to AT&T?

kplu191

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok.... I am at best buy in vestal ny. It's 620 am. No one is here! Wondering if they open at 8 or not.... There are only 5-7 people at the VZW down the street...

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, in true Best Buy form, I got the dreadful "Best Buy did not get enough inventory" email that basically says that they are sorry they didn't get enough iPhones to fulfill orders and I might be waiting up to 28 days to get my phone. I'm certainly not surprised at this as Best Buy doesn't seem to be able to handle any kind of pre ordering with any sort of decent amount of accuracy.

I'll keep in touch with my local store tomorrow and find out if there are any extras of the other sizes.

Edit: I only say it this way because I worked for Best Buy Mobile for 5 years until a month ago, so I know how this process works.

Hmmmm... They didn't even ask for my email. They just wrote down my name, iphone model i wanted, and my phone number on their waiting list. I haven't heard anything from them yet.

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a dumb program that restricts you. Next time just sell your iphone. I'm still not sure why you're giving up unlimited data. I wouldn't.. But then to compound that by switching to AT&T?

Even if I sign a new contract with Verizon, I will still loose my unlimited data. The only way I can keep it is to pay $700+ for a new phone at retail price, so, $700 to stay unlimited or $200 to switch to AT&T and get 3gb of data, I'd take the $200 price. Also, AT&T with 3gb data = $89.00/month (w/ 450 minutes & unlimited text) where Verizon with 2gb data = $100/month (w/ unlimited minutes & unlimited text). AT&T wins there, since minutes don't really matter to me. Also, I can even go over on my data with AT&T and get 4gb for the same price as Verizon's 2gb. Only thing Verizon has going for it is better nation wide coverage, and since I don't travel much, and AT&T has great coverage w/ LTE in Nashville, AT&T just fits better for me.

We all have our reasons for choosing which carrier we choose.

Last edited:

OlegWasHere

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
well i pre " reserved " on friday the 14th.
went in yesterday to ask and he said no at&t 64gb in the tristate area (ma,ct,upstate ny)
for at least a month.

so i took my chances at at&t since they shipped out all there pre orders.
i waited 3 hours and got a 64 white.
so when best buy gets black ill suck up the restock.

since i have the buy back program and rz points. towards my premium membership (need to spend 2500 dollars in a year)

walked out of at&t today with a 536 bill without the upgrade fee on the bill itself.

oh and i got the unlimited 4g data too.
so that is possible as well.

Fatimusorime2

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm... They didn't even ask for my email. They just wrote down my name, iphone model i wanted, and my phone number on their waiting list. I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Yeah, not surprising. What happened last year with the 4s launch is the employees were told to reject walk-ins until pre-orders were all picked up. Technically speaking, I don't recall anyone calling the wait-list clients unless we happened to know who they were. It was pretty messy so I would stay on top of it just to be sure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2