Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Default The three functions I really wish they had added

I don't understand why they didn't add the following:

First: Why can't there be an option to close all apps or to select the apps you want to close as opposed to having to close them one by one?

Second: Why does it have to be so hard to turn on/off Bluetooth and WiFi? I leave my WiFi on all the time, but I only turn my bluetooth on when I am driving and it is so time consuming to get to it in the settings. I was lucky enough to find an app that I can click on from the home screen before Apple removed it, but it isn't always accurate and I have to go into settings and connect sometimes.

Third: Why are we limited to only 12 apps in a folder?

I could care less about NFC, Widgets and live backgrounds. I want functionality.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

There are jailbreak options for all 3 of these ...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,589 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

i believe with the 5 you can add 4 more apps per folder
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    That's an awesome twist...
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    iOS Version

you might want to get one of those DROIDS if you want to do all of that you might have out grown it looking for how to turn on bluetooth in the menus as to making a huge widget sitting on your home screen that you can tap. maybe its time to move on or test the waters i did and i find myself right back or do the jailbreak i personally think the phone is set up great as it is there are options out there
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,660 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Second: Why does it have to be so hard to turn on/off Bluetooth and WiFi? I leave my WiFi on all the time, but I only turn my bluetooth on when I am driving and it is so time consuming to get to it in the settings. I was lucky enough to find an app that I can click on from the home screen before Apple removed it, but it isn't always accurate and I have to go into settings and connect sometimes.
    Bluetooth setting in iOS6 has now moved to the top of the general settings menu. Removing 2 steps in iOS5. Better than nothing.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Interesting... haven't heard or seen that yet. That will be nice if true...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,589 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    That's an awesome twist...
    Quote Originally Posted by SnapThrow View Post

read the CNET review in the link below and it was talked about during the event

CNET

Secondly, the screen size lengthening is subtle: but, like the Retina Display, you're going to have a hard time going back once you've used it. The extra space adds a lot to document viewing areas above the keyboard, landscape-oriented video playback (larger size and less letterboxing), and home-page organizing (an extra row of icons/folders). Who knows what game developers will dream up, but odds are that extra space on the sides in landscape mode will be handily used by virtual buttons and controls.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I read that as the fifth row of icons and or folders... not necessarily within a folder. I guess it could mean that, but I'm not sure...
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    iOS 6

I have heard this too..It is supposed to allow 16 in a folder. Also you have one more row on the homescreen.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,589 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

I read that as the fifth row of icons and or folders... not necessarily within a folder. I guess it could mean that, but I'm not sure...
    yeah, i think that is what that review is pertaining too as well

but i swear i saw them talk about an extra row of icons within a folder
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

I agree with the Bluetooth and wifi on/off switch. My iPhone 4 is currently jail broken and I have it so you just swipe down notification center and it's located on top and I can turn it on or off there and it's so easy because I only turn Bluetooth on when I link it to my car and I sometimes then wifi off while on campus because my schools wifi is usually pretty slow and 3G is faster; I will definitely miss that feature
    iPod Touch 3rd generation 8GB
    iPhone 4 32 GB
    iPhone 5 32 GB
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by moneymike47 View Post
    I agree with the Bluetooth and wifi on/off switch. My iPhone 4 is currently jail broken and I have it so you just swipe down notification center and it's located on top and I can turn it on or off there and it's so easy because I only turn Bluetooth on when I link it to my car and I sometimes then wifi off while on campus because my schools wifi is usually pretty slow and 3G is faster; I will definitely miss that feature
    honestly, the only reason why i jailbreak my phone..then i just like to customize my theme LMAO

iPhone [sold] 8GB
    iPhone 3G [sold] 8GB
    iPhone 3GS [sold] 16GB

iPhone 4 black 16GB
    iPhone 4 white 16GB
    iPhone 4S [sold] white 16GB
    iPad 64GB
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,227 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I don't understand why they didn't add the following:

First: Why can't there be an option to close all apps or to select the apps you want to close as opposed to having to close them one by one?

Third: Why are we limited to only 12 apps in a folder?

I could care less about NFC, Widgets and live backgrounds. I want functionality.
    First: Jailbreak

Second: Jailbreak

Third: Jailbreak

...Jailbreak.

P.S. - Jailbreak
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    1,215 Global Posts

the only function I really wish they had added is the text re-flow in safari. very often i come across a webpage where the text is so small that I have to strain my eyes to read it even in the landscape mode, And this really really lame "reader" feature just needs to go. I don't care about all other things mentioned here, i just need a normal text re-flow One would think it would be a common sense to have this feature since the first iPhone and yet its the iPhone 5 and it is still not there. I just don't get it, is it so hard to add this functionality?
    Now about other things available for jailbroken iphones, this is BS. not all people know how to jailbreak their phones and there are millions of them who will never jailbreak it. Not mention that you have to wait for jailbreak for hell knows how long before you can even do that. text re-flow is not even available in jailbreak. things like that should be in the OS out of the box,.
    Last edited by dalvik; 09-19-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    lilkim429 likes this.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    There are jailbreak options for all 3 of these ...
    I didn't jailbreak my 4 and don't think I should have to do that for these simple options. I appreciate those of you that do take the time to do that, I am just not one of them.

I think what the CNET article meant was you could add an additional individual app or a folder to the fifth row, not that you could add an additional row to each of the folders, but if I am wrong that would be better than what we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by iphonefizzle View Post
    you might want to get one of those DROIDS if you want to do all of that you might have out grown it looking for how to turn on bluetooth in the menus as to making a huge widget sitting on your home screen that you can tap. maybe its time to move on or test the waters i did and i find myself right back or do the jailbreak i personally think the phone is set up great as it is there are options out there
    I did quite a bit of research about which phone should be my next one. I looked at the new Note 2 that is coming out, I looked at the SIII and others and none could compare to the iPhone for what I am using it for and what I want. Remember each phone is picked by someone based on their preferences and needs and right now iPhone has all the other phones beat for stablilty, reliablity and usability. And no I am not an Apple fan. My last phone was a Blackberry and if they could of kept up with technology and function with reliabilty and stablity I would have stayed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
    Bluetooth setting in iOS6 has now moved to the top of the general settings menu. Removing 2 steps in iOS5. Better than nothing.
    That is fantastic, I hadn't heard that before.

Quote Originally Posted by dalvik View Post
    the only function I really wish they had added is the text re-flow in safari. very often i come across a webpage where the text is so small that I have to strain my eyes to read it even in the landscape mode, And this really really lame "reader" feature just needs to go. I don't care about all other things mentioned here, i just need a normal text re-flow One would think it would be a common sense to have this feature since the first iPhone and yet its the iPhone 5 and it is still not there. I just don't get it, is it so hard to add this functionality?
    Now about other things available for jailbroken iphones, this is BS. not all people know how to jailbreak their phones and there are millions of them who will never jailbreak it. Not mention that you have to wait for jailbreak for hell knows how long before you can even do that. text re-flow is not even available in jailbreak. things like that should be in the OS out of the box,.
    I totally agree with this. I am having a hard time as well reading some web sites and text in apps like Facebook that don't let you zoom. I was hoping that the iPhone 5 would improve that, but I'm not sure it will. And I totally agree with your jailbreak statement.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,570 Global Posts

Jailbreaking kinda isn't an option. Maybe next year.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,227 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I didn't jailbreak my 4 and don't think I should have to do that for these simple options. I appreciate those of you that do take the time to do that, I am just not one of them.
    Sure you don't have to...but when an option you so badly want is available (FREE mind you), why wouldn't you? I like to have a 5 icon dock...you can't do that natively so i jailbreak at the very least so i can have that feature. I still don't understand the people who refuse to jailbreak...especially since it literally takes no effort and is not permanent in case you were worried about warranty issues or whatever (though honestly, Apple still honors warranties with an iPhone jailbroken...every iPhone ive had has been JB'ed and I've brought it in and had no problems).
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    1,215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Sure you don't have to...but when an option you so badly want is available (FREE mind you), why wouldn't you? I like to have a 5 icon dock...you can't do that natively so i jailbreak at the very least so i can have that feature. I still don't understand the people who refuse to jailbreak...especially since it literally takes no effort and is not permanent in case you were worried about warranty issues or whatever (though honestly, Apple still honors warranties with an iPhone jailbroken...every iPhone ive had has been JB'ed and I've brought it in and had no problems).
    Really? Are you sure about this? Jailbreak voids the warranty last time I checked. Also as to why people refuse to jailbreak. I use just two tweaks: tethering and FaceTime over 3G and my iPhone very often acts funny, most of the times i have to switch the data off and back on because Internet wouldn't work and some apps would not respond to any taps inside of them (like it happened with email app yesterday) usually a complete reboot fixes that. So yes, I totally agree with the previous poster. Jailbreak should NOT be needed in order to have basic functionalities.
    Last edited by dalvik; 09-19-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I am not jailbroken. My point was that these are easy tweaks if you were to jailbreak. And if you HAVE to have these tweaks, that's the only way for now.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Really? Are you sure about this? Jailbreak voids the warranty last time I checked. Also as to why people refuse to jailbreak. I use just two tweaks: tethering and FaceTime over 3G and my iPhone very often acts funny, most of the times i have to switch the data off and back on because Internet wouldn't work and some apps would not respond to any taps inside of them (like it happened with email app yesterday) usually a complete reboot fixes that. So yes, I totally agree with the previous poster. Jailbreak should NOT be needed in order to have basic functionalities.
    Jailbreak doesn't void anything. Apple may refuse to work on a jailbroken device, but there is no termination of warranty. Simply restore to unjailbroken and Apple will be glad to assist. Had jailbreaking voided your warranty, Apple would not assist at all after a device had been jailbroken - even if it was restored to pure again. It's a different thing completely.

Now, as to whether or not jailbreaking introduces issues, yes, it can, but that's a whole different discussion for a different thread.

Back on topic, for sure OP's 1st issue (closing multiple/all open apps) does require jailbreak. The 2nd one (toggling Bluetooth), as has been mentioned already, is addressed in iOS 6. The 3rd item may/may not be addressed... but if it is, it will require new hardware (iPhone 5)... otherwise, JB is the only way to solve it.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,227 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Jailbreaking the iPhone does not void the factory warranty.

Apple specifically points out that it MAY void the warranty, but that comes with the inclusion that that "may" references damage done by tweaking things that would cause irreversible issues to the software (and you know when you're messing with stuff in that realm, you can't do it by accident)...or something maliciously designed to make the hardware fail (something designed to push the processor to overheat and possibly damage the internals).

The act of jailbreaking your iPhone does not void the warranty...nor can it be traced if you are the paranoid type and want to remove the jailbreak in case you need warranty work.

Basically, the things that WOULD void your warranty are things you would unquestionably know are voiding your warranty (or potentially could) while you're doing them, i would hazard to say that 80% of the jailbreak modifications do not fall into this category.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

Jailbreak voids the warranty last time I checked. .
    If you're dumb enough to take a jailbroken phone to Apple or your WSP for repairs.....No words.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    1,215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyListensToLaura View Post
    If you're dumb enough to take a jailbroken phone to Apple or your WSP for repairs.....No words.
    My friend's jailbroken iPhone 4 had a broken connector port apple refused to service it even though it was under the warranty period.
    Also, I'm perfectly aware of the reversal process and there is no need to call me dumb (I may be even smarter that you) My point is that while the iPhone in itself is a very good quality built device the operating system lacks some very important features which they still wouldn't add up to now. And there shouldn't be a need to resort to hacking your device and endangering your warranty just to obtain these features. That's all.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

My friend's jailbroken iPhone 4 had a broken connector port apple refused to service it even though it was under the warranty period.
    Also, I'm perfectly aware of the reversal process and there is no need to call me dumb (I may be even smarter that you) My point is that while the iPhone in itself is a very good quality built device the operating system lacks some very important features which they still wouldn't add up to now. And there shouldn't be a need to resort to hacking your device and endangering your warranty just to obtain these features. That's all.
    I did not call you dumb. If I did, you'd know it. Whether or not you're smarter than I am or I'm smarter than you is something I frankly don't care anything about.

To you there may not be a need to hack an iPhone, but to thousands of others, myself included, there is. Apple is content to keep giving us the same garden to play in with each iPhone release. Jailbreak allows users to open the gate and go play in someone else's garden.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast