Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
    iPhone Beginner

93 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Between my wife and I we've owned lots of smartphones (she's got a 4s and I have a Galaxy Nexus). What stokes the iPhones' fire is that it's a beautiful piece of hardware (that was key to Jobs), that the OS is married to the phone (Jobs again), and all the apps available (Jobs). The latest model just refines it with stuff people want (camera, 4G, better maps). Not cutting edge stuff, but stuff that people like us expect in a premium phone and use a lot. Apples advertises a ton (always has), which attracts the younger buyers. I can't remember the last ad I saw for a Nokia phone, and Samsung hardly ever on TV. The other key is that Apple keeps the price high, they never waver on that. There's no way one company can "take over" the smartphone market, but they get their share and then some. Their original goal was 5% within 2 years and they surpassed that by a ton. The iPhone is very similar to my Galaxy Nexus in a lot of ways in what it does and how it does it. I like the bigger screen and now the iPhone has a bigger screen too. They are neck and neck IMO. But my two 24-25 year old stepsons have iPhones. One tried a MotoDroid and a Motorola X and jumped ship after a couple years. Windows has yet to even scratch the surface of the smartphone market because they don't have a way cool looking phone that people want. All they have is some (so far) clunky software. I had a few Blackberrys back in their day. They blew it by not having a good touchscreen phone. I had a Storm (for 2 weeks) and it sucked. They just hung on to the "business" market and the keypad crowd, and the crowd thinned out like Guns and Roses' comeback. Just my .02.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 09-18-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12