Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Can you transfer Apple Care + plan from 4S to 5?

I know you can transfer your Apple Care + plan to a new owner if you sell your old phones, but can you transfer your Apple Care + plan to your new phone???
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

No. AppleCare and AppleCare+ are eternally connected to the device for which it was purchased.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Thanked by:
    0pusX (09-17-2012)
    iMore Beginner

I don't think so. I thought it was "phone specific". Transfer to new owner yes.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    0pusX (09-17-2012)
    iPhone Experts

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Make sure you mention the warranty if you sell it though. It might net you extra $$.
    Thanked by:
    0pusX (09-17-2012)
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    5,147 Global Posts

Nope. Plan is tied to the device which is why you can change the owner by not the device itself. Should help you get a couple more bucks for resale though to purchase the new plan.

I'll probably go squaretrade since they are running a special for 65 bucks and their coverage include accidental damage that apple care doesn't.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 09-17-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    Thanked by:
    0pusX (09-17-2012)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,206 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    Nope. Plan is tied to the device which is why you can change the owner by not the device itself. Should help you get a couple more bucks for resale though to purchase the new plan.

I'll probably go squaretrade since they are running a special for 65 bucks and their coverage include accidental damage that apple care doesn't.
    Apple Care + does cover accidentally coverage. It has since the 4S. It will cover up to 2 instances with a $49 deductible.
    Thanked by:
    scorpiodsu (09-17-2012)
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    5,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Apple Care + does cover accidentally coverage. It has since the 4S. It will cover up to 2 instances with a $49 deductible.
    Oh ok cool. Must have been when they made it AppleCare+. Good to know.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,206 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    Oh ok cool. Must have been when they made it AppleCare+. Good to know.
    Yup. That's why it went from $69 to $99.
    iPhone Nanite

Actually...
    (ii) With Transfer From Original Covered Equipment to New Covered Equipment. You may
    make a one time, permanent transfer of the coverage under the Plan to a new Apple
    product that is owned and purchased by you within thirty (30) days of the Covered
    Equipment purchase. The new product must be eligible for coverage under the Plan and
    at the time of transfer both products must be covered under the manufacturer’s one (1)
    year limited warranty. Apple will issue a Plan Confirmation for the new product, which
    will then become the Covered Equipment. When notifying Apple of the transfer, you
    must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial numbers and Proof of Purchase of
    the products being transferred by sending or faxing, where available, notice of transfer
    to Apple as set forth in the section immediately above.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

I just talked to apple and I have 392 days of apple care + that will transfer to my 5.....score. I am surprised.