Unlocking the Iphone 5 Questions...

DD214#WN

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you again Imore for answering my Iphone questions...and sorry if it has been answered here...

If all goes as planned I will have a total of 10 Iphone 5's I need to unlock on 9/21...

Do we have any intel on unlocking them? I have been buying and unlocking Iphone 4 and Iphone 4's for the last year or so without any issues (Verizon does it for free) but I wasn't sure because of this new technology if this was possible or an option...(Verizon can't answer the question yet)

FYI - All but one of these Iphone 5's is going to Afghanistan in case you thought I was a hoarder....
Upon receipt I will be buying international SIM cards, cutting them down to size and installing them in the Iphones....

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

RM

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Unless you pay full price for a phone (and not be in a contract) or buy a straight up unlocked one (which aren't available at launch), no provider will be unlocking them. You would also have to get the AT&T version since the other CDMA providers don't really unlock phones. It also is possible that since the iPhone 5 is so new, Apple won't allow unlocking them for sometime.

However if you are in the military and can prove it, I do believe AT&T is unlocking them.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Unless you pay full price for a phone (and not be in a contract) or buy a straight up unlocked one (which aren't available at launch), no provider will be unlocking them. You would also have to get the AT&T version since the other CDMA providers don't really unlock phones. It also is possible that since the iPhone 5 is so new, Apple won't allow unlocking them for sometime.

However if you are in the military and can prove it, I do believe AT&T is unlocking them.

Yes, I read carriers usually grant unlocks for members of the military.

How did you order them though? Were they bundled with a contract?

DD214#WN

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I read carriers usually grant unlocks for members of the military.

How did you order them though? Were they bundled with a contract?

I have a large business account with multiple upgrades so used a few of those and the rest just bought outright.....

Since this is CDMA and GSM, like the 4s, I was thinking Verizon could unlock the device like they do for the 4S..

Either way, looks like this will be discovered Friday AM.

Thanks

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I have a large business account with multiple upgrades so used a few of those and the rest just bought outright.....

Since this is CDMA and GSM, like the 4s, I was thinking Verizon could unlock the device like they do for the 4S..

Either way, looks like this will be discovered Friday AM.

Thanks

To be sure, get the GSM version. I don't think Afghanistan is deploying LTE anytime soon.

DD214#WN

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey, they just got tires....LTE could be around the corner...

Making phone calls usually is a WIFI thing over skype or FaceTime but we also send em SIM cards.

Thanks for the advice...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2