Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    436 Global Posts

Default Setup as new or backup/restore

How is everyone going to setup their iPhone 5? Is it better to set it up as a new phone and download all the apps individually or restore from a backup? I just want to make sure my phone runs as fast as possible.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Clean is always better... it's more work, but you also don't bring all the muck forward to your new device.

Just make sure you have a good backup of the old device and you can always fall back on that.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    JustMe'D likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    484 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I usually take this once a year upgrade as a chance to start fresh and I don't restore from a backup. The only thing I tend to lose is game saves/progress but that just isn't that big of a deal for me anymore. I also jailbreak so I'm not going to restore my jailbroken iP4S data to my new 5...
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,736 Global Posts

The only way to be sure is to start from scratch.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    436 Global Posts

Is there a way to get contacts restored to your new iPhone without anything else?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts

I used to believe that restoring from a backup was risky. And I believe it used to be true. However, since the inception of iCloud, it seems the backup and restore process is a whole lot better. I use backup and restore from iCloud now and it works flawlessly.

I just did backup/restore when upgrading to iOS 6 GM from iOS 5 and it works perfectly.

Plus, you lose your camera roll when starting fresh...

Global Posts
    22,285 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Clean is always better... it's more work, but you also don't bring all the muck forward to your new device.

Just make sure you have a good backup of the old device and you can always fall back on that.
    'nuf said...

Global Posts
    22,285 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by weedr View Post
    Is there a way to get contacts restored to your new iPhone without anything else?
    If your contacts are stored via iCloud, Google, Outlook, Yahoo!, etcetera, they will auto-sync to your new device when you configure the aforementioned service(s) on it.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    484 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Sure -- if you use iCloud all that data will come back once you enter your credentials. Same thing if you use Gmail. So basically once you get your new iP5 (this is what I do) just run through the setup screens and don't enter any of your info. When you get to iOS go into settings and start entering your various credentials... iCloud, email, Apple Store, etc. Your data will start populating and you can re-download any/all apps previously purchased through the App Store. Once you get your apps back start entering all your usernames/passwords. It's labor intensive but gives you that "clean" start.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    If your contacts are stored via iCloud, Google, Outlook, Yahoo!, etcetera, they will auto-sync to your new device when you configure the aforementioned service(s) on it.
    Yes, contacts are no longer a worry with iCloud. They just populate automatically.
    JustMe'D likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Sync them with iCloud, with Google or Outlook... then just sync them back. Same with calendar entries, if that's a concern.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Starting fresh. Yeah I'll lose game progress but I had so many texts and other crap that takes up memory. All my apps and contacts are still on my iTunes. It'll be worth it to make sure there are no bugs that carry over.
    Late 2011 15" i7 Macbook Pro - - iPhone 5 64GB Black/Slate (VZW) - - iPad 4 32GB Black WiFi - - Apple TV 3
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

I am a nubie regarding this. When I updated my ipad2 to ipad3, I restored from backup via the cloud with no problems it was flawless and simple Can someone please explain why I should start clean with my new iphone5 rather than restore from backup of my iPhone 4s?
    iMore Pro

I dont see why starting fresh . Every year I have restored from backup and its worked flawlessly, so I dont see a reason to change.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,736 Global Posts

You don't have to. The OP simply wanted to know the best way to be SURE it'd be operating at full speed. That's the best way..

By all means, restore from backup and use. If you don't see any problems then there's nothing to worry about.
    iMore Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You don't have to. The OP simply wanted to know the best way to be SURE it'd be operating at full speed. That's the best way..

By all means, restore from backup and use. If you don't see any problems then there's nothing to worry about.
    How does the restore from backup slow the phone down. Just curious
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behshad View Post
    How does the restore from backup slow the phone down. Just curious
    There is just more chances to have bugs or glitches instead of starting new. I like having my history, and I'm upping to the 32.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm not a subscriber to the school of "Setup as New" - I did a little digging and found an article in the Apple KBs about exactly what is saved in a backup file. It saves literally nothing relating to jailbreak. If it does catch anything, just do a "Reset All Settings" once the restore is done. I've never had an issue in the two years I've had my 4. I have way too many awesome texts/picture messages to not migrate them over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    4,310 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

If I'm going from a 4S on iOS 6 to an iPhone 5 on iOS 6, I'm restoring the backup. If I'm going from a 4S on
    iOS 5 to an iPhone 5 on iOS 6, I'm restoring as new and starting fresh.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,587 Global Posts

Restore. It takes hours to set up otherwise, especially if you don't sync contacts with anything else like Exchange.

Global Posts
    22,285 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by ekneeiphone View Post
    I am a nubie regarding this. When I updated my ipad2 to ipad3, I restored from backup via the cloud with no problems it was flawless and simple Can someone please explain why I should start clean with my new iphone5 rather than restore from backup of my iPhone 4s?
    Primarily, it is a matter of preference, but a lot of us are old school and we prefer to start new and not bring possible baggage from a backup.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,655 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Im going to set up as new, but I would be backing up from an iPad or iPod. If I had an iPhone, I would probably set it up as a backup.
    iMore Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Primarily, it is a matter of preference, but a lot of us are old school and we prefer to start new and not bring possible baggage from a backup.
    lol I dont think thats OLD SCHOOL Old school are those of us who go with the back up

Lets have a poll for fun and see how many oldschholers we got lol
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behshad View Post
    lol I dont think thats OLD SCHOOL Old school are those of us who go with the back up

Lets have a poll for fun and see how many oldschholers we got lol
    I am old school to the core.....and I restore from backup.
    iMore Pro

Quote Originally Posted by salscott View Post
    I am old school to the core.....and I restore from backup.

me too me too !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast