Setup as new or backup/restore

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am a nubie regarding this. When I updated my ipad2 to ipad3, I restored from backup via the cloud with no problems it was flawless and simple Can someone please explain why I should start clean with my new iphone5 rather than restore from backup of my iPhone 4s?

Primarily, it is a matter of preference, but a lot of us are old school and we prefer to start new and not bring possible baggage from a backup.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Im going to set up as new, but I would be backing up from an iPad or iPod. If I had an iPhone, I would probably set it up as a backup.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Primarily, it is a matter of preference, but a lot of us are old school and we prefer to start new and not bring possible baggage from a backup.

lol I dont think thats OLD SCHOOL ;) Old school are those of us who go with the back up ;)

Lets have a poll for fun and see how many oldschholers we got lol

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not me. I'm old school, but I backup my data for emergency purposes. When I 'deliberately' erase everything on my phone or computer, I'm doing so because I want to start over fresh and I feel the same way in regard to purchasing a new or replacement i-device. It is simply what *I* prefer, but again, that's Just Me, D :D

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm not a subscriber to the school of "Setup as New" - I did a little digging and found an article in the Apple KBs about exactly what is saved in a backup file. It saves literally nothing relating to jailbreak

That's definitely not true -- I have had jailbreak settings survive iOS restores and re-jailbreaks

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
That's definitely not true -- I have had jailbreak settings survive iOS restores and re-jailbreaks

If you are jailbroken, all bets are off. You can't expect the restore to go perfectly when you don't know what portions of the OS are messed with.

If you aren't jailbroken, restore should work fine.

Ginbill

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I will be starting from scratch aside form my contacts backed up through the cloud. :) I can't deal with my typos anymore that have become part of the auto correcions. lol

emozdashietxp

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Uhh maybe this is just me..I always set it up as a new device...i would make a new account for each device since. I know I'm able to keep multiple restore points for back up, but I always made new email/apple account for 3GS then when I got the 4, repeated the process as well as 4S. So I have numerous accounts now but for each corresponding product.

Note, the iOS is constantly updated along with the phone and I assumed I had to update almost every. Single. App anyways so fresh install was likely better. The only con is indeed: contacts. I tried third party restore like gmail but I stopped since 4 because it was just a failing matter. 500+ contacts whoosh. Then again it's cleaned up. Those I don't keep in contact no longer need to be dead memory on my phone so :)

Last edited:

alexberry

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'll also start as new phone. Aside from the bugs / glitches argument, it's a chance to rationalise all those apps I had but never used on my old iP4.

Does anyone know the best way to copy over the camera roll without restoring from backup though?

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Uhh maybe this is just me..I always set it up as a new device if it is a new device...meaning since 3G where iCloud was becoming a new and growing feature..I would make a new account for each device since. Idk why, I know I'm able to keep multiple restore points for back up, but I always made new email/apple account for 3GS then when I got the 4, repeated the process as well as 4S. So I have numerous accounts now but for each corresponding product.

Note, the iOS is constantly updated along with the phone and I assumed I had to update almost every. Single. App anyways so fresh install was likely better. The only con is indeed: contacts. I tried third party restore like gmail but I stopped since 4 because it was just a failing matter. 500+ contacts whoosh. Then again it's cleaned up. Those I don't keep in contact no longer need to be dead memory on my phone so :)

This makes absolutely no sense, especially since you preface it by saying "I don't know why.."

So do you repurchase apps with each account?

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know the best way to copy over the camera roll without restoring from backup though?

I always pull all my pics off the iPhone and into folders on my Mac and then sync those folders back via iTunes (can do same w a PC) -- so that solves your camera roll question for me

Reactions: alexberry

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Uhh maybe this is just me..I always set it up as a new device if it is a new device...meaning since 3G where iCloud was becoming a new and growing feature..I would make a new account for each device since. Idk why, I know I'm able to keep multiple restore points for back up, but I always made new email/apple account for 3GS then when I got the 4, repeated the process as well as 4S. So I have numerous accounts now but for each corresponding product.

This is a TERRIBLE way of handling your iPhones! There is absolutely no need to use multiple iTunes accounts for content -- certainly not based on a new iPhone each year. And as far as I know Apple will not let you combine these accounts so you are stuck purchasing apps multiple times. With one iTunes account you can still choose what you do and do not want to install on your new iPhone each year. I really don't follow your logic here... but to each his/her own I suppose!

iLoveApple16

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna be starting fresh. I dont have that many apps and few require a login so it's not a problem for me. I like that "brand new" feeling when I don't restore from a back up.

emozdashietxp

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
LOL i guess it's a bad way to explain. itll be even more confusing if i try to explain in a different way ahah. so i will say just set up as completely new device :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods