SIM and switching iPhone 5 to different line?

jpayne80

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I opened a new line to get the iP5 and will be putting a dumbphone on it and the iP5 on mine. How does the SIM switching work? I know being an Apple product there can't be an accessible slot, so does it need taken to Apple to make the switch? Will they charge for the nano SIM? I know Verizon gives SIMs away free but as of yesterday they didn't have the nano listed on their site to ship. TIA! :)

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 4 had an accessible SIM slot. The Verizon one did not because of no SIM cards on the CDMA network, but the GSM (AT&T) phones did. I would imagine the iP5 is the same way.

jpayne80

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Ah ok, thank you. Maybe I'll call CS and see if they can order me one so I don't have to mess with waiting in line on launch day.

patton4549

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if that is true, all Verizon lte phones use a sim card now for 4g lte. So you might need a new sim once you activated it on the new line then transfer it to your old line

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I've done this a couple times over the years. The easiest way is to go to a carrier store and just tell them what you are doing. I know with AT&T last year with my iP4S they had no problem with the switching around of SIMs and told me it doesn't matter what line you use to upgrade and whether it not the new phone actually stays on that line.

jpayne80

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if that is true, all Verizon lte phones use a sim card now for 4g lte. So you might need a new sim once you activated it on the new line then transfer it to your old line

Thanks, I knew that, I've had 4G phones on Verizon before - basically I wanted to know physically how a new one needed to be installed; whether I needed to go to a store for them to do it with tools or what.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon today and asked because I am doing same thing... According to them, with the iPhone 5, you will not need a new nano sim. They can change phone numbers on the sim. They said this is only possible on the iPhone.

I was going to have a new nano sim sent for same reason. It they assured me it would not be needed. I suggest a few of you call and see if you get same answer.

Sent from my tricked out Iphone!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods