No simultaneous voice/data for Verizon (Sprint?) iPhone 5????

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've never had it, so I guess I wont really miss it, but I sure was looking forward to using it if need be.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's one of those things techno-weenie fanboys of one carrier vs others like to lord over others, using massive smugness. It's also something Verizon & Sprint users who've never had it before won't miss... and, lastly it's something that matters not when one has wifi available.

MEH.

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
That would really bum me out and keep me from upgrading to the phone. I didn't think it would be a huge issue for me but it really has been a PITA not being able to voice/data at the same time.

Tre

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
When I use voice & data:

1) on the phone + check traffic
2) on the phone + get directions
3) on the phone + check movie options
4) on the phone + make open table reservation
5) on the phone + look a question up on the web
6) on the phone + receive/quick reply to email

Obviously, plenty of people don't use smartphones as phones nowadays so it'll only affect the minority that still uses up minutes.

This is a big negative for me.... although I wasn't planning on upgrading from my AT&T iPhone 4. Still looks brand new and I don't need Siri.

-Tre

petsnspace

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Isn't the voice carried by CDMA and data by LTE? If thats the case then it might be an issue of simultaneous voice and data not being available when no LTE is available.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the voice carried by CDMA and data by LTE? If thats the case then it might be an issue of simultaneous voice and data not being available when no LTE is available.

Speculation... it's a battery consideration - keeping two radios lit up would kill battery.

revised: per the NY Times via Mac Rumors, Apple says it's an antennae thing... they opted not to include a 3rd antenna that would facilitate talk&surf.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It's one of those things techno-weenie fanboys of one carrier vs others like to lord over others, using massive smugness. It's also something Verizon & Sprint users who've never had it before won't miss... and, lastly it's something that matters not when one has wifi available.

MEH.

actually the thunderbolt and various other lte devices can do it both on lte and 3g.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

kfreeman_23

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
it kinda sucks because that is what 4g LTE was supposed to do! but im still gonna get it any way. I wish it could be like that for now and be fixed with a apple software update!

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I feel like that is inaccurate because Verizon sends voice over CDMA and if you're connected to LTE it shouldn't be a problem

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I feel like that is inaccurate because Verizon sends voice over CDMA and if you're connected to LTE it shouldn't be a problem
It is a problem when the Apple explanation I posted above is considered. They didn't put enough antennae in the phone to light up the CDMA radio and LTE at the same time.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
And?? All I said was those who've never had it (talk&surf on cellular only) will never miss it.

That those models of phone can do whatever it is they do is irrelevant to me. I do not care about them.

Apple explains it all: Verizon iPhone 5 Will Not Offer Simultaneous Voice and Data [Update: It Was A Hardware Decision] - Mac Rumors

After reading the macrumors article I get it. As Apple always does its thinking ahead. Apple is not behind it's the 4G LTE technology not being able to carry voice yet. So I'm assuming that in 2years and LTE carries voice if one has a iPhone 5 they would be good to go?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Verizon and Sprint Won't Support Simultaneous Voice and Data on iPhone 5?

This would suck! Let's HOPE it was just some typical un-informed Verizon PR Rep that "confirmed" this.....

In my opinion, the simultaneous voice & data is overrated. When I left AT&T some years back and joined either Sprint or Verizon (I can't remember which), I thought that I would miss out by not having that feature even though I had never needed to talk & surf at the same time. Well, when I made the switch, my fears were wrong and I realized that not having that feature didn't interfere whatsoever with how I use my phone/smartphone. Not once have I needed to simultaneously talk & surf while on 3G and that is usually when I'm away from home. When I'm at home, I'm normally on Wi-Fi and we all know that we can talk & surf while on Wi-Fi. Still, I understand that the ability to simultaneously talk & surf is a deal breaker to some, but it's a non-issue for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaPhoneking

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
And?? All I said was those who've never had it (talk&surf on cellular only) will never miss it.

That those models of phone can do whatever it is they do is irrelevant to me. I do not care about them.

Apple explains it all: Verizon iPhone 5 Will Not Offer Simultaneous Voice and Data [Update: It Was A Hardware Decision] - Mac Rumors

So because you don't use it that means nobody uses it? Clearly you said they never had it so they wont miss it, which I proved you wrong as both sprint and verizon lte devices have been able to do it over 3g. Great reading comprehension....:rolleyes:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
After reading the macrumors article I get it. As Apple always does its thinking ahead. Apple is not behind it's the 4G LTE technology not being able to carry voice yet. So I'm assuming that in 2years and LTE carries voice if one has a iPhone 5 they would be good to go?

This will all go away when voice over LTE deploys... the cellular version of voice over IP... and it is being worked on.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
So because you don't use it that means nobody uses it? Clearly you said they never had it so they wont miss it, which I proved you wrong as both sprint and verizon lte devices have been able to do it over 3g. Great reading comprehension....:rolleyes:

dude... you proved me wrong about nothing. Sorry that it escapes you that the people who don't have the ability to talk&surf now on the equipment they have will not miss what they don't have right now. The fact that some people can with other equipment is irrelevant, no matter how hard you try to say it is. When it comes to reading comp, you are far less well off than you accuse me of being. :rolleyes: right back at you.

Last edited: