Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jsntrenkler
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

17 Posts

Default Is the A1429 both GSM and CDMA capable?

For some reason Apple lists three different cellular versions of the new iPhone 5 on the tech specs page but only uses two different model numbers; A1428 & A1429.

If you look carefully at the CDMA A1429 you'll notice that it lists all the GSM technologies and frequencies as well. So does this mean the A1429 is a single version that Apple has chosen to call out in two seperate cellular versions?

In the 'Cellular and Wireless' section of Apple - iPhone 5 - Compare specifications between iPhone models. it again lists two different versions (without a model number this time) of GSM and CDMA.

So perhaps there is a A1429_A and A1429_B and you get a physcially different phone depending on your carrier choice. Or perhaps, when you choose a carrier, you get a certain baseband version which enables/disables the various frequencies. But then the CDMA line of the tech spec's lists all the GSM goodies too... so wouldn't you be best getting the CDMA version so you have maximum choice for world roaming?

And what if you buy an unlocked one and therefore don't choose a carrier, what baseband or hardware do you get then?

Would love some answers from more knowledgeable folk on this as I want to buy a US iPhone 5 to use in the UK (where I live) and the US where I travel often, and well, the rest of the world which I go to as well.
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default Re: Is the A1429 both GSM and CDMA capable?

It turns out there really are 3 kinds, with 2 model numbers. Bought a CDMA iPhone 5 1429 in the US, but when I brought it to Hong Kong, it can work with SmarTone's 3G network, but LTE doesn't work! The LTE band support listed on the Apple site show no reason why it shouldn't work. Nevertheless, SmarTone are not listed next to the supported carriers for the CDMA 1429, and that is sadly true.

Quite frustrating.
    iMore Elite

2,635 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,957 Global Posts

Would be nice to see apple release one phone that supports all bands, perhaps the tech isn't there yet ... How awesome would it be to buy your phone directly from apple and use it on any cellular network in the world with no limitations .... Someday perhaps
    dobermansrule likes this.
    iMore Genius

3,680 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,787 Global Posts

I'm more curious why someone answered a thread from 2012.