Apple is losing...it's magical touch?

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
The magic on stage is gone, but also the phone itself.

This phone would have been FANTASTIC if they hadnt released 4S last year and bam hit us with all this. But a year later, with Siri in Beta and almost any and all functions of 5 being available on 4S with iOS6, this phone doesnt have that WOW factor.
Sure, it will sell millions but this will mark the first time for many iPhone users (like myself) where you all of a sudden find yourself considering other brands just cause the iPhone 5 that we all waited so long for isnt just ALL THAT and missing its MOJO! ;)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The magic on stage is gone, but also the phone itself.

This phone would have been FANTASTIC if they hadnt released 4S last year and bam hit us with all this. But a year later, with Siri in Beta and almost any and all functions of 5 being available on 4S with iOS6, this phone doesnt have that WOW factor.
Sure, it will sell millions but this will mark the first time for many iPhone users (like myself) where you all of a sudden find yourself considering other brands just cause the iPhone 5 that we all waited so long for isnt just ALL THAT and missing its MOJO! ;)

shut up and buy it

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
See from a pure sales perspective its kind of hard to say they lost the magic. They are dominating the mobile market. So how do you improve on that? You can take a 2 approaches. Go crazy with specs and all these new features (GS3/Nokia 920). Or you can improve what you do best. Apple knows what they are doing and when you add up all the new features this phone has over the 4S its a pretty big upgrade. The fact that they can maintain battery life while adding 4G is huge accomplishment in itself!

GreatNeal

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
See from a pure sales perspective its kind of hard to say they lost the magic. They are dominating the mobile market. So how do you improve on that? You can take a 2 approaches. Go crazy with specs and all these new features (GS3/Nokia 920). Or you can improve what you do best. Apple knows what they are doing and when you add up all the new features this phone has over the 4S its a pretty big upgrade. The fact that they can maintain battery life while adding 4G is huge accomplishment in itself!

Yeap I know what your talking about.
But because Apple is at the top.
That's what we expect it to be able to do and give us EVEN more. that's why many were disappointed.

Obsidian71

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
People expect Apple to spoon feed them information. If you are technologist then it shouldn't take a Steve Jobs performance to convince you about the technology and its worth.

I'm sorry but most of the disappointments are coming from people that had an ideal about a particular feature and consider the phone a failure if they don't get what they wanted.

"no wider iPhone....one star!" A lot of it is the same type of idiocy that you see in user submitted app reviews where one missing feature means an app is worthless?

Then you have people crowing about innovation. That is subjective. What exactly is innovation and how can we judge the iPhone 5 on innovation when few have held it in their hands and used it.

Basically we go through this EVERY year. The naysayers complain because a Flux Capacitor wasn't included this year. They walk into a store and try the phone and they realize it's not bad.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeap I know what your talking about.
But because Apple is at the top.
That's what we expect it to be able to do and give us EVEN more. that's why many were disappointed.

The thing is Apple is not at the top right now. IOS is getting murdered by Android in market share and the Galaxy S3 eclipsed the iPhone 4S as the best selling smartphone. Apple needs to step up its game.

Sent from somewhere

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The thing is Apple is not at the top right now. IOS is getting murdered by Android in market share and the Galaxy S3 eclipsed the iPhone 4S as the best selling smartphone. Apple needs to step up its game.

wow, the GS3 is beating a 1 year old iPhone?? if true then i think that is good, competition is good - right?

oh and by the way, Apple has stepped up their game. it's called the iPhone 5, which we have yet to see how much it will murder the GS3 numbers by. i think sometimes people fail to realize what ONE iPhone per year does against many other devices year after year. i'm not saying the current OS is not getting redundant. i am simply pointing out the FACT that it is still putting up incredible numbers some how. numbers don't lie

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Sent from somewhere

Let's break down your post here...

Android's market share is a result of flooding the market with phones with the Android OS. They literally have 90% of the phone types on the market running it, from the cheapest crap Metro PCS phones to the Galaxy S III...when you put your OS on that many different phones, in a million different variants, of course your market share is going to increase, you're comparing apples to oranges in that light, 1,000 different handsets vs. 1 from Apple.

The Galaxy S III sold more than the 4S last month...because the iPhone 5 was teased and people stopped buying last year's iPhone. Adorable that you're excited about this, considering that is the Android cream of the crop, but unfortunately for your excitement, it will prove to be short lived, as the iPhone 5 just blasted the GSIII (and probably all the historic iPhone selling records) out of the water.

Apple is having a very good day today. As they do...every...single...year.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Show me where in my post that I said I was excited the GS3 was outselling the iPhone 4S. I simply stated a fact. You Apple fans need to stop treating every dissenting opinion as an attack.

Sent from somewhere

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
There's no doubt this launch will shatter records. Too much pent up demand. So many carriers at once now have it. Even the small rural carriers will have it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Show me where in my post that I said I was excited the GS3 was outselling the iPhone 4S. I simply stated a fact. You Apple fans need to stop treating every dissenting opinion as an attack.

Sent from somewhere

You simply stated part of a fact...while omitting information that would basically make your "point" kind of moot.

Your comment was grossly generalized to sensationalize the idea that the Galaxy S III was outselling the iPhone...then you went on to say that Android controlled the market vs. Apple. In both of those scenarios you left out some pretty detrimental facts that explain exactly WHAT those pieces of information actually mean. Of course a new phone is going to outsell a year old handset that is literally weeks from being replaced (as the 4S was in August), and it's simple economics that a company would lead a market if they flood the market with their product in every part of the pricing scale.

Compare iPhone to any ONE of those products and you have a totally different story, unless the iPhone is being replaced within a month, then you wait until today, where you compare the GSIII sales to the iPhone 5, that apparently sold out it's pre-order allotment faster than any iPhone that has ever been released.

You can attack Apple all day, i could care less about that...but when you try to push half facts as headlines, you look like FOX news or CNN trying to get ratings vs. putting out the truth. Sensationalism, look it up.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I was simply responding to an overly generalized comment that Apple was at the top. Top of what? Smartphone sales? No. Market share? No. What exactly is Apple the top of? I know! They are the top at selling rehashed versions of similar looking hardware with an outdated version of an OS that needs serious revamping. The iPhone 5, now comes with an EXTRA ROW OF STATIC ICONS!! WHOOPEE!!! You know, without dissenting opinions companies become complacent. When companies become complacent they take things for granted. I would actually love for sales of the iPhone 5 to be lower so it puts a scare into Apple and they are forced to bust their nuts to design something truly revolutionary in both the iOS and hardware sides. Buy that won't happen. I'm afraid that Apple will coast on their past successes and continue to deliver items that, for me, generate nothing more than a big fat "meh."

Sent from somewhere

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I was simply responding to an overly generalized comment that Apple was at the top. Top of what? Smartphone sales? No. Market share? No. What exactly is Apple the top of? I know! They are the top at selling rehashed versions of similar looking hardware with an outdated version of an OS that needs serious revamping. The iPhone 5, now comes with an EXTRA ROW OF STATIC ICONS!! WHOOPEE!!! You know, without dissenting opinions companies become complacent. When companies become complacent they take things for granted. I would actually love for sales of the iPhone 5 to be lower so it puts a scare into Apple and they are forced to bust their nuts to design something truly revolutionary in both the iOS and hardware sides. Buy that won't happen. I'm afraid that Apple will coast on their past successes and continue to deliver items that, for me, generate nothing more than a big fat "meh."

Sent from somewhere

So your retort to what Apple is on top of is a bunch of opinionated drivel about the iPhone 5? Ok. I'll leave your little temper tantrum alone, and stick to the facts...

Apple was on top of the GSIII when it came to sales numbers with the 4S until August when the iPhone 5 was teased and unofficially "announced". The iPhone 5 sales will speak for themselves, there's really no debate about that, it's already apparently beyond the previous records, but again, I'll let the sales speak for themselves, its a success before it's even released.

That said, i understand your opinion, a lot of people feel the phone needed a radical refreshment, and the great thing is, you don't have to buy it, it's really that simple. To many people, the Porsche 911 is a dated, sort of "drab" refresh (and has been since it has remained relatively the same for about 4 decades or so)...and while people may have that stance, the FACT remains that it is an incredible machine, a front running sports car, and in the end, it is considered an elite automobile.

The same is true about the iPhone, regardless of your opinion of the datedness of the OS, the redesign or Apple itself, the bottom line is, it is an elite phone, it finds success every year, and it is the front runner EVERY year in sales and projections...the only thing that gets in the iPhone's way (as of right now) is itself (meaning a new variant is coming and drops the sales of the previous years model for a short period)...the Galaxy S III didn't cause the 4S to drop in sales, the iPhone 5 did. Taking the information that the Galaxy S III jumped ahead of the 4S in sales and proclaiming Android is some how "taking over" is just comedic, and regardless of what side of the fence you stand firmly behind, EVERY person that is interested in consumer electronics knows this. That is a fact.

Reactions: Fausty82

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Sent from somewhere

Really? You're going there? The GS3 only passed the iPhone very recently because everyone was waiting for the new iPhone to drop. SMH

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's a shame Apple has lost its edge. Wonder what last night would have been like if they were still on top of their game?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2