Adding a line to upgrade to iphone 5

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Here is my situation. I wan't to preorder the iphone 5 and I'm currently not due for full upgrade until May. I called At&t and they suggested I add a new line and get the iphone 5. Once received I have to call them to switch the iphone 5 to my current number. Obviously, I need them to cancel the data on the new line I won't be using. They said once that is done it will cost me $10 extra a month for that line. They also offered me free sms for the next 6 months which is $20 a month x 6 = $120. The cost of the new line will be $120 for a year. With that said the new iphone will really cost me $200. My question is, how hard is it to get AT&T to make the second line $10 a month? What will happen if I sold my iphone 4s that will be transfered on the second line? Do I need to have a phone on the dummy second line for it to be $10 month and not receive ETF for it? Has anyone done this option before? I figure if this works out the way AT&T described it, I might as well keep the extra line for $10 and be able to upgrade every year. I know it's extra $120 a year but if you compare it to upgrading through early discount of $200+$250 fee, it is still cheaper. Please advise if I should proceed with this plan.

Last edited:

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Here is my situation. I wan't to preorder the iphone 5 and I'm currently not due for full upgrade until May. I called At&t and they suggested I add a new line and get the iphone 5. Once received I have to call them to switch the iphone 5 to my current number. Obviously, I need them to cancel the data on the new line I won't be using. They said once that is done it will cost me $10 extra a month for that line. They also offered me free sms for the next 6 months which is $20 a month x 6 = $120. The cost of the new line will be $120 for a year. With that said the new iphone will really cost me $200. My question is, how hard is it to get AT&T to make the second line $10 a month? What will happen if I sold my iphone 4s that will be transfered on the second line? Do I need to have a phone on the dummy second line for it to be $10 month and not receive ETF for it? Has anyone done this option before? I figure if this works out the way AT&T described it, I might as well keep the extra line for $10 and be able to upgrade every year. I know it's extra $120 a year but if you compare it to upgrading through early discount of $200+$250 fee, it is still cheaper. Please advise if I should proceed with this plan.

Will they give you unlimited data on the 2d line?

Verizon will do something similar

Scottsomnia#IM

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
This is the method I have been using for several years. I have the 2 lines one I do not use but I do have a phone connected on that line . As far as what I pay my bill is 137 / month which include both lines. On the off year when I have to buy the IPhone on the second line I just have them switch the number and it works

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
It's easy peasy. They can tell what handset is being used, and don't require data unless it's a smartphone. We have 4 lines, two of which are on iPhones, the others $10/month, so I can upgrade every year.

It helps if you have someone who needs a line, but I guess it's still better than paying the early upgrade fee if you don't.

adamkesher

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
So I can get the iPhone 5 by adding a line with Sprint for $199, then sell my 4S, and just pay an extra $10 a month for the year? The sale of the 4S would offset that easily...

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I ended up taking an early discount upgrade from At&t. It's the 200+250 fee upgrade. This plan will end up costing me $30 more a month because I have an individual plan. For those with family plan, this trick will work because it only cost $10 to add a line since you already have family plan minutes.

cocochannel

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I think adding a line is better than paying an extra 250 if you already have a family plan. Why?
Because over the course of two years you pay 9.99x24= $240. So thats not only 10 dollar cheaper but you get an actual service: a line which can take advantage of unlimited sms and calls to anymobile plus you get to keep your uprgrade status for the following year. VS nothing

Last edited:

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you but i don't have a family plan :(. If I did this it will push me to a family plan and pay $30 more a month.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2