Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By evorc
  • 1 Post By adamkesher
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts

Default Adding a line to upgrade to iphone 5

Here is my situation. I wan't to preorder the iphone 5 and I'm currently not due for full upgrade until May. I called At&t and they suggested I add a new line and get the iphone 5. Once received I have to call them to switch the iphone 5 to my current number. Obviously, I need them to cancel the data on the new line I won't be using. They said once that is done it will cost me $10 extra a month for that line. They also offered me free sms for the next 6 months which is $20 a month x 6 = $120. The cost of the new line will be $120 for a year. With that said the new iphone will really cost me $200. My question is, how hard is it to get AT&T to make the second line $10 a month? What will happen if I sold my iphone 4s that will be transfered on the second line? Do I need to have a phone on the dummy second line for it to be $10 month and not receive ETF for it? Has anyone done this option before? I figure if this works out the way AT&T described it, I might as well keep the extra line for $10 and be able to upgrade every year. I know it's extra $120 a year but if you compare it to upgrading through early discount of $200+$250 fee, it is still cheaper. Please advise if I should proceed with this plan.
    Last edited by EvoRC; 09-13-2012 at 01:20 AM.
    offdahglass likes this.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRC View Post
    Here is my situation. I wan't to preorder the iphone 5 and I'm currently not due for full upgrade until May. I called At&t and they suggested I add a new line and get the iphone 5. Once received I have to call them to switch the iphone 5 to my current number. Obviously, I need them to cancel the data on the new line I won't be using. They said once that is done it will cost me $10 extra a month for that line. They also offered me free sms for the next 6 months which is $20 a month x 6 = $120. The cost of the new line will be $120 for a year. With that said the new iphone will really cost me $200. My question is, how hard is it to get AT&T to make the second line $10 a month? What will happen if I sold my iphone 4s that will be transfered on the second line? Do I need to have a phone on the dummy second line for it to be $10 month and not receive ETF for it? Has anyone done this option before? I figure if this works out the way AT&T described it, I might as well keep the extra line for $10 and be able to upgrade every year. I know it's extra $120 a year but if you compare it to upgrading through early discount of $200+$250 fee, it is still cheaper. Please advise if I should proceed with this plan.
    Will they give you unlimited data on the 2d line?

Verizon will do something similar
    iPhone Nanite

This is the method I have been using for several years. I have the 2 lines one I do not use but I do have a phone connected on that line . As far as what I pay my bill is 137 / month which include both lines. On the off year when I have to buy the IPhone on the second line I just have them switch the number and it works
    iPhone Pro

iOS Version

This is good information, considering this is what I plan on doing tonight.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

It's easy peasy. They can tell what handset is being used, and don't require data unless it's a smartphone. We have 4 lines, two of which are on iPhones, the others $10/month, so I can upgrade every year.

It helps if you have someone who needs a line, but I guess it's still better than paying the early upgrade fee if you don't.
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPad 2
    iPhone user since 2009
    Jailbreaker
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts

Is it mandatory to have a phone on the dummy line I won't use? I'm planning to sell my 4s.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

No, they won't force you to use what you pay for.
    iPhone user since 2009
    Jailbreaker
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts

So I can get the iPhone 5 by adding a line with Sprint for $199, then sell my 4S, and just pay an extra $10 a month for the year? The sale of the 4S would offset that easily...
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by bettyelms View Post
    So I can get the iPhone 5 by adding a line with Sprint for $199, then sell my 4S, and just pay an extra $10 a month for the year? The sale of the 4S would offset that easily...
    Yep. That's how it's done.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts

Thanks, guess I wont be waiting a year after all!
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts

Do you need to be on a family plan to do this?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks, guess I wont be waiting a year after all!
    It does seem odd to do all of that for an upgrade though just to save a few dollars. Some believe it may be worth it.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

I'm thinking if I should do this. I don't know yet. Lol Even sprint suggested that I can do this. Hmmmm
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Yep. That's how it's done.
    With a shared everything plan, the 2nd line can be used for let's say an ipad. However, you would have to give up unlimited data.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Do you need to be on a family plan to do this?
    With a shared everything plan, the 2nd line can be used for let's say an ipad.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts

I ended up taking an early discount upgrade from At&t. It's the 200+250 fee upgrade. This plan will end up costing me $30 more a month because I have an individual plan. For those with family plan, this trick will work because it only cost $10 to add a line since you already have family plan minutes.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

I think adding a line is better than paying an extra 250 if you already have a family plan. Why?
    Because over the course of two years you pay 9.99x24= $240. So thats not only 10 dollar cheaper but you get an actual service: a line which can take advantage of unlimited sms and calls to anymobile plus you get to keep your uprgrade status for the following year. VS nothing
    Last edited by cocochannel; 09-15-2012 at 11:18 AM.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts

I agree with you but i don't have a family plan . If I did this it will push me to a family plan and pay $30 more a month.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

You need t get a family!
    iPhone user since 2009
    Jailbreaker
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johndhynes View Post
    You need t get a family!
    lol I guess so.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Would this work on the Verizon Share Everything plan? They charge $30 for basic phones and $10 for tabs. Is there anyway that after the moving the iPhone 5 to another line and getting rid of the data on the "spare line" that it would $10 or would it have to be $30 through this plan on Verizon?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,942 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by EW8000 View Post
    Would this work on the Verizon Share Everything plan? They charge $30 for basic phones and $10 for tabs. Is there anyway that after the moving the iPhone 5 to another line and getting rid of the data on the "spare line" that it would $10 or would it have to be $30 through this plan on Verizon?
    A dumb phone is 30 a smart phone 40 and tab 10 .. That is the share plan the older plans it would be 10 to add a line then 30 for data you drop data then it's only 10
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    A dumb phone is 30 a smart phone 40 and tab 10 .. That is the share plan the older plans it would be 10 to add a line then 30 for data you drop data then it's only 10
    So to confirm, under the Share Everything Plan I would have not choice but to pay $30, correct?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    Hold on. I have the old plan with verizon (before share everything) and I have this as my setup: 2 lines, 700 shared family minutes, unlimited night and weekends, unlimited texting, line 1 is unlimited (my line) and line 2 is 2gb data.

If I were to add a 3rd line getting the iphone 5 I would pay 40 dollars a month extra for it, but you are saying later on you can drop the data aspect off of the 40 dollars and thus making it only 10 bucks a month? Wont they charge me ETF for cancelling data?
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: Adding a line to upgrade to iphone 5

They shouldn't since the line itself stays active