Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Post iPhone 5 and unlimited data plan

It appears that Verizon customers who still have unlimited data plans will be able to keep those plans if they buy the new iPhone at full price. I'm one of those people, and I'm seriously considering buying the 16 GB version at full cost so I can keep my data plan and then tether my iPad to my iPhone. Is anyone else out there thinking of doing the same thing?

Verizon: Subsidized iPhone 5 or Unlimited Data, Not Both
    kfreeman_23 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Probably going to toss in my unlimited data and opt for the $30 for 2GB that I was told previous customers could get...my avg data use is 800mb - 1gig.

Share Everything would cost me a lot more per month...and if I was forced into that I would pay retail.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    785 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I am transferring an upgrade from another line. Because of that, that transferred line will no longer have unlimited. I'll have to go with the 2Gb plan for that. I'll live, or I should say my son will live.
    iPhone Nanite

For anyone who is interesting in buying the Iphone5 out right with Verizon, I have an unlimited data contract I am looking for someone to take over. Just throwing it out there.
    cavfamily1 likes this.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by mfm77 View Post
    It appears that Verizon customers who still have unlimited data plans will be able to keep those plans if they buy the new iPhone at full price. I'm one of those people, and I'm seriously considering buying the 16 GB version at full cost so I can keep my data plan and then tether my iPad to my iPhone. Is anyone else out there thinking of doing the same thing?

Yep, already knew that's what I'd be doing with any future phone purchases on Verizon.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I'm transferring from a line that already has 2 for 30 so no loss and my gain lol
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    iOS Version

By the way, I just realized that AT&T customers can keep their unlimited data plans and still get the iPhone 5 at a subsidized price. Wonder if Verizon would change its mind? If not, they may lose lots of customers, including me...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    iOS Version

By the way, I just realized that AT&T customers can keep their unlimited data plans and still get the iPhone 5 at a subsidized price. Wonder if Verizon would change its mind? If not, they may lose lots of customers, including me...
    Maybe you could use it as a bargaining chip...but I doubt it
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You can ask Verizon but they will point out you cannot get unlimited data if you leave them am join AT&T.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

Yes AT&T users on grandfathered unlimited plans get to keep it but get only 5gb of lte then get throttled really bad.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    3,542 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.1

I have unlimited Data. So I open another line and get the 5. Then, Switch the 5 on my account so it has unlimited and just pay the extra 10 bucks a month for the other line until I sell the 4S and pay off the ETF
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terrigno View Post
    I have unlimited Data. So I open another line and get the 5. Then, Switch the 5 on my account so it has unlimited and just pay the extra 10 bucks a month for the other line until I sell the 4S and pay off the ETF
    If you add another line to your plan then doesn't that force you into the shared data plan (verizon of course)?
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

For those of you who are on Verizon with unlimited data, you must also ALREADY HAVE A LTE DEVICE to keep your grandfathered data. For example if you have a bunch of iPhones with no LTE devices on your account, even if you buy an iphone outright you will not be able to activate it on your unlimited account
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    For those of you who are on Verizon with unlimited data, you must also ALREADY HAVE A LTE DEVICE to keep your grandfathered data. For example if you have a bunch of iPhones with no LTE devices on your account, even if you buy an iphone outright you will not be able to activate it on your unlimited account
    That is absolutely not the case. Verizon has already said that if you're willing to pay full price you can upgrade to 4g from a 3g phone. How do I know this? I did it last week, I got a RAZR maxx after having an iPhone.
    Thanked by:
    beeray (09-13-2012), DaPhoneking (09-13-2012), Morganas (09-13-2012)
    iRy757 likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jsmooth88 View Post
    For anyone who is interesting in buying the Iphone5 out right with Verizon, I have an unlimited data contract I am looking for someone to take over. Just throwing it out there.
    I dont think it will stay unlimited if u change the name on the primary account. If you can then ill take ur account.
    Where are u planing on going next?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    Negative not the case
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

with 4G maybe it will be much more data-consuming than 3G?
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

For verizon, if you already have a line that has a capped data allowance (2gb for $30) and another line with unlimited data...order the 5 on the capped line then activate it on the unlimited line, nothing price wise changes and you get unlimited 4G data and the capped line stays the same.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I did some calculations last night and came up with this. When I factor in the 15% discount I get on my bill for being a teacher, I'd actually save money by buying the phone unsubsidized and keeping my data plan as is. Even if I added the hotspot, I'd still make out with savings.
    iphonefizzle likes this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

If I were to buy it, I'd pay full price to keep my unlimited data. I use way too much to ever drop it and it's cheaper in the long run to pay outright for the phone. I'd have to switch to a 10 gig or more plan and it's way too much money for me.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    iphonefizzle likes this.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Helvitis View Post
    That is absolutely not the case. Verizon has already said that if you're willing to pay full price you can upgrade to 4g from a 3g phone. How do I know this? I did it last week, I got a RAZR maxx after having an iPhone.
    I checked every possible scenario with Verizon. A Verizon manager in NY advised that when your contract expires (the 2 years is up) it does not matter what you have done- i.e.,bought a 5 at full price, even if you are grandfathered! The grandfathering will end and you will lose unlimited data because you moved to 4g.������

Eventually, they will get you since at some point there will be no more 3G phones. In the best case scenario, you will only be postponing the inevitable.

HOWEVER, I CALLED VERIZON WIRELESS TO CONFIRM THE ABOVE AND A SUPERVISOR STATED THE ABOVE IS INCORRECT! MISINFORMATION!
    Last edited by ekneeiphone; 09-13-2012 at 11:11 AM.
    Thanked by:
    beeray (09-13-2012)
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by sunrat39 View Post
    If you add another line to your plan then doesn't that force you into the shared data plan (verizon of course)?
    Not necessarily, you can still opt for the 700 min or 1400 share plan (or Loyalty 500). They would just prefer you to switch to a share data plan because that makes Verizon more money. I have 3 iPhones on my plan and none of us share data.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LSglock89 View Post
    Probably going to toss in my unlimited data and opt for the $30 for 2GB that I was told previous customers could get...my avg data use is 800mb - 1gig.

Share Everything would cost me a lot more per month...and if I was forced into that I would pay retail.
    Can you please clarify what you mean? Prior Verizon customers will get 2GB for $30??
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    785 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Current prior to the June change in elimination of tiered plans.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    895 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    I'm transferring from a line that already has 2 for 30 so no loss and my gain lol
    Pel: I've heard that if you transfer an upgrade, you can keep your unlimited data - is that true? My parents are both on my plan and my Dad said I can transfer his upgrade if I'll give him my 4S (done deal haha)...
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast