Why are Android users so upset by the 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The Android phones are actually cheaper most times...i think the Razr Maxx HD is $249 (32GB) with a contract and $649 out of contract...

Agreed. From what I've seen on AT&T at least, off contract Android device prices are always cheaper than Apple iPhone off contract prices.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Had a 3G, 4 and then tried a 5. Returned it after a week for a Note 2. Huge display, killer hardware, NFC, micro SD slot, removable battery and I can Swype to my heart's content on a keyboard big enough for even my 48 year old eyes :p Love my mac book air still (18 months of road warrior duty and going strong). Not hating on iPhones at all - I was just disappointed in what Apple provided (or didn't more accurately) so switched. If Apple ever increases display size (not just taller) and adds in the other stuff as above, I might come back. But for now, very happy with my decision. How's that for an ex-iPhone user not being upset? :p

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I do not see Apple increasing the screen to more than 4.3 inch diagonally in the future. I think that would be the ideal size for a phone. Not too big for one handed use and not too small for aging eyes.

Sent from my iPhone 7

jphillips1963

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I've owned phones with screens from tiny to now I think my razr maxx HD has a 4.7" screen personally I'd say 4.5" would be ideal. Now if apple would just do that and include the ability to use the web and talk simultaneously on Verizon I'd think about trying one out. I don't hate apple products what I dislike with apple is them telling me how I can or can not use a product I'm bought and paid for. That's really my biggest gripe with them.

anon(1458)

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Im not even gonna lie. I had a GSIII and loved it for a while and was downing the iPhone 5 BUT THEN I got tired of android, the horrible battery life, all the security patches and watching one carrier release new versions before others and some others not getting certain updates at all. 2 weeks ago I bought the 5 and love it.

Slayers

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I've owned phones with screens from tiny to now I think my razr maxx HD has a 4.7" screen personally I'd say 4.5" would be ideal. Now if apple would just do that and include the ability to use the web and talk simultaneously on Verizon I'd think about trying one out. I don't hate apple products what I dislike with apple is them telling me how I can or can not use a product I'm bought and paid for. That's really my biggest gripe with them.

I was the biggest Android fan and Apple hater but after picking up a 5 and getting rid of my razr I am very happy that I have done that.

You don't have to wait a year or more to get the next version of Android.

Battery life on this phone rocks I don't need to keep a charger with me at all times I can go 2 days with out a charge.

MrszBerry

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Im not even gonna lie. I had a GSIII and loved it for a while and was downing the iPhone 5 BUT THEN I got tired of android, the horrible battery life, all the security patches and watching one carrier release new versions before others and some others not getting certain updates at all. 2 weeks ago I bought the 5 and love it.

Same situation here. After time my battery life on the gs3 got worse :( I love the battery life on my iPhone and not having to worry if my battery will die if I head out lol

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Before I got the 5 I "tried" out the S3. Meh. I didn't care about it at all. Reception was a big issue for me as well as battery. You can see the battery drain right in front of your eyes. Was pretty bad.

Just something about having an iPhone that makes me feel complete lol.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

zombieguy85

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly what im wanting to do and how i feel do you have any regrets with your iphone 5 i have the htc vivid and im getting pissed about the force closes and bugs
:mad:

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Before I got the 5 I "tried" out the S3. Meh. I didn't care about it at all. Reception was a big issue for me as well as battery. You can see the battery drain right in front of your eyes. Was pretty bad.

Just something about having an iPhone that makes me feel complete lol.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Meh is right about the S3 over at Android Central they ran a post the other day about Samsung announcing another galaxy phone this time called the "Grand". It's a 5 inch variant but with a truly awful resolution 800x480 and it looks just like a bigger S3. Samsung is really starting to get stale with their designs and how fast they release phones is ridiculous. If I went back to Android it would be solely for the Nexus line. I love the designs of HTC but their battery life is the worst out of all android OEMs and Moto would be a close second to Nexus.

I just got tired of the crap battery life and wanted to be back on something I knew was reliable.

Beamed from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

YorkieRay

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm no real Android fan but I was doing some price comparisons last night. I took the Samsung Galaxy S3 mini, because it has a 4" screen similar to the iPhone 5, rather than the S3 which is much bigger. It was possible to order a brand new sim free S3 mini plus a branded 64GB sd card from Amazon UK for ?330. At Amazon a sim free 64GB iPhone 5 costs ?715 or ?699 from Apple.
If even the mighty Amazon are unable to get a penny discount out of Apple for an iPhone, what hope is there for the ordinary consumer?
Also, is the iPhone 5 really worth paying more than double the price of a Galaxy S3 mini for?

Last edited:

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't give a toasted sh1t what smartphone people use. Free country. Knock yourself out.

But maybe some of that Fandroid hate is because iPhone's US market share increased by 17.5% in 9 weeks
since the iPhone 5 was released. And maybe some more of that Fandroid hate is because there are no more
major cell carriers in the US for Android to hide in. Verizon was Android's safe haven, then they retreated to
Sprint. All to no avail.

iPhone now enjoys more than 50% of the US smartphone market for the first time. (53.3%, to be more precise.)
That will probably increase by Apple's January earnings call. Yet more frustration for the Fandroids out there.
Oh, they'll be quick to rattle off Chinese and European statistics, but how much does any Chinese Android phone
actually benefit Google and Android in general? Precious little.

For example, in Beijing alone, there are over 70 Android App Stores, all competing against each other and against
the vanilla Google Play service. It's bad enough to fragment the code base. But it's fatal to fragment the ecosystem like that.
But, as the whole world knows by now, Google hasn't made much progress China. They may never.

Sources:

Android vs. iPhone US market share (Fortune):
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/12/21/iphone-vs-android-shares-kantar/

Android's China Problem:
http://paidcontent.org/2011/12/08/419-androids-china-problem-schmidt-struggles-to-keeps-apps-in-his-market/

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade to the 5. I like my 3.5" screen - I don't want a flablet, or something approaching that. Not to mention I'm still in contract until next October with the 4S (although I'm eligible for a full upgrade in May 2013). I might go full retail next time around and avoid the contract.

RobbyRob

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Came to an iPhone 5 after numerous android devices. The thing that pulled me in was the application quality on the iPhone. All the apps I use on the iPhone are better than the android counterpart. I love google but damn, it's time to start focusing on polishing the OS and making a standard on resolution and hardware and quit adding gimmick features that not everyone uses. Like I said love android but for right now ill stick with my 2 day long battery and really nice looking apps.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say Android users are upset by the iPhone 5 itself; I'd say it's more the Apple fanboys. In the same way Apple fanboys are disgusted by Android fanboys (such as in this thread). Both types of fanboys are passionate! It's a type of "war" that will always be. In bygone days we probably argued about Ford vs. Chevy, John Deere vs. Allis Chalmers, NYC vs. LA, or Pan Am vs. Northwest Orient.

This is cliche, but both OS's have their strong points. I make a living in IT. I choose Android because I enjoy customizing, tweaking, the openness of the system, and flashing custom ROMs. But along with that I know that I am subject to more glitches. If a user would rather use a phone the way the manufacturer intended, go for iPhone. It virtually always works with few glitches.

Spenser Costanzo

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I have had pretty much every android device out there, droid 1, droid x, droid 2, GS II, HTC One X (quad core), galaxy nexus, galaxy note, galaxy note II, galaxy s 3, LG Nexus 4... all decent devices out of all those the Note II was a beast but I prefer my iPhone 5 out of all of them.. the note II was just too big especially while using it at the gym, the nexus 4 was nice but stuttered occasionally which bothered me for a quad core s4 and 2GB of ram.. my iPhone 5 is always smooth, audio output is awesome.. speakers are loud and the form factor is perfect for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.