Why are Android users so upset by the 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshdrl

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Scores of posts all over FB by Android users how uneventful and stupid the iPhone 5 is by Android users. If they claim their own OS and phones are so much superior why such an outcry? It floor me how upset they are by todays announcement.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's nothing new...every year the out pouring of genuine frustration from Android fan boys is a hilarious event to watch. They are so concerned that people KNOW they think their Galaxy S III is the best phone in the world that they spend more time talking down the iPhone than they do playing with their own phone itself!

It also has a lot to do with relevancy...for some reason Android radicals desperately need their phone to be the best and most talked about thing in existence (and if it's not, watch out!), and in that, they make it a mission to critically attack anything that gets in their way. You should see the absolutely hilarious things people say about the Windows phones when they were being released on the Android section of reddit.com...you'd think Microsoft sh*t in on their carpet with some of the things said.

Reactions: ITS ME DAVID

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I actually think it has more to do with all the lawsuits that have been going on and apple claiming that they are the "world's developers" when a majority of the stuff they put into the iphone has been around for awhile. I also think that they look at it in a way that they want apple to put out something show stopping so that it forces the android manufacturers, wp, bb everything to try to make something better. Competition.

Reactions: osensnolf

freshdrl

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I like how Apple keeps it simple and intuitive. If I wanted to waste time learning to root, play with roms, etc etc. I'd go Android. I like how there is little work involved with the iPhone. Android users see it more as a hobby, however that is one hobby I have 0 interest in. They find it offensive if anyone doesn't share their hobby. I also find it funny how more than half of their phones don't even have the latest OS. Whether it's the carriers fault or not, the headache still exist. Let's not mention the build quality on their phones are crap compared to iPhones. Cheap pieces of plastic that wouldn't even be good as a paper weight.

nzrocketman

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Ive never owned an iphone and was actually looking at buying the Iphone 5 however since the announcement i might wait to see what the Nokia Lumia 920 has to offer.

freshdrl

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I actually think it has more to do with all the lawsuits that have been going on and apple claiming that they are the "world's developers" when a majority of the stuff they put into the iphone has been around for awhile. I also think that they look at it in a way that they want apple to put out something show stopping so that it forces the android manufacturers, wp, bb everything to try to make something better. Competition.

I admit I was looking for something jaw dropping but there is only so much they can do each year. Hopefully sooner than later they do develop something that blows everyone out of the water, however I am satisfied enough to keep me buying.

poiman

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not an Android user, but as a future Lumia 920 owner I'm not upset at all.

The iPhone5 has no NFC, no inductive wireless charging, no OIS for the camera, no Super-sensitive touch screen, no Gorilla Glass 2, no exciting colors, no HAAC rich recording, it has lower pixels-per-inch (PPI) on the display, smaller display, worse battery life, worst camera specs, slower display refresh-rate. And you can't wear gloves while using it.

Time to switch for Lumia 920. Nokia put the bar too high and Apple couldn't match it. Simple as that!

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I really don't know why anyone gives two ****s about the phone someone else uses, nor do I understand the vitriol anyone can have for their phone being dissed (any of them).
These are tools to make your life easier, I use this site as a resource patronized by those who are a bit more personal technology savvy.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I don't think it has so much to do with the lawsuits honestly, people just use that as a crutch from what I've seen. The common complaint seems to be that the GSIII has more real estate on the screen, has a nice camera and gets great battery life while offering 4G speeds...and in that, i still can't find anything truly ground breaking outside of the fact that the Galaxy S is leaps and bounds better than the EVO, which "used" to be every Android fan's cream of the crop. Admittedly, when you come from something as terrible as the EVO to something that is arguably very good like the GSIII, it's no wonder the fanboys go ballistic when they hear anyone is happy about a new iPhone.

And trust me, i love competition as much as the next person...i think Apple is still progressing exactly how i would see them do so. Some of the things people mentioned (IE: NFC) are just things that are not ready to be widely (and feasibly) usable, so there's certainly no reason to try and make them selling points.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not an Android user, but as a future Lumia 920 owner I'm not upset at all.

The iPhone5 has no NFC, no inductive wireless charging, no OIS for the camera, no Super-sensitive touch screen, no Gorilla Glass 2, no exciting colors, no HAAC rich recording, it has lower pixels-per-inch (PPI) on the display, smaller display, worse battery life, worst camera specs, slower display refresh-rate. And you can't wear gloves while using it.

Time to switch for Lumia 920. Nokia put the bar too high and Apple couldn't match it. Simple as that!

Thankfully Nokia has a phone for the tiny niche of users that are hell bent about using gloves when they want to use their phone...and want a yellow (lmao) casing around it while trying to be a cinematographer using a cell phone when they really have no need for the feature that is being touted as such a detrimental feature. Also don't be surprised if your precious Nokia is missing any actual use for NFC as well.

Last edited:

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not upset that the iphone wasn't all that great, in fact I'm happy with what they did:thumbup: and I'm even happier that I didn't wait to upgrade to it and opted to get the S3 instead. Who cares as long as your happy with what you have or are gonna get then what's the problem.

Tap'n 'Like A Boss'

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone is good, some Android phones are good, don't know about Lumia. If you like your phone, that's all that matters. I'm sure I'd be happy with the top-of-the-line Android. The differences alone are not significant enough to go one way or the other. I'm not a fanboy, and I never owned Apple until iPhone. (Well, aside from a Shuffle.) But whatever superior features or specs that your Android may have, it's not iOS. It may be just as good or even better in some regards, but I've got time invested in the ecosystem, and hundreds of apps, going back to when there were no decent Android phones, yet. I have an iPad and I give my wife my old iPhone every year. Not to mention being able to share iMessage, FaceTime, PhotoStream, Appstore apps, iTunes music library, etc., with the other iDevices in my family; I'm sure Android has the equivalent, but like I said, I'm already invested. That's why I'm getting another iPhone, not because it's better, but because it's better for me. If I was forced to switch, I'd eventually get used to it, and next year I might get a new Android. Or maybe not, I don't know. They're just devices, and as much as I love mine, I'd ditch it if something really better came along.

NFC is not important to me. I've used wireless inductive charging with 3GS, 4 and 4S, and I'll miss it for a while, until PowerMat gets a case for the 5, but I can live without it. I would still get black no matter what other colors there were, or whatever if there was no black, who cares? I never wear gloves in California, but you can get gloves that work with iPhones. Camera, screen size, PPI, OIS/DIS, these things keep getting upgraded by both camps, so the differences aren't great enough to matter. But the 3GS I bought over 3 years is getting the new iOS upgrade, how many Android phones can do that?

poiman

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Thankfully Nokia has a phone for the tiny niche of users that are hell bent about using gloves when they want to use their phone...

I don't live in a country where it makes a lot of cold in the winter, but even here I've heard people complaining about not being able to use their phones if they are wearing gloves. Guess it's a nice addition. Technology adapts to you, not the opposite.

and want a yellow (lmao) casing around it

Yes yellow. AND red AND white AND gray AND black. It's called options, it's nice to have them. Your phone adapts to your tastes, not the opposite.

while trying to be a cinematographer using a cell phone when they really have no need for the feature that is being touted as such a detrimental feature.

Wow, no needed feature! It's so nice when you don't have a camera with you and you have to use your phone, but it creates ****ty photos because it's dark. Or maybe you are special and your photos never have blur! It's easy to solve those problems with a sensor that captures more light and with optical image stabilization, but you preffer to have just an average camera, that just like any other smartphone fails in many situations like the ones I mentioned. I preffer to have a smartphone with a camera that doesn't fail and every mentally sane person would preffer it too. It's no excuse to say that your photos aren't good because it was too dark or that your videos are blured because you were inside of a car. Again the camera of your phone adapts to the situations and produces great pictures. No reason to make excuses, your smartphone should just deal with the different situations of your life.

Enjoy your inferior processor,

Can you give me the actual specs of the A6 processor so we can compare? Apple decided to hide them.

and also, don't be surprised if your precious Nokia is missing any actual use for NFC as well.

Oh I have use for NFC, don't worry about that. I hate to have to deal with set ups and configurations and cables and that kind of stuff from the past. I preffer to just tap my speakers with my phone and they playing my music for me. Oh and speaking about wireless, if I let my phone uppon the speakers the phone will start charging automatically.

Last edited:

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Thankfully Nokia has a phone for the tiny niche of users that are hell bent about using gloves when they want to use their phone..

Yeah, I'm sure that's important in Finland. Which seems to be the only place still using them. (Nokia phones, that is.) I hope that the Lumia will be a worthy competitor, but I can't say that what I've heard the past few days is very promising. I want them to do well, and RIM and Palm, too, but they all seem to be going the same way. :(

Here are some gloves for you, right here on iMore.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I suspect that far too many people are downplaying the iPhone 5 because of its resemblance to the iphone 4 & 4S. They appear to want Apple to create a device that would wow them in terms of its appearance and they could care less about Apple wanting to create a specific looking device with innovation under the hood & via the OS. Still, the millions upon millions that Apple will sell in regard to the iPhone 5 is all that will matter to Apple, its shareholders and the many people who appreciate the device as-is.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I suspect that far too many people are downplaying the iPhone 5 because of its resemblance to the iphone 4 & 4S. They appear to want Apple to create a device that would wow them in terms of its appearance and they could care less about Apple wanting to create a specific looking device with innovation under the hood & via the OS..

Are looks really the most important thing? I care more about what my device can do than what it looks like. And I hardly think that the 4 was that ugly that we need something radically different, anyway. Hell, last year they didn't change it at all. The iPhone 5 is an iPhone, so it looks like an iPhone. And so does the Galaxy S, the Vibrant, the Mesmerize, that Galaxy X II...

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow, no needed feature! It's so nice when you don't have a camera with you and you have to use your phone, but it creates ****ty photos because it's dark. Or maybe you are special and your photos never have blur! It's easy to solve those problems with a sensor that captures more light and with optical image stabilization, but you preffer to have just an average camera, that just like any other smartphone fails in many situations like the ones I mentioned. I preffer to have a smartphone with a camera that doesn't fail and every mentally sane person would preffer it too. It's no excuse to say that your photos aren't good because it was too dark or that your videos are blured because you were inside of a car. Again the camera of your phone adapts to the situations and produces great pictures. No reason to make excuses, your smartphone should just deal with the different situations of your life.

I used to broadcast video from my car at night all the time with my 4, and later my 4S, and the images looked just fine, especially on the 4S with DIS.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Are looks really the most important thing? I care more about what my device can do than what it looks like.
A lot of people are indeed upset that the iPhone 5 is not too different, in terms of looks, to it predecessors so yes, looks are important. If Apple had made the iPhone 5 look similar to an old school Blackberry device with a physical keyboard, but the inside of it was technologically superior, would you consider buying it?
And I hardly think that the 4 was that ugly that we need something radically different, anyway.
The iPhone 4 & the 4S are gorgeous looking devices, but many people, mostly techie types, want each iteration of the iPhone to look totally different.
Hell, last year they didn't change it at all.
No, they did not and the device sold millions upon millions and so will the iPhone 5.
The iPhone 5 is an iPhone, so it looks like an iPhone. And so does the Galaxy S, the Vibrant, the Mesmerize, that Galaxy X II...
'nuf said.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't live in a country where it makes a lot of cold in the winter, but even here I've heard people complaining about not being able to use their phones if they are wearing gloves. Guess it's a nice addition. Technology adapts to you, not the opposite.

Yes yellow. AND red AND white AND gray AND black. It's called options, it's nice to have them. Your phone adapts to your tastes, not the opposite.

Can you give me the actual specs of the A6 processor so we can compare? Apple decided to hide them.

Oh I have use for NFC, don't worry about that. I hate to have to deal with set ups and configurations and cables and that kind of stuff from the past. I preffer to just tap my speakers with my phone and they playing my music for me. Oh and speaking about wireless, if I let my phone uppon the speakers the phone will start charging automatically.

The hilarious part about all of your retort is that you speak about the phone like you've used it and you know how it performs...for starters, Windows Mobile...ouch. Secondly, this camera you've gone on wikipedia and copy pasta'ed all the features of is something you've yet to see in action, A LOT of phone cameras have claimed supreme features compared to others (and typically against the iPhone camera since it's still widely considered the best out there)...low light functionality? I'll let you talk to my wife (an actual cinematographer with about $20,000 worth of camera equipment sitting on her desk right now) about a phone camera's functionality and how legitimate it is compared to anything at all...it means jack squat...comparison between the iPhone and the Nokia will be shown when they are both available for comparison, and to be honest, i think you're going to be eating crow on this supposedly "game changing" camera (just looking at the actual specs anyone would care about in the real world).

NFC...yeah, you knock yourself out searching any metro area for a place that actually uses it, i'll just swipe my card instead of wasting all that time. Talk to me in a couple of years when the tech is on it's feet and both the Nokia and iPhone 5 are dinosaurs.

As far as your tapping speakers, i prefer a legitimate sound stage balanced system, and have no use for bluetooth speakers as they are infinitely inferior. I don't mind cables to have optimal sound, perhaps I'm a dinosaur but i prefer quality over convenience in that world.

You keep spouting about your phone adapting to your taste and not the opposite...i agree whole heartedly, i prefer a phone that adapts to my taste and what i want in a smart phone today, and the iPhone encompasses all of that...this may not be the same to you, but that goes with anything in the world...in that though, i can't recall ever having a taste to necessitate my phone be functional while wearing gloves, or having my hands covered with pasta sauce, or using my eyebrows to make a phone call.

Enjoy your purple Nokia.

P.S. - Specs (so far) of the A6 chip...

sK16B.png

...here's a link so you can check out numbers (notice your Nokia's Krait vs. the A15 in the iPhone)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krait_(CPU)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal