What do you think of the new iPhone that was unveiled today?

Phone what you expected or more? Less?

• Exactly what I expected!

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • More than I expected!

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Eh, it's okay.

Votes: 106 45.9%

• Total voters

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Its what I'd expected.

IMO a much better update than last year's 4S. I wasn't so sure of the new design at first, but seeing the pictures of it in high res on the Apple site, I've got to say I really like it.

I was a little surprised to see the A6 chip, a lot of sites mentioned of a tweaked A5. I expected a higher mega pixel camera, but Apple haven't went down the route of increasing the mega pixel and ignoring one of the most important factors in image quality, and that is the lens. I was always very impressed with the picture quality on the 4S anyway.

I'd be interested to hear if the iPhone 5 will have the rumored Nano sim card. On the live blog I watched on The Verge, they was no mention of this.

ejb222

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
another thing I dont get is how is this screen "... the world's most advanced display and I couldn't be prouder of it." The Lumia 920 is clearly a better screen with a higher dpi, and 60mhz refresh rate...also can be used with gloves, or any other object really.
The i5 camera is not ground breaking either...but I'll wait until the photo comparisons come out between the heavy hitters for solid evidence. And no NFC was a big miss. The other thing that would have been killer for th i5 since it has a ton of music and instrument related apps would be a better set of recording mics. Now the Mikey wont work with this device. And the 920 also has the HAAC Rich Recording from the 808.

Why is it such a bad thing to want these things in a phone? You guys laugh that this phone will sell millions despite lacking what other phones provide, but why laugh when you could be asking for more. other OEMs provide more....Why can't Apple?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a strong feeling once people have this phone in their hands they'll change their tune about the "slightly stretched" comments. Just looking at the pictures of the frame, this thing is going to feel totally totally different compared to the iPhone 4/4S. Then take into consideration the weight change, the larger screen...you've got a new phone in your hand, not just a refresh.

Hell...people who are going gaagaa over the GSIII's screen need to remember that the size increase from the previous model was almost EXACTLY the same as the change from the 4S to the iPhone 5 (around .5") So they did it in a different way, you guys act like Samsung gave you 4 miles of space to use vs. the previous generation, when the reality is, the increase was no more ground breaking than the new iPhone's!

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Im just curious what people feel is "groundbreaking" about the Galaxy S III?

Maybe not groundbreaking but the screen is years ahead of anywhere apple will be the quad core is amazingly fast the freedom the device allows you is "groundbreaking" (if you come over from the apple side of things) my battery life is fantastic compared to my 4s i had. That's what I can think of right off the top of my head. I'm still learning I've only had this for a week or so. I did love my apple iphone but it along with the ios got st?le and boring for 'me', im not saying it's crap I'm just saying there's more out there to satisfy smartphone users and don't be afraid to make the switch. I still have my ipad 3 imac and apple TV 2 so I haven't disowned apple all together.

Tap'n 'Like A Boss'

independentvolume

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a strong feeling once people have this phone in their hands they'll change their tune about the "slightly stretched" comments. Just looking at the pictures of the frame, this thing is going to feel totally totally different compared to the iPhone 4/4S. Then take into consideration the weight change, the larger screen...you've got a new phone in your hand, not just a refresh.

Hell...people who are going gaagaa over the GSIII's screen need to remember that the size increase from the previous model was almost EXACTLY the same as the change from the 4S to the iPhone 5 (around .5") So they did it in a different way, you guys act like Samsung gave you 4 miles of space to use vs. the previous generation, when the reality is, the increase was no more ground breaking than the new iPhone's!

I hope so. I was hoping for 4.3 ratio but maybe my thoughts will change once I hold it. I will be coming from an iPhone 4 and I have it narrowed. Down to the galaxy's s 3, iPhone 5, and lumia 920. The lumia is definitely the frontrunner as of now. Gotta get them in hand first though.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe not groundbreaking but the screen is years ahead of anywhere apple will be the quad core is amazingly fast the freedom the device allows you is "groundbreaking" (if you come over from the apple side of things) my battery life is fantastic compared to my 4s i had. That's what I can think of right off the top of my head. I'm still learning I've only had this for a week or so. I did love my apple iphone but it along with the ios got st?le and boring for 'me', im not saying it's crap I'm just saying there's more out there to satisfy smartphone users and don't be afraid to make the switch. I still have my ipad 3 imac and apple TV 2 so I haven't disowned apple all together.

Tap'n 'Like A Boss'

Years ahead where? That's simple opinion...i could sit all day and say the iPhone 5 is decades ahead of anything Samsung sells, there's no factual truth to it at all. The A6 is quad core, so I guess im confused to your point there...the screen the iPhone 5 has is almost identically larger than the 4S as the GSIII's was to the GSII's. Battery life is in the same ballpark (though numbers on paper mean nothing until people have it in their hands).

I'm just trying to figure out what's so ground breaking about the GSIII vs. anything else out there...seems to me it's a matter of people preferring it personally, so automatically assuming its better (this filters over to the Apple side of the fence too many times).

doublebullout

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I think it's quite an achievement for Apple to downsize so many improved components, add LTE, and increase the screen size. This absolutely qualifies as innovation, and Apple deserves kudos for it. But I'm far more excited about the Lumia 920. That will be my next phone, not the iPhone 5.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
another thing I dont get is how is this screen "... the world's most advanced display and I couldn't be prouder of it." The Lumia 920 is clearly a better screen with a higher dpi, and 60mhz refresh rate...also can be used with gloves, or any other object really.
The i5 camera is not ground breaking either...but I'll wait until the photo comparisons come out between the heavy hitters for solid evidence. And no NFC was a big miss. The other thing that would have been killer for th i5 since it has a ton of music and instrument related apps would be a better set of recording mics. Now the Mikey wont work with this device. And the 920 also has the HAAC Rich Recording from the 808.

Why is it such a bad thing to want these things in a phone? You guys laugh that this phone will sell millions despite lacking what other phones provide, but why laugh when you could be asking for more. other OEMs provide more....Why can't Apple?

You could get a 12.1MP camera on a Sony Ericsson phone back in 2009...that was big noise at the time, but in the end, it meant nothing because nobody wanted to use the Sony phone.

Comparing stuff like that is a little redundant...Apple sells a phone that people not only want to use, but has features that keep it competitive (and in many cases, leading). I could wake up one day and decide that i want a phone that has a slot on the back to hold my USB cord, and damn if some company out there somewhere won't make a phone that does just that...when i realize that the newest iPhone model doesn't have that cord holder on the back, it's just silly for a person to sit there and go "Man, i'm really disappointed with the new iPhone, where's the cord holder? I can get that on blah blah blah blah blah...", so what? We can all make lists of things our phone does that the next one doesn't...little gimmicks here and there. Who F'n cares?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think they're referring to it's size. It's big enough to use as a shovel.

As hilariously true as this is...the size difference is still almost identical between the phones! It's like arguing that said shovel is better than the garden hoe for yard work when they are equally purposed and proportionately sized.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I think it has more to do with it only being longer. I think if they would have made it a little wider, not super wide, people would not be complaining as much. Plus with the sgs3 it also got a little wider so everything had more room not just length wise.

Roose00

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I also was hoping for a wider phone with the increase in height. I hardly ever use my 4s with one hand, and honestly if I try, its a freaking disaster lol

For me, its not the design of the phone I was really hoping to see Apple innovate with. I wanted to see some seriously cool OS stuff. not just turn by turn and facebook. THAT is where I was let down and where Android perhaps is innovating. The OS. Not the physical device. For good sake, give us some toggles and a new autocorrect!!!!!!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it has more to do with it only being longer. I think if they would have made it a little wider, not super wide, people would not be complaining as much. Plus with the sgs3 it also got a little wider so everything had more room not just length wise.

Unorthodox progress...it's been Apple's middle name since birth. If they would have made it wider and longer, you'd have a phone people would start comparing to the phones in the past that had already done the 4" screen "Blah blah blah...this phone had a 4" screen 3 years ago, Apple just copy everything they see!", so when Apple releases a phone that is bigger, but not by common resizing practices, some how this becomes ANOTHER issue! lol...I'm beginning to wonder if they had just released the 7" iPad Mini and called it the iPhone 5 if people would have been happier. :D

rustymini

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I bit disappointed I was hoping for a little bigger screen. Don't get me wrong I'll eventually get one next year or wait for the next iPhone. I like the white 64g. :D

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Totally let down by the new phone.
There's no more wow factor, or nothing exciting to expect anymore.

I was expecting a surprise, something which made the audience go WOW.

iPhone 1 was WOW in itself
iPhone 3G was WOW in 3G
3GS and 4S are just extended version of the same iteration, but still deserves to be WOW'd.
3GS was WOW in video recording, and voice control.
iPhone 4 was the biggest WOW! Double the resolution, and an iconic design!
4S was WOW in Siri.

But WOW was not to be this year.
iPhone 5 was wow in nothing...
iPhone 5 is just my 4S plus 176 more pixels on the vertical, and LTE...
And seriously, STILL 1 GB of RAM?

Where's the innovation gone?

Last edited:

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Years ahead where? That's simple opinion...i could sit all day and say the iPhone 5 is decades ahead of anything Samsung sells, there's no factual truth to it at all. The A6 is quad core, so I guess im confused to your point there...the screen the iPhone 5 has is almost identically larger than the 4S as the GSIII's was to the GSII's. Battery life is in the same ballpark (though numbers on paper mean nothing until people have it in their hands).

I'm just trying to figure out what's so ground breaking about the GSIII vs. anything else out there...seems to me it's a matter of people preferring it personally, so automatically assuming its better (this filters over to the Apple side of the fence too many times).

Years ahead on the screen by that I mean apple won't make a iphone with a screen the size of the S3 for years. How long has it taken them to make it even slightly larger?? I've had a 4s from release day and the worst thing about it was the battery, on my S3 the battery has been great from day 1. Let's just agree to disagree:D
On that note if your happy with the iphone 5 then Yay!! I for one and super happy with what apple did because it makes my choice to switch to the s3 a couple weeks ago All that much sweeter.
Tap'n 'Like A Boss'

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73