Purchase IPhone 5 from Apple Store or Verizon?

Stan0607

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I am going to purchase 2 IPhone 5 's when they become available on September 12. We are both eligible for every 2 discounts. Is it better overall ordering from carrier or Apple online store? I am aware that Apple is able to access my Verizon account info about upgrade eligibility. Are there any advantages either way? I am inclined to go Apple online store, because of good experience with IPad 3rd gen purchase. This will be our First IPhone purchase.

Last edited:

fubaracing7374

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I would say Apple because you'll have it when everyone else does. I wouldn't want to get stuck waiting for Verizon and then having something happen where you don't get it on time.

Reactions: Stan0607

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Definitely Apple. As mentioned you'll get your phone before those ordering through Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
It shouldn't make a difference if you preorder via apple or Verizon. I've preordered from both AT&T and Apple several times. Both sources arrived on the same day.

If history repeats, all servers on preorder day will be hammered. Pick the source that actually let's you in!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought my iPhone 4S a week after it hit the stores and all of the carriers were sold out & back logged for 2 weeks. Best Buy stores were only catering to people who had already ordered, 2 of the 3 Apple stores in the Orlando area were sold out and the third one only had white iPhones 4S' (AT&T version only). Just before I decided to try another day, I called a nearby HHGregg store and they had plenty of Verizon brand iPhone 4S' available so I went there and purchased mine on the spot. There were no lines or anything. HHGregg caters only to Verizon in regard to mobile devices so keep them in mind when you make your decision.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Ordered from Apple for the 4 and 4S...first time we went to pick it up, last year we had it shipped. In both situations the process was easy and effortless...though i would highly suggest having it shipped over picking it up, unless you just enjoy standing in lines for hours for no reason.

sudbury78

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Have you in the past been able to order via Verizon??? I thought you could only go into the store. I have a gift card I want to use so online via Verizon would be awesome.

bhowatt

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Best buy is the place to go. For one simple reason. Black tie protection. No deductible. And the buy back program isn't too bad in itself. I won't buy anywhere else.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I meant preorder it. Of course I can get in line at Verizon. I was referring too a preorder through them

Oh of course i should have known that, right? lol...

At any rate, the only way to know when the carriers will start pre-orders is to ask them, and since the phone isn't even technically announced yet, you'll have to wait until the information is all over the internet anyways.

Check with Verizon though, i know sometimes the carriers don't allow gift cards (or issued "store credit" cards) to be used towards upcoming release phones (Verizon did that to me years before the iPhone came out when i tried to use a Verizon store credit towards buying a Palm Treo).

kfreeman_23

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Upgrade to Iphone 5! apple or verizon?

I am going to purchase 2 IPhone 5 's when they become available on September 12. We are both eligible for every 2 discounts. Is it better overall ordering from carrier or Apple online store? I am aware that Apple is able to access my Verizon account info about upgrade eligibility. Are there any advantages either way? I am inclined to go Apple online store, because of good experience with IPad 3rd gen purchase. This will be our First IPhone purchase.

I would say apple! i am also upgrade eligible as of 8/23/12. i spoke with vzw rep on the phone and twitter about keeping my unlimited when i upgrade they said i have to pay full retail price for my next device? thats why i am saying apple because they might let me keep it. if unlimited data is not on your mind then order @ apple any way because they ship it FedEx and they are really quick. I just don't like these greedy data plans or shared data!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I would say apple! i am also upgrade eligible as of 8/23/12. i spoke with vzw rep on the phone and twitter about keeping my unlimited when i upgrade they said i have to pay full retail price for my next device? thats why i am saying apple because they might let me keep it. if unlimited data is not on your mind then order @ apple any way because they ship it FedEx and they are really quick. I just don't like these greedy data plans or shared data!

The way Verizon works now is to not take one of their new Share plans, you have to pay full retail for the phone, and where you buy it is irrelevant.

Reactions: kfreeman_23

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
This is fine and dandy for people eligible to upgrade, but I wonder how it would work if people are paying full retail price for it....

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
This is fine and dandy for people eligible to upgrade, but I wonder how it would work if people are paying full retail price for it....

It will work exactly the same. I preordered the iphone 4 when it came to verizon full price and got it the same time as those who were upgrade eligible. As long as you pay the money they do not care whether you are upgrade eligible or not.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The way Verizon works now is to not take one of their new Share plans, you have to pay full retail for the phone, and where you buy it is irrelevant.

Or lose unlimited and go to a 2 for 30 plan only available if you are already a customer .. New customers get the share plans

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
If you are going on launch day (not a pre-order) then a Verizon store would be good. Apple stores have crazy long lines, I just don't get waiting in line for hours.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711