Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By poiman
  • 1 Post By poiman
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Safado1's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default iphone 5 screen size

    I'm very disappointed with the screen size on the new iPhone. I had hoped it would be bigger. I really don't want to give up iPhone for Samsung and android, but I have no option. My eyes are typical for someone in their 50's and simply can't read much while browsing. If I zoom I get one small part of the page. Apparently Apple still values compact size over functionality while I can't. Bye iPhone!
  2. #2  
    Craig's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,383 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Safado1 View Post
    I'm very disappointed with the screen size on the new iPhone. I had hoped it would be bigger. I really don't want to give up iPhone for Samsung and android, but I have no option. My eyes are typical for someone in their 50's and simply can't read much while browsing. If I zoom I get one small part of the page. Apparently Apple still values compact size over functionality while I can't. Bye iPhone!
    Wonderful thing choices... so many options, something for everyone. What a great world we live in with so many fun gadgets in all shapes and sizes to choose from. I can't personally see getting a bigger screen as I still want a phone, not a pocket tablet, but that is why there are so many choices. Hope you find the idea phone.
  3. #3  
    kilcher's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    376 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Safado1 View Post
    I'm very disappointed with the screen size on the new iPhone. I had hoped it would be bigger. I really don't want to give up iPhone for Samsung and android, but I have no option. My eyes are typical for someone in their 50's and simply can't read much while browsing. If I zoom I get one small part of the page. Apparently Apple still values compact size over functionality while I can't. Bye iPhone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Safado1 View Post
    I believe everything I read and I'm very disappointed with the rumored screen size on the new iPhone.
    Fixed........
  4. #4  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Safado1 View Post
    I'm very disappointed with the screen size on the new iPhone. I had hoped it would be bigger. I really don't want to give up iPhone for Samsung and android, but I have no option. My eyes are typical for someone in their 50's and simply can't read much while browsing. If I zoom I get one small part of the page. Apparently Apple still values compact size over functionality while I can't. Bye iPhone!
    Perhaps it's time for some lasik surgery instead of a new phone.

    To be honest, i find these kind's of assessments a bit humorous, because the difference in size between the PROPOSED new iPhone screen and phones like the Galaxy S III typically would not be enough to make text substantially easier to read...then again, you may be in the market for something like the Galaxy Note, which is basically a mini-Tablet, and in that case, good luck to you, enjoy that thing on your belt or in your pocket, lol.

    To speak on the age relevance though, my mom is in her late 50's and has no issues with the screen on her iPhone 4.
  5. #5  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,003 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Perhaps it's time for some lasik surgery instead of a new phone.

    To be honest, i find these kind's of assessments a bit humorous, because the difference in size between the PROPOSED new iPhone screen and phones like the Galaxy S III typically would not be enough to make text substantially easier to read...then again, you may be in the market for something like the Galaxy Note, which is basically a mini-Tablet, and in that case, good luck to you, enjoy that thing on your belt or in your pocket, lol.

    To speak on the age relevance though, my mom is in her late 50's and has no issues with the screen on her iPhone 4.
    I know a few people with the note and it fits easily in pockets unless you wear skinny jeans which in that case get some new jeans. Plus to go with the OP the text is noticeably smaller on my iPhone compared to my sgs3.
  6. #6  
    jfrebel's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

    Default

    screen size alone isn't enough to get me to switch since I'm invested in apple, (apps, boks, music, etc) and have grown comfortable with their OS.

    but its a legitimate complaint, if the rumors turn out to be true.

    I can't read the microscopic webpages without zooming in.

    I have bad eyes, and I don't wear hipster skinny jeans either. an iphone with a galaxy S III screen would make me a very happy camper. I could keep the OS I love, and it wouldn't be such a pain to read the print.

    for things like reading app reviews on the app store I have to resort to apples zooming that apple offers as part of the accessibility features. to move around the screen scrolling back and forth and up and down requires dragging 3 fingers on the screen.

    its really annoying.

    I really hope the rumors are false, perhaps a decoy released by apple to distract folks from revealing the real iphone.

    assuming it is the real iphone it makes me wonder how apple expects to compete with folks like samsung.

    There are many geek features normal people won't care about or even understand.

    screen size is something even grandma can instantly notice.

    Hey here's a phone with a big screen, its easy for me to see. and here's another with a puny screen with microscopic print.

    I don't think iphones sell well because people like the tiny screens. I think it sells well because of its rock solid OS, and apples superb customer service.

    I think if apple made a larger screen (both wider and taller), they could utterly take over the market.

    just my humble opinion.

    I would like to hear from anybody who might have an idea what apple is thinking, and why they may not be wanting to make larger screens, even though many want one and all their competitors are offering it.
  7. #7  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,003 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfrebel View Post
    screen size alone isn't enough to get me to switch since I'm invested in apple, (apps, boks, music, etc) and have grown comfortable with their OS.

    but its a legitimate complaint, if the rumors turn out to be true.

    I can't read the microscopic webpages without zooming in.

    I have bad eyes, and I don't wear hipster skinny jeans either. an iphone with a galaxy S III screen would make me a very happy camper. I could keep the OS I love, and it wouldn't be such a pain to read the print.

    for things like reading app reviews on the app store I have to resort to apples zooming that apple offers as part of the accessibility features. to move around the screen scrolling back and forth and up and down requires dragging 3 fingers on the screen.

    its really annoying.

    I really hope the rumors are false, perhaps a decoy released by apple to distract folks from revealing the real iphone.

    assuming it is the real iphone it makes me wonder how apple expects to compete with folks like samsung.

    There are many geek features normal people won't care about or even understand.

    screen size is something even grandma can instantly notice.

    Hey here's a phone with a big screen, its easy for me to see. and here's another with a puny screen with microscopic print.

    I don't think iphones sell well because people like the tiny screens. I think it sells well because of its rock solid OS, and apples superb customer service.

    I think if apple made a larger screen (both wider and taller), they could utterly take over the market.

    just my humble opinion.

    I would like to hear from anybody who might have an idea what apple is thinking, and why they may not be wanting to make larger screens, even though many want one and all their competitors are offering it.
    I think the only reason they don't make it wider if this design turns out to be true is because everyone would complain about apps needing to be fixed for a whole new resolution and not just more pixels length wise. I think its a mistake on apples part because they could figure out how to get all apps to work with the new resolution. Who knows maybe someday they will.
  8. #8  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    I think the only reason they don't make it wider if this design turns out to be true is because everyone would complain about apps needing to be fixed for a whole new resolution and not just more pixels length wise. I think its a mistake on apples part because they could figure out how to get all apps to work with the new resolution. Who knows maybe someday they will.
    That happened for so long when TV's moved to the 16:9 widescreen format from 4:8. For years and years people were not satisfied with their beloved TV shows and movies that were not formatted correctly and were stretched on the new TVs (especially HD sets). I hope Apple doesn't get stuck on that issue because people have to move with technology...apps that don't take up the whole screen because they are old and not formatted for a larger screen will be phased out over time with apps that replace them, and with the way these tech toys move on the market, people need to expect these kind of movements in very short periods of time now...
  9. #9  
    jfrebel's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

    Default

    Even if this rumored iphone comes true, apps would have to have to adapt to the new screen or have black lines below and above the app (or to the side if the phone is held in landscape)

    Therefore that point becomes moot as an explanation for why apple isn't making a screen that is wider as well as taller so as to be easier to read.

    apple could have simply made the phone bigger at the same aspect ratio. sure less pixel density but unless you're a rare person with perfect vision, you wouldn't notice the difference.

    but apple could have kept the retina display if it wanted, and apps would have to adapt. as they're going to have to anyway if this rumored phone is legit.
    Last edited by jfrebel; 08-12-2012 at 11:55 PM.
  10. #10  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,003 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfrebel View Post
    Even if this rumored iphone comes true, apps would have to have to adapt to the new screen or have black lines below and above the app (or to the side if the phone is held in landscape)

    Therefore that point becomes moot as an explanation for why apple isn't making a screen that is wider as well as taller so as to be easier to read.

    apple could have simply made the phone bigger at the same aspect ratio. sure less pixel density but unless you're a rare person with perfect vision, you wouldn't notice the difference.

    but apple could have kept the retina display if it wanted, and apps would have to adapt. as they're going to have to anyway if this rumored phone is legit.
    Actually it would be a lot easier for devs to simply add in making the app scale an extra 176 pixels long than adding both length and width. And they need to keep "retina" for marketing with all the HD screens on android and upcoming wp and potentially BlackBerry devices.
  11. #11  
    Shooter03's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    486 Posts
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Safado1 View Post
    I'm very disappointed with the screen size on the new iPhone. I had hoped it would be bigger. I really don't want to give up iPhone for Samsung and android, but I have no option. My eyes are typical for someone in their 50's and simply can't read much while browsing. If I zoom I get one small part of the page. Apparently Apple still values compact size over functionality while I can't. Bye iPhone!

    Do you know something the rest of us don't??? cause last i checked Apple hadn't announced a new iPhone let alone given all the specs out. post's like this are just a joke, wait until the new iPhone announced to start disliking it please.
  12. #12  
    GPAbsinthe's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts

    Default

    I guess everybody can believe what they want about the hypothetical elongated screen, and it's not like if it was never pointed out in the thousands of articles on the subject, but... just longer means : closer to the 16:9 ratio; keep the "fits in any hand" size; retain a very similar overall size for the device; makes the transition easy for devs. Methinks, the next iPhone could realistically be no more than an extra 5mm in lenght, whatever the leaks suggest, would Apple just cut in the front bezels a little. In any way, barely noticeable. Now, if Apple goes larger too, it means they want to achieve a 4.5 inches screen, and that will not happen IMHO. Of course, one may say, Apple never cared about the 16:9 ratio, so why start now? But a more obvious point would be : why go larger when just going longer seems to meet all requirements? I don't see Apple compromise the "fits in any hand" size just to AVOID getting closer to a 16:9 ratio... ?

    I don't mean that one has to like it... just like larger screens out there are not necessarily what people want... but I'm not sure exactly HOW an elongated screen would be a mistake or a sign of laziness or anything of that sort. It seems like a logical step to me.
  13. #13  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,003 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GPAbsinthe View Post
    I guess everybody can believe what they want about the hypothetical elongated screen, and it's not like if it was never pointed out in the thousands of articles on the subject, but... just longer means : closer to the 16:9 ratio; keep the "fits in any hand" size; retain a very similar overall size for the device; makes the transition easy for devs. Methinks, the next iPhone could realistically be no more than an extra 5mm in lenght, whatever the leaks suggest, would Apple just cut in the front bezels a little. In any way, barely noticeable. Now, if Apple goes larger too, it means they want to achieve a 4.5 inches screen, and that will not happen IMHO. Of course, one may say, Apple never cared about the 16:9 ratio, so why start now? But a more obvious point would be : why go larger when just going longer seems to meet all requirements? I don't see Apple compromise the "fits in any hand" size just to AVOID getting closer to a 16:9 ratio... ?

    I don't mean that one has to like it... just like larger screens out there are not necessarily what people want... but I'm not sure exactly HOW an elongated screen would be a mistake or a sign of laziness or anything of that sort. It seems like a logical step to me.
    There isn't really much room to cut into the bezels especially on bottom. Apple isn't gonna make one bezel thicker than the other.
  14. #14  
    GPAbsinthe's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    There isn't really much room to cut into the bezels especially on bottom. Apple isn't gonna make one bezel thicker than the other.
    True, true... That was always the main problem, counting the actual shape and size of the Home button... But there's still space left. I know we're talking mm, but a couple of mm is what it takes. 3mm for each bezel and there's only about 6-7mm to add to the whole device... I don't really mind if it's more about10mm, but I feel any way for it to be a little less than that is good!

    Edit : Still, to be honest, I think I prefer it to be a little more thinner, if I have to choose... 10 mm longer seems less of a problem on a slimer device.
    Last edited by GPAbsinthe; 08-13-2012 at 09:22 PM.
  15. #15  
    poiman's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GPAbsinthe View Post
    True, true... That was always the main problem, counting the actual shape and size of the Home button... But there's still space left. I know we're talking mm, but a couple of mm is what it takes. 3mm for each bezel and there's only about 6-7mm to add to the whole device... I don't really mind if it's more about10mm, but I feel any way for it to be a little less than that is good!

    Edit : Still, to be honest, I think I prefer it to be a little more thinner, if I have to choose... 10 mm longer seems less of a problem on a slimer device.
    The home button should be capacitive. That would save a lot of space for a bigger screen, like this:
  16. #16  
    GPAbsinthe's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poiman View Post
    The home button should be capacitive. That would save a lot of space for a bigger screen, like this:
    Yes, capacitive would allow more space. But I don't really think Apple will go that way... Not when the Home button (and others) is such an identity problem within other manufacturers, going capacitive and coming back to mecanical, mixing both, changing position, changing shape or size... Apple will just keep it like it always was, like they never even bothered to actually look at what the competition is doing.

    And again, fact is I'd take a longer device before I'd take any capacitive Home button...
  17. #17  
    poiman's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GPAbsinthe View Post
    Yes, capacitive would allow more space. But I don't really think Apple will go that way... Not when the Home button (and others) is such an identity problem within other manufacturers, going capacitive and coming back to mecanical, mixing both, changing position, changing shape or size... Apple will just keep it like it always was, like they never even bothered to actually look at what the competition is doing.

    And again, fact is I'd take a longer device before I'd take any capacitive Home button...
    Actually the circle shape home button doesn't look good or modern anymore. Also, the identity is in the icon of the botton and that would be mantained with a capacitive button.
    In conclusion, there is no need to make a bigger iPhone to have a larger screen when the current design has so much "wasted" space.
    redbeard likes this.
  18. #18  
    GPAbsinthe's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poiman View Post
    Actually the circle shape home button doesn't look good or modern anymore. Also, the identity is in the icon of the botton and that would be mantained with a capacitive button.
    In conclusion, there is no need to make a bigger iPhone to have a larger screen when the current design has so much "wasted" space.
    It may not look modern, but actually it does look good. It's part of the iPhone's identity. Hell, it's part of Apple's identity. BTW, that's what I meant about identity : not the icon that's defining the function, but the very design of the phone and its integration of control buttons. But on the logical side, you are right. In regard of what they could do to save space, you are right. I just don't expect it to happen with any of Apple's devices.
  19. #19  
    poiman's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GPAbsinthe View Post
    It may not look modern, but actually it does look good. It's part of the iPhone's identity. Hell, it's part of Apple's identity. BTW, that's what I meant about identity : not the icon that's defining the function, but the very design of the phone and its integration of control buttons. But on the logical side, you are right. In regard of what they could do to save space, you are right. I just don't expect it to happen with any of Apple's devices.
    Ok, for me the identity is about the fact that there is only one button (doesn't matter if it's physical or capacitive, as long as its symbol / icon is mantained), but it's ok if you consider that in order to keep the identity you have to keep the physical button.
    But tell me, if you are going to spend $600 or more on the next iphone do you preffer to spend them on "identity" or on "functionality"?
    redbeard likes this.
  20. #20  
    jfrebel's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

    Default

    The only reason I've heard for apples insisting on a puny screen is for ease of use by one hand. granted the phablets are hard to use one handed, but increasing the width by half an inch would still be easy to use one handed, but also easier to read.

    I wonder if apple themselves has given a reason for their tiny screens.

    I often wonder if Scott Forstall and his team all have 20/20 perfect vision, and don't realize how hard their phones are to read.

    I am absolutely in love with iOS, and find android confusing. I will be as happy as a kid on christmas morning if apple breaks out a big screened phone in september, and surprises us all.

    I'd they just make it wider, I'll probably still get it, and just have to keep carrying around my magnifying glass with my phone.
  21. #21  
    kevlar x's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

    Default

    If the rumoured screen size/shape turns out to be true I will be sorely disappointed and may well get an S3 or something else instead. I am a self confessed apple fan boy having owned all bar the first iPhone, 2 iPads, atv etc but what I've wanted for a long time is a larger screen. I play a lot of games and have found myself struggling with the small screen many times. I've been drooling over a friends S3 ever since it came out, the screen being way bigger and more useful for games. Just adding a centimetre or so to the length of the iPhones screen isn't going to help much, portrait games are just going to have more vertical space, nothing will be larger, sprites will be the same size. Landscape games like fps's and driving games will just have a wider viewing angle, things won't be bigger overall because the screen height will be the limiting factor. I really, really hope all the rumours and leaked images are false because I am invested heavily in the iOS ecosystem but if they are correct then I may well switch.
  22. #22  
    GPAbsinthe's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poiman View Post
    Ok, for me the identity is about the fact that there is only one button (doesn't matter if it's physical or capacitive, as long as its symbol / icon is mantained), but it's ok if you consider that in order to keep the identity you have to keep the physical button.
    But tell me, if you are going to spend $600 or more on the next iphone do you preffer to spend them on "identity" or on "functionality"?
    Sorry I had missed that...

    The identity factor for me is not in the button, nor its icon, but in it's preservation all along the way, whatever it is, and of course it's integration to the device as a whole and as a system - I know perhaps somewhere along the discussion it seemed I was focusing the identity solely on the home button, which I'd like to remind is not the case. It's merely part of it.

    Functionality is already there as it is. Identity I chose long ago when I decided I liked the iPhone. I'd keep my 4S for another year without a problem, if it wasn't that a 4 inches screen is appealing to me. That's my reason for switching when the next iPhone will be out. I'm not much into huge screens, but to me 4 inches is the magical number to keep the phone about the right size and allow a little more pleasurable experience in general. I'll take the LTE, faster processors, and everything because it comes along, not because I'm desperately needing it. Most of the new features I don't really care about, as my general use is not so much about that anyway - but I could say that about almost any new feature out there, whatever the phone. Give me a great cam, an iOS that works, a phone with good reception, Safari and all the basics, and of course the App Store, that's what I use. Don't turn this into me not knowing or fully understanding why I want to upgrade, I think I know what I'm doing...

    I was merely making a point about that button being part of Apple's iPhone - and the iPad and iPod Touch. They tried capacitive on the 3rd gen iPod and discarded it on the new one. It's over.
  23. #23  
    roll-tide's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    395 Posts
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Perhaps it's time for some lasik surgery instead of a new phone.

    To be honest, i find these kind's of assessments a bit humorous, because the difference in size between the PROPOSED new iPhone screen and phones like the Galaxy S III typically would not be enough to make text substantially easier to read...then again, you may be in the market for something like the Galaxy Note, which is basically a mini-Tablet, and in that case, good luck to you, enjoy that thing on your belt or in your pocket, lol.

    To speak on the age relevance though, my mom is in her late 50's and has no issues with the screen on her iPhone 4.
    You're right, it's not necessarily the screen size that makes it easier to read... It's the ability to re wrap text as you zoom in. I'm still not ruling out the iPhone 5, but it would make my decision MUCH easier if they would add this.
    I'm including two screen shots from my S3...This is one of the main reasons I left iPhone.

    sent using my Galaxy S3
  24. #24  
    BrensBlog25's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts

    Default

    I can't help but love how you say "I guess Apple still values compact size over functionality."
    I think you got "Functionality" and features a bit mixed up.

    Because when it comes to functionality, Apple has no competition. Apple is practically synonymous functionality, what they lack are the extra(and for the most part useless/unnecessary in my opinion) features.
  25. #25  
    spcurtis81's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

    Default

    I must say I'm not keen on the dimensions. I don't understand the reasoning for making a tall and narrow phone. I understand that in landscape mode the greater width will make website viewing better but I don't understand why the screen couldn't be increased in both directions.

Posting Permissions