iPhone 5 Notification LED

ght

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd love the notification light. My old Palm Pre had one, and it was great!! There are so many times that I have my phone in another room, and don't hear it ring, so I have no idea someone called without turning on my phone, which when I'm home, I don't just randomly turn on my phone throughout the day to check, but seeing a blinking light alerts me to the fact that there's a voice mail or text or that I missed a call, and it's really helpful. I downloaded an app to do that on my Android phone, which works all right, but it does drain my battery if I don't see it right away.

Agreed. I loved the LED on my Palm Pre+/Pre2/Pre3/TouchPad. And it could be customized to only blink for certain notifications. I'm constantly turning my iPhone on to see if I've missed something, which I'm sure hurts the battery life.

Reactions: redbeard

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I loved the LED on my Palm Pre+/Pre2/Pre3/TouchPad. And it could be customized to only blink for certain notifications. I'm constantly turning my iPhone on to see if I've missed something, which I'm sure hurts the battery life.

and you did not know this before you bought the device? weird.

This was clearly stated on the box...

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
This discussion is so ridicluous. It really is. :D I don't want one becasue it will make my phone ugly...LOL. Really?

Just in case anyone hasn't noticed the LED feature is already there. Apple did put it in to the new software but didn't change the hardware. Do you really think they addressed this want becasue they have no intent to keep it? DO you really think when the hardware changes in the fall the camera flash is going to be the LED? Really?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
This discussion is so ridicluous. It really is. :D I don't want one becasue it will make my phone ugly...LOL. Really?

Just in case anyone hasn't noticed the LED feature is already there. Apple did put it in to the new software but didn't change the hardware. Do you really think they addressed this want becasue they have no intent to keep it? DO you really think when the hardware changes in the fall the camera flash is going to be the LED? Really?

you sure ask a lot of questions

ght

May 29, 2012
Visit site
and you did not know this before you bought the device? weird.

I never said that. I did my research before buying an iPhone, because I knew there were going to be many things that I'd have to live without. Has it been worth it? Definitely. I really like my iPhone. And I would like it even more with an unobtrusive LED that could be enabled/disabled as the user sees fit.

Why is it such a crime on these forums to want something more?

Reactions: redbeard
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I never said that. I did my research before buying an iPhone, because I knew there were going to be many things that I'd have to live without. Has it been worth it? Definitely. I really like my iPhone. And I would like it even more with an unobtrusive LED that could be enabled/disabled as the user sees fit.

Because it seems to be a crime around here right up until the point where Apple does something to change or add then the fanboys jump on board like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. :D It will be there. Apple didn't configure it into their OS last year becasue they didn't see a demand for it. The company chose to not change it's hardware at that time but they did what they could. This time around it appears the hardware is changing. It will be there.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I get a kick out of the iOS forums. The discussions are so different here vs webOS or WindowsPhone. It seems some folks here have so bought into the "Apple knows what's best for me, and I will not question that" brainwashing that they can't even imagine wanting more options than what Apple gives them. (...)

I am a former webOS user (loved it) and a former Windows Phone user (meh), and I've dabbled in Android on my TouchPad (hell no), and I am impressed by how powerful a jailbroken iPhone is. It has surpassed my expectations a thousand-fold. (...)

Then each individual could choose how much they wanted to tweak their preferences. Mom's first iPhone? Stock, please. Not new to iPhone and looking for a little more customization? Choose Custom. Former Android/webOS user? Open, for sure. (...)

I agree with the message you're trying to pass, but the formulation is touchy... Fausty82 certainly replied to you accordingly, but I'd like to add a couple of things.

You're asking us to keep our minds open to individual preferences, but you sure are quick to label "some" iOS users' opinions and choices as "waiting for Apple to tell them what's best", and not as "preferences" many people might feel about the simplicity of the stock iOS.

To you, it SEEMS that iOS users at large are indeed stupid, because you firmly believe that a practiced iOS user would simply choose your "Custom" option, while the "ever so cool" Android/Web user would certainly choose "Open"? What, you think we don't know what "open source" means? :)

All of which in turn says a couple of things about you liking your jailbroken iPhone so much after all...

I've had a whole week with the GSIII. I also tried the Nexus for a couple of days. Demos. Also had to manage at some point the whole bunch of what smartphones we sell, for clueless customers in need of service. I appreciated the Nexus, and really liked my time with the GSIII. But they're not my thing. It's not my blind devotion for Apple that always gets me back on my iPhone quick. No, it's sort of my hand. Sometime during the day I'll realize that what I'm reaching for is not the one I'm demoing, no matter how much I can appreciate it. And then I'll get my iPhone out instead, and it feels in it's place and gets to do everything I need and looks exactly how I want it to and I like it - it's as simple as that! It is not necessary for me to agree with every aspect of what Apple would like its iPhone to be - and not to be. It's more that Apple is the company that releases the iPhone. :D And a great couple of other well thought products. That's what I like Apple for.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Because it seems to be a crime around here right up until the point where Apple does something to change or add then the fanboys jump on board like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. :D It will be there. Apple didn't configure it into their OS last year becasue they didn't see a demand for it. The company chose to not change it's hardware at that time but they did what they could. This time around it appears the hardware is changing. It will be there.

Nah...it wont.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

i did not say it was a crime nor did i insinuate that, so get over yourself. anyways, if you know anything about Apple then you will learn to lower your expectations, rather than set yourself up for disappointment

i remember last year around this time people threatening to leave the iPhone (4S) if it did not have an LED light. now to me, that is just as ridiculous as the people who do not want it or worse!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
i did not say it was a crime nor did i insinuate that, so get over yourself. anyways, if you know anything about Apple then you will learn to lower your expectations, rather than set yourself up for disappointment

i remember last year around this time people threatening to leave the iPhone (4S) if it did not have an LED light. now to me, that is just as ridiculous as the people who do not want it or worse!

And for the record, they're all still here and using the iOS devices... #emptythreats

ght

May 29, 2012
Visit site

Agreed. It's a nice to have, but certainly not (at least for me) in the realm of decision-driving features. If it was more important that all the other things you get with an iPhone, then Blackberry and webOS would be the dominant players. I imagine anyone who tried to leave iOS encountered Android and came crawling back quietly. (Their app store is bonkers. Why does a simple game require permission to read my call history and text messages in order to install it? F that.)

Get over myself? Sorry if I came across as arrogant. That was not my intent. Perhaps I am spoiled from having been a part of the webOS community for so long. There were rarely any judgmental posts in those forums. I knew I was going to encounter it, but I still found it amusing to witness the iOS crusaders first-hand. And just to be clear, I'm NOT lumping all iOS users (nor everyone on this forum) into the "Apple-can-do-no-wrong-crusader" camp. I have seen plenty of posts here from users like me who feel that choice is good.

I have certainly had to lower my expectations in my move to iPhone. I've seen the features list for iOS 5.2 (aka iOS 6) and my expectations were lowered further. I came into this fully understanding that Apple will give its customers what Apple thinks is best. I imagine it's a culture born from the success of the iPod and the MP3 revolution it sparked. Is it still the best of the rest? Yes it is, or I would not be here.

toppa

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I think  wants to bring led notification or they wouldn't have implemented the flash notification but if they decide to bring it don't jus place a dot make a small  logo instead

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Charging my phone as we speak. Would love the light to let me know when it's done instead of getting up and manually checking it. I don't like to go to bed without the phone fully charged just in case I need to leave all of a sudden.

brodys2

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
It's just a matter of preference. That's all. Some want the LED notification light, some don't. Personally, I prefer it as long as there is an option to disable it.

Just Me, D
(iPhone)

i agree i think that if one was implemented there would be a disable option... i personally love the idea.. kinda like the FaceTime light on mac... small and simple..and if disabled you wouldn't even notice it...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal