Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Will you upgrade?

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

200 75.19%
  • No

66 24.81%
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Default Are you upgrading to the next iPhone?

Yes or no? And if not, why?

Of course I am a "yes".
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 6.0

At this juncture based on all rumors to be correct I am going to say no...

Normally I always upgrade, and if not for the body and charging port change I would have upgraded.

The current iPhone 4S works perfectly for me 99% of the time, I have no real issues or complaints. I am beta testing iOS 6 (beta 3) and for the most part the changes I was hoping for are in the iOS and not the phone. iPhone 4S will run almost everything the same with the new iOS 6.0 full release.

The new iPhone (5) for lack of a final name, is not that different. OK, we have a few chip changes, faster, more memory, more storage and the Near Field stuff... all cool, but I can live w/o the Near Field for now, not sure if I would be using it anyway.

The killer for me, is the body change and the port change.

I have a LOT invested in cases, docks, charging cables, belt clips, Otter Box, etc.. to be tossing it all away to start over for changes that are not that huge.

So for me, unless I am missing something HUGE I can't justify the upgrade even though my GEEK status almost demands that I make the upgrade.

Only thing at this point that may change my mind is if my wife decides does does want my iPhone 4S I may do the 5 upgrade, or just get her a 4S when everyone dumps theirs to get the iPhoine 5.

So for now... Nope.. (sad to say)
    Craig S, Photographer
    ConciergePhoto | ModelMayhem | NWCreativeArts Magazine | "Be Remarkable!"
    Thanked by:
    offdahglass (09-18-2012)
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.

Global Posts
    21,244 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I cannot give a definite answer until I physically see the new iPhone as presented by Apple when it is introduced. Seriously, I'm satisfied with my 4S and if the new iPhone isn't a significant improvement according to "me" then I won't upgrade. If I like the improvements then yes, I will get it.

Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    Banned

Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Mais, Bien Sur!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,609 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

i will not have an upgrade available until December so ****
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

There needs to be more than just yes or no for the poll. As in maybe, I have to use it first hand first.
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah
    Thanked by:
    offdahglass (09-18-2012)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    iOS Version

yes I surely will have had all but the 3GS my wife is eagerly awaiting my 4s and my daughter is waiting for her 4 so yes I will upgrade
    blasted11 likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm still on the 4 so it's a yes from me.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

After having LTE on the new iPad, I must have that on the iPhone. Also with a bigger screen and I'm sure other hardware changes, it's a definate yes for me.
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I absolutely will upgrade. It's how our family ecosystem works. I'm the dad. I get the new one, using an upgrade from one of the 5 lines on our family plan. Mom gets mine, child #1 gets Mom's, and so on. We've been upgrading that way for about 4 years now... the only exception is if Mom wants a new phone... then she gets one whenever she wants it...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    the only exception is if Mom wants a new phone... then she gets one whenever she wants it...
    I am going to go ahead and issue you a prescription for two testicles. You let me know when you fill it. j/k

Last edited by ghostface147; 07-30-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah
    Thanked by:
    baseballbert (08-31-2012)
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    I am going to go ahead and issue you a prescription for two testicles. You let me know when you fill it. j/k

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    Premium1 and DaPhoneking like this.
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    I absolutely will upgrade. It's how our family ecosystem works. I'm the dad. I get the new one, using an upgrade from one of the 5 lines on our family plan. Mom gets mine, child #1 gets Mom's, and so on. We've been upgrading that way for about 4 years now... the only exception is if Mom wants a new phone... then she gets one whenever she wants it...
    As they say. Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk on iOS 5.1
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

I know I'll definetly get it, but I don't know when, as I haven't decided whether I want to get the New one on a contract for the first time or go with the factory unlocked version again when Apple releases.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,094 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    At this juncture based on all rumors to be correct I am going to say no...

Normally I always upgrade, and if not for the body and charging port change I would have upgraded.

The current iPhone 4S works perfectly for me 99% of the time, I have no real issues or complaints. I am beta testing iOS 6 (beta 3) and for the most part the changes I was hoping for are in the iOS and not the phone. iPhone 4S will run almost everything the same with the new iOS 6.0 full release.

The new iPhone (5) for lack of a final name, is not that different. OK, we have a few chip changes, faster, more memory, more storage and the Near Field stuff... all cool, but I can live w/o the Near Field for now, not sure if I would be using it anyway.

The killer for me, is the body change and the port change.

I have a LOT invested in cases, docks, charging cables, belt clips, Otter Box, etc.. to be tossing it all away to start over for changes that are not that huge.

So for me, unless I am missing something HUGE I can't justify the upgrade even though my GEEK status almost demands that I make the upgrade.

So for now... Nope.. (sad to say)
    I agree with alot of your points here Craig. I love my 4S as well & its runs great, plus i DON'T have an upgrade available either. And on top of that all, like you, i have alot invested in cases, cases, cases...oh and did i mention cases?!? LOL as well as charging cords-both home & car, and docks.

Also. iOS6 will be avail for the 4S with the few new added features - so that works for me if i decide to upgrade the iOS as well.

We ALL love to have a new device to dote on when its released of course, but i'll wait it out at this point

i am very excited to see when the new iPhone(5?) is release tho. I'm looking forward to see if Apple has gotten daring and changed the screen size or design of the phone.
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    I agree with alot of your points here Craig. I love my 4S as well & its runs great, plus i DON'T have an upgrade available either. And on top of that all, like you, i have alot invested in cases, cases, cases...oh and did i mention cases?!? LOL as well as charging cords-both home & car, and docks.

Also. iOS6 will be avail for the 4S with the few new added features - so that works for me if i decide to upgrade the iOS as well.

We ALL love to have a new device to dote on when its released of course, but i'll wait it out at this point

i am very excited to see when the new iPhone(5?) is release tho. I'm looking forward to see if Apple has gotten daring and changed the screen size or design of the phone.
    Pink I have found the perfect way for you to get the new iPhone and not lose out on those cases that you bought. With all of the cases that you have by now you could open up your own little case booth at the mall. If ya start selling them now you should have enough money from the sales to get the new iPhone on launch day.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,094 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    Pink I have found the perfect way for you to get the new iPhone and not lose out on those cases that you bought. With all of the cases that you have by now you could open up your own little case booth at the mall. If ya start selling them now you should have enough money from the sales to get the new iPhone on launch day.
    Rose, i LOVE this idea !! LOL!! now, if i could only make it happen

(i actually am looking to thin down my cases and sell a few LOL)

*drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Rose, i LOVE this idea !! LOL!! now, if i could only make it happen

(i actually am looking to thin down my cases and sell a few LOL)

I can see your booth now Pink, here it is:

iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by crackercraig View Post
    As they say. Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk on iOS 5.1

Experience has taught me the following conditions to that common fallacy.

1. An UNHAPPY wife guarantees an unhappy life.

2. A happy wife doesn't GUARANTEE a happy life. It merely makes a happy life possible. There are still many ways one can screw it up.

#justsaying
    Last edited by Fausty82; 07-30-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Yes I will, I skipped the 3gs got the 4,so this time I have skipped the 4s and will get the 5.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,094 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    I can see your booth now Pink, here it is:

LOL, nice Rose!! Idk if my kiosk would be that packed with cases tho! That pic is just case heaven right thuuuurrr
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    870 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6

Yes I am going to upgrade. Probably the only reason I am upgrading is that my iP4 Home button is totally dead. I am having to use a "virtual " Home button for now. I am not worried about all my accessories (cases). I have purposefully NOT bought anything in the last few months just to see what the iP5 looked like. Some of my Otterboxes are getting "long in the tooth" and starting to show their age! But I have certainly gotten my money worth from them though!

My only real problem is I have 5 iPhones in my house and they are all eligible to upgrade this Christmas! Although, everyone else's iP4 is still going strong and they are perfectly happy, including Momma, So we will see.
    JB iPhone 3G => 16G iPhone 4 iOS5, 16G iPad1 iOS5 => iP5 32Gig White, iPad4 32Gig Black

Also up and running on Twitter @AUDad

Also on Google+ if you are on there.

I'm a geek...so I will upgrade.

Just because it's there.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My girl gets me one every year for my birthday .....so yep, I'm upgrading.

Cheers
    Cheers
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm eligible for an upgrade so more than likely I will buy the new iPhone when the time comes.
    iPhone 6 - iPad Air - MacBook Pro 13" - ATV3

+ Romans 8:28 +
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast