Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 156
Like Tree66Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    ModeratorOMD's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    617 Posts
    Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

    Default I'd pay $2,000 for a new iPhone

    Apple should go up on the price of the next iPhone. Now that the iPhone 4S has saturated and can be found in places like Cricket and other low end carriers.
  2. #2  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,250 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,597 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default

    please pass that bong over here when you're done
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (08-26-2013), Heisenberg (07-14-2012), hondakorn (06-30-2012), iRebuildCredit (07-09-2012), JustMe'D (06-29-2012), kshen1 (07-11-2012), RichardC300 (07-17-2012), rosser (07-01-2012), Uselessbass (07-10-2012)
  3. #3  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    20,587 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Just because iPhones are sold at Walmart, Target, Cricket & other "low end" carriers, as you put it, why would Apple want to raise the price and risk losing customers to Android and Windows Mobile? It amazes me how some people are afraid of the term "low end / low budget" and Apple cashes in on that fear, too. For example, with the exception of storage space, there is absolutely no difference between the iPhone 4S 16, 32 & 64 GB models and yet, there are people out there who will go out of their way to not get the 16 Gig model simply because it is touted as the base / budget model. Having said that, is it your belief that the iPhone has been rendered cheap because it is now sold by "low end" carriers?


    Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
  4. #4  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    20,587 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    please pass that bong over here when you're done
    (laughing).....too funny.


    Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
  5. #5  
    Peligro911's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,813 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    please pass that bong over here when you're done
    Careful I think his stuff is laced you might sell your phone and get bb lmao

    Geez it's a phone not a MBP


    Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    ModeratorOMD's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    617 Posts
    Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Just because iPhones are sold at Walmart, Target, Cricket & other "low end" carriers, as you put it, why would Apple want to raise the price and risk losing customers to Android and Windows Mobile? It amazes me how some people are afraid of the term "low end / low budget" and Apple cashes in on that fear, too. For example, with the exception of storage space, there is absolutely no difference between the iPhone 4S 16, 32 & 64 GB models and yet, there are people out there who will go out of their way to not get the 16 Gig model simply because it is touted as the base / budget model. Having said that, is it your belief that the iPhone has been rendered cheap because it is now sold by "low end" carriers?


    Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    Naturally. When iPhone 4S went to Cricket, everyone was appalled. And I immediately thought it was a ploy. The company, Apple, "Handing it down" to the cheaper carriers, as an act of 'final hurrah', showing that this generation of iPhone is complete and ready to be used by younger and cheaper.

    The iPhone 5 will not be on Cricket. Look at the Macbooks. It's indistinguishable. You can simply change out one piece to upgrade and yet the price is higher. This is what Apple does. Uniformity. Brand recognition. It works. But now, Apple has been all about 'disconnecting from the past.'

    People will pay more for an iPhone.
  7. #7  
    Shooter03's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    489 Posts
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    please pass that bong over here when you're done
    Puff puff pass man.....
  8. #8  
    Shooter03's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    489 Posts
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    People will pay more for an iPhone.
    I will not pay more for a iPhone, considering I always buy outright here in Australia and paid $799 for the 16gb 4s there's no way in hell I'll pay more for the same amount of space just cause its a "new" iPhone.
  9. #9  
    Peligro911's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,813 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

    Default

    Why would apple care what carrier sells their device apple sells phones not service .. More carriers people can buy their product means more money for them


    Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    F34R likes this.
  10. #10  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    20,587 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    Naturally. When iPhone 4S went to Cricket, everyone was appalled.
    I wasn't & I didn't lose a wink of sleep over it either.
    And I immediately thought it was a ploy.
    Are you one of the people who buys Apple products for image purposes?
    The company, Apple, "Handing it down" to the cheaper carriers, as an act of 'final hurrah', showing that this generation of iPhone is complete and ready to be used by younger and cheaper.
    Even before the "low end" carriers started selling the iPhone, the younger crowd were already owning one. My 16 yr old daughter, for example, has had an iPhone since she was 14. Furthermore, did you not see the thread in this forum where people were saying that elementary kids even had iPhones?

    The iPhone 5 will not be on Cricket.
    You could be right.
    Look at the Macbooks. It's indistinguishable. You can simply change out one piece to upgrade and yet the price is higher. This is what Apple does. Uniformity. Brand recognition. It works. But now, Apple has been all about 'disconnecting from the past.'
    Company tactics, technology and customers all evolve.

    People will pay more for an iPhone.
    I will pay more for anything if I want it bad enough with an emphasis on "if", but that doesn't mean I will pay more for an iPhone simply because it's an iPhone and I know I'm not alone. Anyway, take care and have a great weekend.




    Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    Fausty82 and Sharma15 like this.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    ModeratorOMD's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    617 Posts
    Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

    Default

    The MacBooks are more expensive than they've ever been. People are buying. So I think IF not this time, definitely next time, we will see an iPhone that is more expensive than they've ever been. In Brazil, they already do.

    And they kind of have to if they want to please.
  12. #12  
    ghostface147's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,472 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,558 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

    Default

    Please who?
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah
  13. #13  
    cariduros's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.01

    Default

    I don't understand any of the op's posts. Might be using translation software.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (08-26-2013)
    Fausty82 and Chetan Takyar like this.
  14. #14  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    20,587 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    The MacBooks are more expensive than they've ever been. People are buying.
    Consumers control pricing, but heck, I doubt that's even taught anymore. Also, if people are still buying MacBooks and MacBook Pros then it is safe to assume that its price isn't extremely high. PCs are still the most widely used computers, however so there is something for everyone and every price range, and if they want a Mac bad enough they will fork over the money for it.
    So I think IF not this time, definitely next time, we will see an iPhone that is more expensive than they've ever been. In Brazil, they already do.
    You may be right. Time will tell, but let's say Apple does increase the price of the iPhone, then what? Consumers will either buy it or they won't. With the popularity of Android and the resurgence of Windows mobile, Apple would be risking a great deal by hiking the price on its smartphones unless, of course, the other manufacturers and carriers hike the price of other handset brands.

    And they kind of have to if they want to please.
    Why do they have to and who are they attempting to please by hiking the price?



    Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
  15. #15  
    Bias X's Avatar
    iPhone Pro

    Posts
    595 Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    The MacBooks are more expensive than they've ever been.
    MacBooks are the highest they have ever been......
    For the past 5 years.

    I bought my first MacBook pro for 2200 (high end 15") three years ago. Bought another one last year for 2200, same model. This year without retina display (which replaces the 17" model) is.... You guessed it 2200.
    Fausty82 and ChaosShadow like this.
  16. #16  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bias X View Post
    MacBooks are the highest they have ever been......
    For the past 5 years.

    I bought my first MacBook pro for 2200 (high end 15") three years ago. Bought another one last year for 2200, same model. This year without retina display (which replaces the 17" model) is.... You guessed it 2200.
    I totally agree. And Apple has supported this theory all along (as do most tech companies). Rarely do you pay less for the item. Of couse, over time, you will see a general reduction in costs until the product reaches its stable price point... manufacturing costs come down, economies of scale, etc... but generally, there is a relatively fixed price point. Year over year, you end up with more advanced feature set, maybe with a new design thrown in... but the cost remains relatively constant.

    Over the years, Apple has demonstrated this methodology with iPods, iPhones, iPads and their computers. Instead of reducing the price for an item, you get more memory, faster processor, higher res (retina) displays, etc.

    The only reason I could see anyone paying $2000 for an iPhone was because they were either (1) an *****, (2) desperate, or (3) shopping for a status symbol. I work too hard for my money, and for me, anything more than a modest increase in purchase price would place it out of reach for me - not because I could not afford it, but because the cost would be beyond reasonable, IMHO.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (06-30-2012)
  17. #17  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    Anyone who is willing to pay $2000 for an iPhone has absolutely no clue what other technology is out there. I wouldn't pay $2000 for any phone let alone the iPhone.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (08-26-2013)
    F34R, luqman24 and Chetan Takyar like this.
  18. #18  
    ghostface147's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,472 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,558 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

    Default

    The OP is more than welcome to buy my iPhone for 2K.
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    ModeratorOMD's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    617 Posts
    Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

    Default

    Apple has a way of getting people used to what seems to be hefty pricing. They could go higher and higher without people really noticing. You say you wouldn't buy it, they always say that in the beginning.

    But the funny thing is, is that in the long run, the device costs a bit more than 1,000 with what the hidden costs. The highest model, which may be more that 32GB, could bring it up to right around that price. $300 less and it's almost half the price.
  20. #20  
    Tanbam's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    190 Posts

    Default

    What hidden fees? I bought my one of my sons an iPhone 4 for his birthday a couple of months ago. Got it on sale at Best Buy for $49.99. He's got a data block on his line, so I don't pay for a data plan. His line only costs a bit more than $10 a month on my family plan. I used my wife's upgrade to buy his phone, so his line has no commitment. There were no "hidden" fees, at least in my case.

    OP is delusional. I get the impression that he is from somewhere other than the US (Brazil, based on an earlier post?) where an irrational feeling of superiority is achieved by owning and displaying property that costs more than what their neighbors can buy.

    That kind of behavior stems from having large groups of people living in the same area who all have virtually identical incomes and standards of living. The only way distinguish themselves and elevate their social status is to "decorate" their outward appearance with expensive items in the belief that their peers will envy them.

    Apple is not going to raise their prices simply to give a VERY small minority of people bragging rights. If the OP wants to have a more expensive iPhone so he can flash it around and make people jealous, he can go get his gold plated or something equally retarded.

    Me, I'd rather pay as little as I can for my toys so that I can use that money for other things.
    Fausty82 likes this.
  21. #21  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    20,587 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    [QUOTE=motoleo;1889000]Apple the customers, are willing to pay. Every product has a limit even to people who can easily afford it.
    You say you wouldn't buy it, they always say that in the beginning.
    I know for a fact that I wouldn't pay $2k for an iPhone or any other phone. I am thankful to have dabbled with various platforms and can easily use any one to suit my needs.

    But the funny thing is, is that in the long run, the device costs a bit more than 1,000 with what the hidden costs.
    Would you mind going into more details here
    The highest model, which may be more that 32GB, could bring it up to right around that price. $300 less and it's almost half the price.
    Let's be real for a moment. Let's say that Apple increases the price of the 16 gig iPhone to $2k. The question isn't "would you buy it?", but "do you have to buy it?" For me, the answer is "no, I do not have to buy it.". Why? Because there are other brands that I can utilize to satisfy my smartphone needs. I do not have to have a device that bears the Apple logo. Period!




    Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 06-30-2012 at 04:46 PM.
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    ModeratorOMD's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    617 Posts
    Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

    Default

    What hidden fees? Subsidized pricing of course. Most people don't see it because it's tied into the contract so they don't really look behind that initial $399 purchase. The real cost is higher. By 24 months, they will have made $1,000 to $3,400 off you. That's per customer. You don't notice. You just pay. And that's what you do. But trying buying an iPhone without the handcuffs and you have a price of around $899.99 for the 4S 64GB. Don't tell me that's not expensive.

    Now if you bought that phone, then ended up getting on a contract, think about how much that would cost you! Not everyone takes the cheap road, an iPhone with practically no service.

    And no, I'm as American as the sky is blue. Nothing foreign about me.

    I honestly don't see the harm going up from the price of 899.99. I'm just saying. I'd spend it. The main point is that people will take out their wallets with maybe a little whining, but they'll still pay.

    The only reason I mentioned Brazil, or wherever it was that the prices are sky high, is because it already works there, why not here? It's not like if the iPhone gets too expensive, you'll just say, "Oh, I'm not gonna buy it."
  23. #23  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    It's not like if the iPhone gets too expensive, you'll just say, "Oh, I'm not gonna buy it."
    You're wrong, and that is exactly what I would say.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    ccostel and Chetan Takyar like this.
  24. #24  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    You're wrong, and that is exactly what I would say.
    Yep. And a lot of potential customers would agree with us...

    What the OP fails to account for in his pricing post is that, yes, there is a "hidden" charge in the sense that the service provider company is recouping the subsidized price of the phone... but not all of the monthly bill to AT&T, VWZ or others is to recoup that subsidization... a large part of those fees are to cover the cost of voice, data and text services, as well. And even then, it's not all profit to the wireless provider... certainly they make money off of each service contract, but they also have costs to cover in providing those services.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  25. #25  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Yep. And a lot of potential customers would agree with us... .
    The OP does too. He's just blowing smoke. No one would pay $2000 for a iPhone no matter how good it is.


    Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions