Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Screen resolution

Hey y'all with all the retina displays apples dropping on the industry how many find it hard to believe that Apple will double the resolution on the iPhone 5 or 6 whatever it's called. They have proven they have the gpu to move the screens now the just have to put it in a better battery which is what I think has held this phone back te battery tech needed because if the A6 is ready and they use Sonys 12 megapixel sensor then this phone with that larger screen will be a beast
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by ray6712 View Post
    Hey y'all with all the retina displays apples dropping on the industry how many find it hard to believe that Apple will double the resolution on the iPhone 5 or 6 whatever it's called. They have proven they have the gpu to move the screens now the just have to put it in a better battery which is what I think has held this phone back te battery tech needed because if the A6 is ready and they use Sonys 12 megapixel sensor then this phone with that larger screen will be a beast
    Dream On ~ Steven Tyler

Apple will NOT double the resolution of the iPhone 4/4S for the new phone (iPhone 5?)... Never.Gonna.Happen. Isn't the iPhone retina display already the highest resolution phone on the market?
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina

Global Posts
    23,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Although the retina display is gorgeous, I can get along without it. As long as the screen is responsive, clear and allows me to zoom in and out when necessary, I'd be satisfied.

Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Dream On ~ Steven Tyler

Apple will NOT double the resolution of the iPhone 4/4S for the new phone (iPhone 5?)... Never.Gonna.Happen. Isn't the iPhone retina display already the highest resolution phone on the market?
    Nope. I know the HTC Rezound has a higher PPI resolution than the iPhone. How do I know? I own one.

Sent from somewhere
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    iOS Version

iPhone 3GS resolution doubled to retina quality 2 years ago this year iPad upgraded to retina resolution in fact it doubled. MacBook pro resolution highest of any laptop on market. Now if they are going to actually change the screen size why would they stick with a similar resolution when they could easily double it basically future proof their product lines and in a way destroy the competition going forward for the foreseeable future
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

iPhone 3GS resolution doubled to retina quality 2 years ago this year iPad upgraded to retina resolution in fact it doubled. MacBook pro resolution highest of any laptop on market. Now if they are going to actually change the screen size why would they stick with a similar resolution when they could easily double it basically future proof their product lines and in a way destroy the competition going forward for the foreseeable future
    They won't because (1) the iPhone is already retina display and (2) their developers would mutiny. The cost of the higher res screens would be prohibitive as well (if a 4", 1920 x 1024 even exists)... Apple did not raise the price of either the iPhone 4 or the iPad 3 when it added retina display... but the cost of the MacBook Pro with retina display went up $400 at the entry price point...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts

They won't because (1) the iPhone is already retina display and (2) their developers would mutiny. The cost of the higher res screens would be prohibitive as well (if a 4", 1920 x 1024 even exists)... Apple did not raise the price of either the iPhone 4 or the iPad 3 when it added retina display... but the cost of the MacBook Pro with retina display went up $400 at the entry price point...
    But with the new MacBook pro the also changed some other specs which could also be the reason why it was 400$ more,but I do agree with you they can't change the price point it's perfect where's it at IMO

Sent via tapatalk
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by knights66 View Post
    But with the new MacBook pro the also changed some other specs which could also be the reason why it was 400$ more,but I do agree with you they can't change the price point it's perfect where's it at IMO

Sent via tapatalk
    You are correct that other architectural changes were included in the MBP w retina display... but those changes (including the SSD) were also added to the MacBook Air line at their existing price point... so one could argue that those changes were coming anyway...
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The debs won't have a mutiny they will develop the apps because apples where's the money is. Also the cost of the screen will be driven down to apples liking just based on the shear volume that apple will purchase at so a double resolution iPhone is feasible at its current price point.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

The debs won't have a mutiny they will develop the apps because apples where's the money is. Also the cost of the screen will be driven down to apples liking just based on the shear volume that apple will purchase at so a double resolution iPhone is feasible at its current price point.
    Believe what you have to to get through the day… but remember where you heard this… it ain't happening for iPhone 5.
    Last edited by Fausty82; 06-15-2012 at 04:14 PM.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    5,212 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Dream On ~ Steven Tyler

While the iPhone's 3.5" retina display is the highest ppi today, it won't be for long. LG Display debuts five-inch Retina Display killer with 1080p HD resolution and 440ppi pixel density LG Display debuts five-inch Retina Display killer with 1080p HD resolution and 440ppi pixel density -- Engadget.
    2014 15" MacBook Pro, SuperDrive, AirPort Extreme, iPhone 4S (Verizon for Work) & iPhone 6 Plus 128GB (AT&T), iPad Air 2 128GB Space Gray (AT&T)
    iPhone Nanite

A screen with higher resolution than 300 ppi is a waste. A waste of battery and waste of manufacturing money. In the print world, 300 dpi (dots per inch) is the de facto standard for high resolution "can't-see-the-dots" print worthy material. Over 300 ppi ends up just being a meaningless spec that Android phones can throw around. Look at your iPhone 4 or 4S screen up close. It's insanely hard to find the pixels. Why waste battery on more pixels when you won't notice a difference?

Adding a higher resolution screen is ridiculously unneeded. And you're obviously high.
    Fausty82 likes this.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    iOS Version

So now I'm high bro really I mean it's just speculation no need for all that
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    iOS Version

And in the world of technology there is no such thing as overkill if they can do it and keep the power consumption in check then why not they want the highest resolution screen
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

And in the world of technology there is no such thing as overkill if they can do it and keep the power consumption in check then why not they want the highest resolution screen
    Because there's just no need for it. Save that power for other uses. Just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should".
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Which is true yet that's just not the way any company has or will ever do it because as long as they can sell it and have bragging rights and a valid selling point then why not do it I've never seen a commercial saying the products good enough well never improve it
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Every year apple Samsung and every other companies smartphone get better I haven't heard any of them say we won't do it because the current screen is good enough, my point is if they are going to enlarge the screen for the first time in 5 years then I'm thinking why not increase the HELL out of the resolution why were at it and get folks saying how pretty the screen is again because the entire phone is based off the screen
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Because again, there's no need for it. The current screen in the iphone is gorgeous, and you simply cannot see the pixels as it is right now. A 0.5" bump in screen size, doesn't call for a higher PPI. Waste of resources.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by NinoMH View Post
    Because again, there's no need for it. The current screen in the iphone is gorgeous, and you simply cannot see the pixels as it is right now. A 0.5" bump in screen size, doesn't call for a higher PPI. Waste of resources.
    and it will also drive up the cost of the device... which will either squeeze Apple's profit margin or raise the cost to the consumer (us).
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    iOS Version

and it will also drive up the cost of the device... which will either squeeze Apple's profit margin or raise the cost to the consumer (us).

Yet as i said before the cost will be driven out of the equation by Apple themselves they will order what close to 75 million of these screens in under a year maybe more and they know they will sell at least 75% of what they will order. Now if your a panel maker do you not meet their demands on pricing plus they now own a flash memory maker so that all but eliminates that cost, therefor the price of the handset remains. Listen what did they do quadruple the mac book pros resolution for what reason because they could now you could be right but if the resolution got doubled it would surely make it easier on the devs to configure the apps for it and if they do whose the competition now, nobody remember they didn't have to do it the first time they did it. Now they will have an even more valid reason to increase resolution to knock another home run out of the park as well as future proofing themselves in the resolution game for at least another 5 years. And with the A6 processor driving a new gpu they will have the horsepower as well as the battery savings its a win win for them
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

Im so tired of people making comments like that. I always find it funny to stop and think were will the devs go if they didnt have ios. Oh if apple changes the screen size then all the devs will leave or get angry blah blah blah. In terms of stability and reliability Apple is #1 hands down. If, wait no excuse me WHEN they change the screen size all the devs are going to moan a bit then they're going to have to buckle down and just work a bit harder end of story...

I'll be a monkeys uncle if in 2013 or beyond that im using a 3.5 inch screen. I love my iphone but not that much an i can certainly do without it.
    What are men without knowledge?
    What is knowledge without wisdom?
    What is wisdom without application?
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Vanti View Post
    I'll be a monkeys uncle if in 2013 or beyond that im using a 3.5 inch screen. I love my iphone but not that much an i can certainly do without it.
    The 3.5" screen size isn't the issue. The issue is whether or not Apple should increase the resolution of the screen to double what it currently is just because they can.

If there is no perceptible difference, and no real advantage for doing so, why go to the trouble, cost and overall grief? Someone suggest "bragging rights". Sorry, "bragging rights" are way down the list of reasons to do something in this business. It's about selling devices and making money. And doing anything to increase the cost merely for "bragging rights" is pointless.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    804 Global Posts

There is absolutely such a thing as overkill in the world of technology. If you don't believe that you're exactly the kind of consumer these companies thrive on, the kind that will buy in to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ray6712
    plus they now own a flash memory maker so that all but eliminates that cost, therefor the price of the handset remains
    Even if you own a company, it still costs you money to use their services...
    Last edited by pdelong; 06-16-2012 at 09:56 AM.
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by pdelong View Post
    There is absolutely such a thing as overkill in the world of technology. If you don't believe that you're exactly the kind of consumer these companies thrive on, the kind that will buy in to anything.

Even if you own a company, it still costs you money to use their services...

I hear you and your stand dead on but for the first time in the iPhones existence Apple has legitimate competition and the competition is pushing really high resolution screens, now Apple knows this and while they as a company usually doesn't make changes just for the sake of making them. Now they doubled the resolution of the Ipad a market they basically own everyone knows this they increased the resolution of the mbp not because the competition is killing them but because they could. Now the Iphone is this companies money maker if your going to blow the competition out of the water and keep your edge and its happening around the same time your making a change to your bread and butters screen size for the first time if they were ever going to change the pixel density on the Iphone it would be now
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    3,731 Global Posts

I would not want the resolution doubled with them going to a 4 inch screen the icons text etc would shrink and become almost unusable give me the same dpi on a 4 inch panel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast