How many people would get the Samsung GS3 if the next iPhone doesn't come out soon

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just got the galaxy and both OS's have their positives and negatives.

Right now I like the galaxy because of customization, removable battery, and memory card.

Via Tapatalk with Galaxy S3

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Never understood the dropping thing as an argument. I did not buy a Panasonic TV because it can fall ten stories without breaking a sweat... :D I mean, yes we have it at hand everyday, but it is obvious that ANY decent smartphone will not appreciate the fall. Sturdy will be a focus point when choosing a case, accordingly to the user's habit and needs. I let my barely 4 year old daughter play with my iPhone's camera on numerous occasions, and even she doesn't drop the thing. And she's not so the caring type! :p

GSIII is not a bad smartphone. I go against it a lot by pure principle. :) But what I still think it is missing is that polish Apple's got. Oh fine, the native layout might get boring to some, and yet fit perfectly for another. If not there's always jailbreaking. I don't see why it is such a burden that iPhone don't come feature loaded right ouf of the box, when it takes about 10 minutes JBing it. In my sense, their ways allow Apple to focus on integration, and it is as close to perfection as it can get. I think Apple is counting on that equilibrium jailbreak provides. I mean, they do make things hard for unlocking with their baseband protections and signing protocols, and I can understand where that pressure comes from... Nasty carriers wanting dominion over our bank accounts, a philosophy indeed close to Apple's ways. But jailbreaking always comes swiftly after a release is made, should it be new hardware/firmware or just firmware.

So I'm talking about Android devices needing to display their massively alive OS with the same kind of perfect integration and smooth looks, to really get my attention. Which they don't, I'm sorry. I don't doubt they can be customized to look better, though I saw a couple tweaked SII that did not grab me at all neither. There's something missing there, some subtle clumsiness. But if Android keeps on the same track, Apple may start to lose ground big time in a near-future market, and never regain it. Introducing a slightly bigger screen, and allow for at least some basic customization of looks and use, is due right now. I don't believe in enormous screens, but 4 inch is a very decent and proportionate screen for a phone, and at such size could stay a long time unchanged; could be achieved by adding some 5 mm width, and 10mm height, and go pretty much unnoticed. As to customization, it would be great if iPhone users could do a little more than "define" use and accept looks when setting up their devices.

Integration is the same reason why Android features are often called gimmicks, in my sense. There's something fidgety there. Like the "Smart stay" thing. In the ads, it looks so swift, so integrated, so human. In reality, the front camera scan your face every once in a while, which "while" you can set up. Thing is, it just will not dim instantly as you fall asleep like that guy with his daughter... and if you set up a shorter scan interval to get more response, because you so want to be like the ads show, well it may very well catch you all the more easily looking at that roaring sports car passing by at the wrong moment, and dim anyway. In all, it is smart, but a little gimmicky, and obvioulsy better in mediatic focus than actual user benefit. Without that so great feature, just setting up the dimmer at two minutes will do the trick, IMO. Humans largely fail to concentrate longer than that in most situations, and even less so when reading something off internet, so chances are you'll have changed app, received a text, started talking with someone, or staring dumbly in the air, in a 2 minutes delay, if not simply scrolled the screen to continue reading. And two minutes won't kill the battery if you do fall asleep. And really, with all those laptops and those tablets selling, who is using his phone to watch cute videos with his daughter at night? S'not a bad thing, Smart Stay, not something to prevent you buying the SIII, and it's got a cool innovative edge, but certainly it is mainly creating a need, not filling one - at least, not one that could not be filled with a banal dimmer set up. That said, Apple do also have certain gimmicks.

In short... I'm not considering going with Samsung, and I'm waiting for the next iPhone.

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Never understood the dropping thing as an argument. I did not buy a Panasonic TV because it can fall ten stories without breaking a sweat... :D I mean, yes we have it at hand everyday, but it is obvious that ANY decent smartphone will not appreciate the fall. Sturdy will be a focus point when choosing a case, accordingly to the user's habit and needs. I let my barely 4 year old daughter play with my iPhone's camera on numerous occasions, and even she doesn't drop the thing. And she's not so the caring type! :p

GSIII is not a bad smartphone. I go against it a lot by pure principle. :) But what I still think it is missing is that polish Apple's got. Oh fine, the native layout might get boring to some, and yet fit perfectly for another. If not there's always jailbreaking. I don't see why it is such a burden that iPhone don't come feature loaded right ouf of the box, when it takes about 10 minutes JBing it. In my sense, their ways allow Apple to focus on integration, and it is as close to perfection as it can get. I think Apple is counting on that equilibrium jailbreak provides. I mean, they do make things hard for unlocking with their baseband protections and signing protocols, and I can understand where that pressure comes from... Nasty carriers wanting dominion over our bank accounts, a philosophy indeed close to Apple's ways. But jailbreaking always comes swiftly after a release is made, should it be new hardware/firmware or just firmware.

So I'm talking about Android devices needing to display their massively alive OS with the same kind of perfect integration and smooth looks, to really get my attention. Which they don't, I'm sorry. I don't doubt they can be customized to look better, though I saw a couple tweaked SII that did not grab me at all neither. There's something missing there, some subtle clumsiness. But if Android keeps on the same track, Apple may start to lose ground big time in a near-future market, and never regain it. Introducing a slightly bigger screen, and allow for at least some basic customization of looks and use, is due right now. I don't believe in enormous screens, but 4 inch is a very decent and proportionate screen for a phone, and at such size could stay a long time unchanged; could be achieved by adding some 5 mm width, and 10mm height, and go pretty much unnoticed. As to customization, it would be great if iPhone users could do a little more than "define" use and accept looks when setting up their devices.

Integration is the same reason why Android features are often called gimmicks, in my sense. There's something fidgety there. Like the "Smart stay" thing. In the ads, it looks so swift, so integrated, so human. In reality, the front camera scan your face every once in a while, which "while" you can set up. Thing is, it just will not dim instantly as you fall asleep like that guy with his daughter... and if you set up a shorter scan interval to get more response, because you so want to be like the ads show, well it may very well catch you all the more easily looking at that roaring sports car passing by at the wrong moment, and dim anyway. In all, it is smart, but a little gimmicky, and obvioulsy better in mediatic focus than actual user benefit. Without that so great feature, just setting up the dimmer at two minutes will do the trick, IMO. Humans largely fail to concentrate longer than that in most situations, and even less so when reading something off internet, so chances are you'll have changed app, received a text, started talking with someone, or staring dumbly in the air, in a 2 minutes delay, if not simply scrolled the screen to continue reading. And two minutes won't kill the battery if you do fall asleep. And really, with all those laptops and those tablets selling, who is using his phone to watch cute videos with his daughter at night? S'not a bad thing, Smart Stay, not something to prevent you buying the SIII, and it's got a cool innovative edge, but certainly it is mainly creating a need, not filling one - at least, not one that could not be filled with a banal dimmer set up. That said, Apple do also have certain gimmicks.

In short... I'm not considering going with Samsung, and I'm waiting for the next iPhone.

You would have been jumped if you posted that in a android forum lol.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S

Reactions: nite732

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
As it gets closer to the Fall, I have trouble believing Apple is content with letting Android run away with the ball, Jobs said he wanted to kill Android, there has to be more to iOS6, and something huge coming for the iPhone 5, a lot more than a dumb stretched candy bar screen, and faster download speeds. If there isn't, I don't know what to say, other than I actually desire the first phone to come stock with Jellybean as bad as I wanted my iPhone 4, I'm tired of using an OS designed so the dumbest bastard on Earth can use it, how smart is it when it's so dumbed down?

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
how smart is it when it's so dumbed down?

It is "smart" enough to get everyone to buy it and feel comfortable using it. It is the reason newspapers are written at a second grade level. If you want to reach the critical mass of people, it has to be universally understood and usable. That is the "smart" in Apple's scheme.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It is "smart" enough to get everyone to buy it and feel comfortable using it. It is the reason newspapers are written at a second grade level. If you want to reach the critical mass of people, it has to be universally understood and usable. That is the "smart" in Apple's scheme.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

True, a lot of people just want to pick up a phone and use it without having to search for things or even read a manual about the phone. The iPhone was meant for these type of people. In all fairness, though, I think Android has changed a lot, especially now with Jellybean. This is the easiest version of Android that I've used.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
True, a lot of people just want to pick up a phone and use it without having to search for things or even read a manual about the phone. The iPhone was meant for these type of people. In all fairness, though, I think Android has changed a lot, especially now with Jellybean. This is the easiest version of Android that I've used.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

I think Google is looking to expand far beyond Apple. I believe that is why they are looking to make their products less techy and more user friendly. Once they are able to control the hardware side and have full control over the Android experience, then they can truly dominate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cckgz4

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Imo, the Asian markets have really did a good job with miui and the other forms if it. It simplified the os and made it less overwhelming. I'd take a Meizu MX over any other current offering at the moment

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
A lot of you people seriously make me laugh. I have had every iPhone since the first and during that time I've also had the OG Droid, the Incredible, the Evo and several other Android devices. I think that I can speak from the side of the true gadget/tech lover who is no fanboy. I see people complaining and saying that they will take back their Apple products because Apple wants to be paid for what is being stolen from them. Fine! Go! Nobody that I can think of cares! LOL! One day if you have the brains to create anything useful I hope that it's stolen and when it is I'll expect you to shut up and take it because you have made it clear that going to court isn't "cool". I can appreciate the GS3 for the beastly beauty that it is but I'm waiting to see what Apple has up its sleeve for the next iPhone before I buy anything else. Of course the Samsung phone is outselling the iPhone. It's new. And anybody with a brain is waiting to get the new iPhone so iPhones will be in a slump until it arrives. Use your brains. Articles that talk about things like how the GS3 is beating the iPhone are link bait. They give small minds a place to argue and laugh for their 3 months or less of victory that they get every year while people wait for the next iPhone. We see the pause and slump in iPhone purchases every year when it's almost time to get the new iPhone. Why is this news every year?

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd consider it if my contract was up. I'm torn. I like my iPhone but I've only come to love it once it became jailbroken. That doesn't seem right.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
...I can appreciate the GS3 for the beastly beauty that it is but I'm waiting to see what Apple has up its sleeve for the next iPhone before I buy anything else. Of course the Samsung phone is outselling the iPhone. It's new. ...

Thank you for saying that. Did come across the comment about GSIII sales at a couple of place, not a fair comparison entirely...

Samsung GSIII : About 6,5 millions / one month sales estimate

Apple 4S : More than 4 millions / 3 first days...

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for saying that. Did come across the comment about GSIII sales at a couple of place, not a fair comparison entirely...

Samsung GSIII : About 6,5 millions / one month sales estimate

Apple 4S : More than 4 millions / 3 first days...

Since when did sales numbers do anything for the consumer? Do you walk around with your iPhone and point out to Android users that more people bought a phone just like yours??

McDonald's sells a lot of food, does that mean they have the best food out there?

Do you only shop at Wal-Mart?

I could care less what the latest trends are, I buy what's best for me, and right now in the smartphone world, it isn't the iPhone, unless Apple brings out something revolutionary in the Fall, I'll be buying something that has Android 4.1. You guys can brag about the sales numbers, I'll be using a device with a superior, faster, and far more efficient user experience.. I want that to be a product from Apple, really really badly, but it seems Apple is only concerned with selling a device that appeals to the dumb masses, it's been 5 years now, I think even the simpletons out there have figured out how to use their iPhones. I believe smartphones should always be getting smarter, they should push the envelope, not stagnate and rely on past success and innovation. I see this ethic in the competition, it seems like everybody else is trying to kill the iPhone, I've yet to see any evidence of what Steve Jobs once said..

Reactions: osensnolf

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Imo, the Asian markets have really did a good job with miui and the other forms if it. It simplified the os and made it less overwhelming. I'd take a Meizu MX over any other current offering at the moment

Is that the phone with the crazy OS that looks like something out of a movie? Or am I thinking of something else??

agentmobile

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Truth

Just want to let anyone know, whoever is on the fence about choosing between the S3 and the iPhone.
Recently I bought the S3 i switched from the iPhone 4s to it and at first i was really happy, i was excited about 4G capabilities (even tho sprint dosent have it yet..lol) and i was excited about customization ....and im sure there were other things i was happy about, Within ONE day i missed Siri. I literally missed every way the iPhone worked, and then what do you know two days later my S3 starts freezing, lagging, and im getting pissed because i had 4 different fake Siri apps that sucked. Maybe you guys dont use siri or whatever but i love that feature i am always in the car on the move and it comes in handy, she always gets it right too. Now lets get to the final straw (for me) with the S3. Albeit an awesome phone, the battery SUCKS! I love how EVERYONE on the net brags about how much bigger the S3 battery is compared to the iPhone, well to me that doesn't mean anything because it literally dies in HALF the amount of time that it takes for the iPhone to die, i looked at my battery usage on the S3 and what do you know the damn Super AMOLED screen was using 56% of my battery lol. That is what really pissed me off. Im so stupid for making an impulsive decision like that and buying the S3 just because I thought it was better than the iPhone. Yes people, ON PAPER the S3 is better. It does WAY more. More memory. More customization. But, from experience, It runs no where close to as well as iOS. Im not bashing Android, this is all MY personal preference. It may be different for you. But im just trying to reach out to the people on the fence about upgrading...THE GRASS ISNT ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE. Even though im in an iPhone forum ill probably get bashed for saying this but before anyone says something remember that this is MY opinion because I have owned BOTH phones and IMO the iPhone is the better of the two it runs way better, and its faster at operating. The samsung has more stats, does evereything the iPhone does x3 , but if you own both phones you will notice what im talking about if you are into iPhones, cause no matter what, it could be 10G capable phone with two screens, but it still aint an iPhone :D

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
UPDATE

Leo Laporte had it right on his Sunday show.

In the OS war between Windows vs. Apple, Windows was the stale OS and Apple was the cool thing. That role has changed. Apple is now in Windows seat and Android is in Apple's seat.

There is absolutely no reason that Android should not have a better system. The problem is that the OS is on too many different types of products but as a developer, we like that those "other products" are still using the same OS so that we only have to focus our resources on Apple and Android.

Of course no one knows, but as of now, what does iPhone 5 have going for it that we will not see in the GS3 or other phones? Maps? A Siri that works 60% of the time instead of one that works 50%? iCloud has been a disappointment but I'll continue using it since I have an established calendar and email account.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox