iPhone 4 inch screen

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm reaching here but I believe the new iPhone will feature a 4 inch screen with double the current phones resolution while retaining its 3:2 aspect, my reasoning for this is simple. Since the intro of the iPad Apple has always supported 3 resolutions for ios, and I'm thinking the 3GS won't be supported by ios 6. Thus Apple could keep its 3 different resolution model it currently has and the same aspect ratio while all current devices that can run ios 6 will run retina anyway. I see them doubling the current retina resolution to 1920*1280 and in a way future proofing their products for a while in terms of resolution. No other product on the market would have a better screen. They would have a great marketing strategy it would be a larger screen we'd all be happy, and it will probably be thinner and about the exact same dimensions.

I have read to many reports about Apple working with Sony and Hitachi as well as Toshiba on this as well as investing over a billion into the tech IGZO tech resulting in lower power cunsumption and better screen response time. Now we know they have the money and resources to pull it off now let's just see if they can pull it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
That just introduces display fragmentation. 320x480, 1024x768, 640x960, 2048x1536 and then whatever display the new iPhone may have.......

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
While what you say sounds very interesting and if they could pack that many pixels into a 4 inch display I'm sold sight unseen. But I don't think they will double the resolution I would think it would be more realistic to see a 960?1440 display. But I really hope your right

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes but the fragmentation you speak of In Apple already exist. They already design IOS around the specific device it's going on if they do this now and just introduce a staggering resolution in as little as 3 years the could eliminate almost all the fragmented versions of ios because all would be retina and all would be above 1080p resolution. and if any company could pull this off it would be apple, and I got the aspect ratio wrong for the phone but you guys get what I'm saying. They haven't waited 2 years to develope the phone to just release anything and these display makers will produce a display for apple because of the loads of cash they would get for it over the next 2 years would be staggering

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I mean think about it the first iPhone they doubled the resolution to the current status the iPad the doubled the resolution to its current status I don't think it would be impossible to do it again. I almost expect it

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I mean think about it the first iPhone they doubled the resolution to the current status the iPad the doubled the resolution to its current status I don't think it would be impossible to do it again. I almost expect it

It isn't impossible at all, just people feel the dev's will not want to rework their apps for the different resolution, but the fact remains they aren't going to miss out on the opportunity to make money so they will adjust.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Sounds good but why stop at a 4" screen then? It'd still be considered the smallest flagship phone. If they're going to go to all the trouble of doubling the res again, you'd think they would make the size leap significant. To be honest, i doubt most would know a 4" screen from the present one.

That said, most i talk to are just ready for something "different." Not necessarily bigger. Just a different design so that it doesn't look like the 4/4S. Don't ask me why..after all, they'll shove it in a cheap plastic case with only the screen visible. That's just how it is..

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
it will be a different design but I doubt it will be plastic I mean it could be but I'm betting on a unibody made of say Kevlar or titanium from apple just because nobody else ha it and the reason they would probably go with a 4 inch screen is keeps battery in check and it's not to big that it requires 2 hand use

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
now hopefully they will double the resolution and they will have an instant smash hit on their hands especially if they make it sexy like they always do

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed they reported the potential new screen size on the local evening news. Time will tell whether all of the rumors will pan out.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
now hopefully they will double the resolution and they will have an instant smash hit on their hands especially if they make it sexy like they always do

And if they don't change the screen size and/or resolution, they will have a smash hit on their hands... #justsaying

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Well with verizon and other carriers are getting rid of unlimited grandfathered data which I am sure will be shortly before this comes out, It is almost a waste to have an lte device if you have to monitor your data usage. maybe I will switch to a gsm carrier so at least if I am not in a lte market they have faster 3g speeds.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Well with verizon and other carriers are getting rid of unlimited grandfathered data which I am sure will be shortly before this comes out, It is almost a waste to have an lte device if you have to monitor your data usage. maybe I will switch to a gsm carrier so at least if I am not in a lte market they have faster 3g speeds.

Not only did Verizon end unlimited, they're looking to raise prices. Using Verizon logic, just because they (supposedly) didn't hear a lot of complaints, raising the upgrade fee was "the right thing to do."

Verizon plans price hikes for Fios, wireless users | Mobile - CNET News

He (Verizon CFO) also promised investors that wireless customers would soon be spending more on its service after the company implements a new "data share" plan for its 4G LTE network.

I'm only including that because several think data sharing is going to save them money. Let's just say that's not Verizon's intentions.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind if they make a bigger screen. Just as long as they do it by eliminating the dead space and not by making it all around larger. I still want to be able to stuff it in my pocket and not need a man purse to carry it. :eek:.