wireless charging?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
So no discussion of the latest rumor? Here's the link to frontpage article: http://www.imore.com/2012/05/03/iphone-5-rumored-4inch-screen-smaller-dock/

Rumors of a return to the metal backplate have been around for years, probably since the day after Apple dumped the original iPhone?s casing for the plastic of the iPhone 3G. Having metal-on-glass, the inverse of Apple?s current glass-on-metal aesthetic, looks a bit odd. But so did the iPhone 4 design when it first leaked. Likely radio transparency will dictate the final composition.

Anyways, i see the metal backing and think wireless charging. This would mean a new accessory like the Palm Touchstone (but probably designed better). Hopefully magnetic as well.

So..does a taller iphone help in this regard if you envision the touchstone like dock? With any hope, along with new iOS 6 maps/nav, this could make in car use much better. The first thing i did with touchstone was put in car.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I would LOVE wireless charging built right into devices. I have so many cables laying around and trying to keep them organized is almost impossible. This would be an awesome feature, plus it could open the door to secondary features. Whenever your iPhone is on the charging plate/mat/etc, it automatically goes into silent mode or the volume increases or it shifts into landscape mode.

I think the reason the wireless charging mats didn't take off is because they were so expensive and cumbersome to use. I loved the idea but then I realized I would be spending almost $200 by the time I bought the mat and cases for my devices. Plus, imagine if you bought the special charging mat case for your iPhone then dropped it. That would be another $30-$40 you'd have to shell out to replace the case.

chiragaegis

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Device Compatibility
The first question that needs to be answered when you?re looking for wireless chargers is: does it work with my device? The manufacturers behind these products strive constantly to broaden the compatibility of their chargers, adding flexibility and convenience to their charge pads. Before making a purchase, be sure that the mat you choose will charge your device.

Specifications
Each device in our comparison varies slightly in what it offers, ranging from charge pads that must be plugged in to ones that have internal batteries. In this section, we look for power output and input specifications, whether the device comes with manual charging converters for incompatible devices, and how many devices can be charged simultaneously.

Durability
How much punishment can these wireless chargers take? In this section, we look at the construction of the wireless phone chargers as well as their ability to resist breakage. The device you choose should be solidly built and resistant to damage so you can get the most out of your purchase.

Help & Support
If you have trouble setting up your wireless phone charger or if a key component breaks, responsive and helpful customer support is essential. We looked for multiple contact options as well as healthy documentation for this rating criterion.

soleobjective

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I loved the Touchstone when I had a Palm Pre. The only thing is that it would most likely be ridiculously expensive coming from Apple, but overall the Touchstone was an amazing accessory to have around at home and in my office.