Why the next iPhone won't be called iPhone 5

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Plus those saying they wont change the resolution because of developers, the devs arent going to pass on the amount of $$$ they can make and will change their apps to work with it.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The current 5th generation iPhone is called the 4S. Could a 6th generation be called the iPhone 5? Highly doubt it. I was at Apple last night and somebody was telling the Genius he thinks next iPhone will be called the 5. Genius said "we aren't allowed to speculate but you really think the 6th gen will be called iPhone 5? I don't think so" and wouldn't express anymore opinion.

I know iMore has decided to call it for the iPhone 5 because they need to call it something. Nobody knows except the executives of Apple what it may or will be called. Really, the name doesn't matter. All we want to know is what it will look like and the hardware specs.

I'm going out to say it will be called "The New iPhone". What do you guys think it will be called? Sound off below.

I already said this- iPhone 6G. It's going to look like the iPhone 4S without the bezel.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Welp, even BB can claim higher resolution now than the iphone. Yep..Blackberry. Who next? A kickstarter phone running open source webOS?

And?
How well does blackberry sell compared to the iPhone?
More to the point, how well can you spot a difference between the two?

I'm willing to bet that you can't spot very much of a difference that actually lies with the PPI, color, and contrast compared to the actual resolution.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
To be honest i dont care what its called. As long as its not called "The New Iphone" and even then if it has a 4" screen then im buying it. However you do make a strong point about the 4s being the 5th generation but calling it the 6th iphone would confuse the general iphone user. This is why i strongly believe that it will be called Iphone 5

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
And?
How well does blackberry sell compared to the iPhone?
More to the point, how well can you spot a difference between the two?

I'm willing to bet that you can't spot very much of a difference that actually lies with the PPI, color, and contrast compared to the actual resolution.

Apple could put out a terd and market it as revolutionary and the sheep would still buy it lol so saying about it selling doesn't mean much.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Apple could put out a terd and market it as revolutionary and the sheep would still buy it lol so saying about it selling doesn't mean much.

I highly doubt Apple could put out that bad of a product and expect it to sell.
Sure the 4S wasn't what a lot of people were expecting, but it was an enormous upgrade from those users coming off the two year contracts they signed with the 3GS.

Secondly, even if that was true, every product Apple has put out so far is at the top of market, except for their laptops and desktop computers.
But even those have had distinct advantages over PC's and pretty much rule the music, photography, and movie industry.

I was also informed the other day that they were popular in certain segments of scientific research. The National Institutes of Health is the third largest Apple network in the world and still is.

So even if they could put out a bad product and make it sell good, they are doing a hell of a job keeping up with the competition so far.

Also that still doesn't change the fact that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Retina and 720p. Except for, of course, watching videos.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
To be honest i dont care what its called. As long as its not called "The New Iphone" and even then if it has a 4" screen then im buying it. However you do make a strong point about the 4s being the 5th generation but calling it the 6th iphone would confuse the general iphone user. This is why i strongly believe that it will be called Iphone 5

That's why I believe the number is going away. They did on the iPad.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm going go buy iPhone6 iPhone 7 and iPhone8 .com so that way I can sell them to apple lol

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I think it will be called the 5 just cuz of the pattern but it did go iPhone to iPhone 3G .. 3GS 4 4s no 2 so it could be 5 or maybe 6 n skip 5 .. Or drop the number all together .. I guess only apple knows for sure

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Another reason why I dont think the 6th gen will be called the 5. If my memory serves me correctly, Phil Schiller was asked why they called it "the new iPad". He said Apple doesn't like to be predictable.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think losing the numbers works better for Apple. They want to market the iphone, not the iphone x.

Funny thing is that the ipad will always be new. It's the new ipad afterall. Even at end of the year, it's the new ipad. I guess the rumors will start in Jan for the "next" ipad. Those will be fun times trying to keep the names straight.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh