Why the next iPhone won't be called iPhone 5

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The current 5th generation iPhone is called the 4S. Could a 6th generation be called the iPhone 5? Highly doubt it. I was at Apple last night and somebody was telling the Genius he thinks next iPhone will be called the 5. Genius said "we aren't allowed to speculate but you really think the 6th gen will be called iPhone 5? I don't think so" and wouldn't express anymore opinion.

I know iMore has decided to call it for the iPhone 5 because they need to call it something. Nobody knows except the executives of Apple what it may or will be called. Really, the name doesn't matter. All we want to know is what it will look like and the hardware specs.

I'm going out to say it will be called "The New iPhone". What do you guys think it will be called? Sound off below.

kshen1

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I think it won't even be called "the new iPhone". I think Apple will just call it iPhone.
maybe for marketing purposes they'll put the word "new" in it.
that's just my opinion.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I never heard anybody call it the iPhone 3. Thats a first for me. I heard people call it iPhone 3G or just 3G.

I've never heard anyone call it 3, but he does make a good point.
The 4 is the only iPhone to be given its generation number in its name.
However, I don't really care much. Its a name. You'll buy it anyways.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Long as its not called the new iPhone, but I am tired of everyone calling it the iPhone 5 when THIS iPhone 4S IS the 5th gen.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Well they called the 5th gen the 4s so it wouldn't surprise me they call the 6th gen the iphone 5. If they skipped over a number people would just have something to complain about. Maybe they will call it the 4s^2 lol

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
The next iPhone is iPhone 5,1. The next number after 4/4S is 5. Apple could absolutely call it that and arguably it would be the name that would confuse mainstream consumers the least.

Apple could also call it the iPhone X or iPhone Black or whatever they want. It's a marketing decision and no ones opinion or logic matters outside Apple.

That said, calling it iPhone 6 would be daft since every normal human would think they somehow missed the 5.

For now, all we have is the internal model name, and that's iPhone 5 (,1; ,2; etc)

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
The next iPhone is iPhone 5,1. The next number after 4/4S is 5. Apple could absolutely call it that and arguably it would be the name that would confuse mainstream consumers the least.

Apple could also call it the iPhone X or iPhone Black or whatever they want. It's a marketing decision and no ones opinion or logic matters outside Apple.

That said, calling it iPhone 6 would be daft since every normal human would think they somehow missed the 5.

For now, all we have is the internal model name, and that's iPhone 5 (,1; ,2; etc)

Yes it makes more sense for it to be 5.
The continuation of what they are already doing. (even though they skipped 2) 3G, 3GS, 4, 4GS, 5.
It would confuse consumers more so by switching to 6.
I find that them calling it the new iPhone or iPhone (insert catchy name here) more likely than 6.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

True they won't call it the 6. I think the "number" will be left off of next iPhone. MacBooks are just called MacBooks. iPads are now the new iPad. My opinion is the number is being phased out on the names.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple will announce a 3.7 inch "new iPhone", and also a 4.6 inch "new iPhone HD". Two models.

I just doubt this very much. Part of Apples business success is simplicity. It is cheap for them to make an advanced device in one mold and sell the hell out it. I'm not saying they would not have an issue selling it, but apples track record shows simple is safe, simple makes money.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
True they won't call it the 6. I think the "number" will be left off of next iPhone. MacBooks are just called MacBooks. iPads are now the new iPad. My opinion is the number is being phased out on the names.

I can handle the new iphone. The culprit was 4S. That name alone suggested slight upgrade from iphone 4. You don't want the product name suggesting this while trying to sell the differences as something magical.

Take the numbers off and the whole problem is eliminated. But it introduces new problems such as each phone having a unique identity. For example, i remember my first iphone as the iphone 3G. The iphone 4 as the game changing retina one that prompted ppi and resolution wars.

What will Apple do? Whatever they want and probably not what's widely expected either. I think they got other problems such as screen size to worry about. There's no rumors of doubling the resolution again and the competition has them beat on screen resolution. That's not a good position to be in.

Screen resolution has always been important. The current is fine, but the competition has better. Apple needs to take another leap. No matter the name, no matter the redesign, a similar sized screen or slightly bigger screen with less retina will not be met with cheers.

Others may defend it saying the current size and res is ok but that's not good enough. Apple is a premium product. The iphone is their baby. They have billions sitting in the bank. They've had 18 months after the iphone 4 and another year after the 4S. They've managed to make the new ipad run fine with a jaw dropping resolution..something the competition obviously can't do yet (or we'd seen it by now). A 1920x1280 iphone may seem overkill, but IMO, it's necessary. That's why we pay the margins Apple demands, we want overkill, eye candy, you name it.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm with Garz on this one. I think they have already showed their hand with the renaming of the iPad, or rather with the removal of the number tag. They have always done the ipods this way, JUST calling them by their size, and you just have to know the generation number.

chiragaegis

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
We want know exactly what is going to change in the next iPhone over the current modueluntil Steve jobs walks on stage and holds it aloft, but we have got a good idea of some of the details, and it doens not look like the next iPhone will be as sizable a leap tech-wise over the iPhone 4 as the iPhone 4 was over the iPhone 3GS.

iPhone Apps Developers

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
so y'all reckon it wont be callled the iphone 5 huh? can i ask you all a question please.......what number comes after 4????

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I can handle the new iphone. The culprit was 4S. That name alone suggested slight upgrade from iphone 4. You don't want the product name suggesting this while trying to sell the differences as something magical.

Take the numbers off and the whole problem is eliminated. But it introduces new problems such as each phone having a unique identity. For example, i remember my first iphone as the iphone 3G. The iphone 4 as the game changing retina one that prompted ppi and resolution wars.

What will Apple do? Whatever they want and probably not what's widely expected either. I think they got other problems such as screen size to worry about. There's no rumors of doubling the resolution again and the competition has them beat on screen resolution. That's not a good position to be in.

Screen resolution has always been important. The current is fine, but the competition has better. Apple needs to take another leap. No matter the name, no matter the redesign, a similar sized screen or slightly bigger screen with less retina will not be met with cheers.

Others may defend it saying the current size and res is ok but that's not good enough. Apple is a premium product. The iphone is their baby. They have billions sitting in the bank. They've had 18 months after the iphone 4 and another year after the 4S. They've managed to make the new ipad run fine with a jaw dropping resolution..something the competition obviously can't do yet (or we'd seen it by now). A 1920x1280 iphone may seem overkill, but IMO, it's necessary. That's why we pay the margins Apple demands, we want overkill, eye candy, you name it.

Resolution is something I highly doubt that will change.
It's not needed and it is overkill. We still have apps adjusting to the iPads new resolution and developers just ported apps to the 4 & 4S. Much to soon for them to have it again.
The gain from apples current resolution to 1080p is extremely minimal and those without the untrained eye wouldn't even be able to catch a difference.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
so y'all reckon it wont be callled the iphone 5 huh? can i ask you all a question please.......what number comes after 4????

Mark this post. Come back in October. Lets see if they call it the 5. I like my chances of saying it won't.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Resolution is something I highly doubt that will change.
It's not needed and it is overkill. We still have apps adjusting to the iPads new resolution and developers just ported apps to the 4 & 4S. Much to soon for them to have it again.
The gain from apples current resolution to 1080p is extremely minimal and those without the untrained eye wouldn't even be able to catch a difference.

Welp, even BB can claim higher resolution now than the iphone. Yep..Blackberry. Who next? A kickstarter phone running open source webOS?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh