Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Actual

Global Posts
    2,375 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iPhone 5: No to big screen, yes to LTE

http://www.imore.com/2012/03/23/ipho...-sized-screen/

Solid rumors from a solid source.

Here's the teaser:

So to sum up, iPhone 5,1 is on track for:

• Similar if not same sized screen (currently 3.5-inch but not set in stone)
    • 4G LTE radio
    • New “micro dock” connector
    • Fall/October 2012 release

Lay into it!
    Thanked by:
    SockRolid (04-19-2012)
    Jeremy, melwan and SockRolid like this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    iOS Version

i would like a 4 inch screen
    "If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you've tried"... -- Terrence C.

iPhone 5S 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 4 128GB + LTE, iPad mini Retina 128GB + LTE, iPad 2 64GB Wifi, Apple TV 2 & 3, MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011), iMac (2008 Intel), Powerbook G4, 2 Powerbook G3's, indigo iMac
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I hope "similar" sized screen translates to ~ 4-inches ... definitely time to go bigger for Apple

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,003 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

I, too, would like a bigger screen and 4" would be perfect for me..
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I don't mind the same size screen. But I definitely want LTE

Sent from my Verizon iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iPhone 4S ~ 32GB ~ Verizon
    Twitter

Global Posts
    11,973 Global Posts
    iOS Version

October 2012 release... I've been guessing that myself for quite some time...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Man, I'm hoping its between 3 and 4 inch screen. 3.89 would be ideal
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

I guess they figure they aren't getting very good battery life with the 4s so need to stick with the same size screen for lte to get half decent battery life.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    I guess they figure they aren't getting very good battery life with the 4s so need to stick with the same size screen for lte to get half decent battery life.
    I get great battery life on my 4S
    iPhone 4S ~ 32GB ~ Verizon
    Twitter
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnapThrow View Post
    I hope "similar" sized screen translates to ~ 4-inches ... definitely time to go bigger for Apple

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I agree 100%. I have large hands and the 3.5" screen just doesn't cut it anymore. It drives me nuts that the general thinking seems to be "Apple has thought this out, and they know best." This statement always seems to imply that anyone who wants a bigger screen is wrong, which Apple can never be. Perhaps they don't have enough large handed individuals in their company (take that for just what it says, I'm not implying anything, there is no intended double meaning). I had a Droid X for a little while, and that screen size was perfect. The phone was terrible, but the screen size was just right for me. I've heard many people make the argument (and I think it's true) that very little iPhone usage is actually as a phone anymore. That eliminates the argument that, "People look ridiculous with those huge things held up to their face." Who cares? I wish the iPad had phone capabilities so I could just carry one iOS device around. And yes, I'm dead serious. I've got headphones I can use for calls, and it would eliminate the issues I have with small screen size. 3.5" might be the "right size" for most people, but there is a large contingent out there that could use something larger. Ultimately, it's not a deal breaker for me. I have no interest in going back to Android or moving to Blackberry, but I'd at least like to see Apple consider a change in this one area.

Just out of curiosity, how does one not get good battery life? I'd seriously like to know how much one would have to use their phone to experience bad battery life. And what is bad battery life for an iPhone 4S? Everyone I know has Android phones, and their phones are dead by mid-afternoon, and again by the end of a night. If it's a weekend, and we're going out for an evening, they'd have to charge it again before we leave. I can easily get two days on my iPhone.
    redbeard likes this.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts

I'd like a slightly larger screen but I'd settle for a 3.5" screen so long as they can fit in a battery capable of providing the phone with the kind of battery life we've all come to expect from an iPhone. This is absolutely necessary since it's not likely that we'll see a replaceable battery.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,773 Global Posts

I'm trying to imagine the new iphone event.

"It's a 4" screen now" Everyone cheers.

"But it's not retina quality anymore" Everyone still cheers i guess..

I'm surprised there's such a demand for a return to blurry text..
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    709 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm hoping the battery life doesn't take too much of a hit with the switch to LTE.
    iPhone 6 - iPad Air - MacBook Pro 13" - ATV3

+ Romans 8:28 +
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    5,165 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I am hoping and expecting a screen size bump. Increasing the screen just because other companies have isn't the reason to do it. But after 5 generations of phones it is time to increase it due to the way the devices use has evolved for everyday users. .5" isn't a big jump and the device won't be impossible to use.

So lets talk retina display, the "new iPad" commercial I saw this morning clearly stated "retina display" and yet its ppi is lower than the current iPhone so is it ppi or something else that allows Apple to call it a retina display.

I have confidence that if the screen is bumped slightly (something between 3.5-4.0" they will be able to adjust the screen resolution to accommodate it. The phone does need to evolve and in order to get a bigger battery in it (and it will need it for LTE) a bump in size would be helpful.

Of course if they got rid of the home button and made better use the space below and incorporated a way to "slide to home" space at the bottom of the phone that would be cool.
    2014 15" MacBook Pro, SuperDrive, AirPort Extreme, iPhone 4S (Verizon for Work) & Pre-Ordred iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Gold (AT&T), Waiting on iPad Air 2 to be announced.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm trying to imagine the new iphone event.

"It's a 4" screen now" Everyone cheers.

"But it's not retina quality anymore" Everyone still cheers i guess..

I'm surprised there's such a demand for a return to blurry text..
    Why couldnt it be the same quality?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts

I want big screen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The_colombian View Post
    Why couldnt it be the same quality?
    Because then all the people against a little larger screen would have nothing to ***** about
    Adawg1203 and DaPhoneking like this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    Because then all the people against a little larger screen would have nothing to ***** about
    Yup, same people who would run and buy it on launch. Nothing wrong with a little change.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    446 Global Posts

Apple needs to increase the display size. Its too small and that is not because of what the competition is offerring.

When the iPhone came out, 3.5" was big. Evolution has outdated that size and now its time for a bump.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    I am hoping and expecting a screen size bump. Increasing the screen just because other companies have isn't the reason to do it. But after 5 generations of phones it is time to increase it due to the way the devices use has evolved for everyday users. .5" isn't a big jump and the device won't be impossible to use.

So lets talk retina display, the "new iPad" commercial I saw this morning clearly stated "retina display" and yet its ppi is lower than the current iPhone so is it ppi or something else that allows Apple to call it a retina display.

I have confidence that if the screen is bumped slightly (something between 3.5-4.0" they will be able to adjust the screen resolution to accommodate it. The phone does need to evolve and in order to get a bigger battery in it (and it will need it for LTE) a bump in size would be helpful.

Of course if they got rid of the home button and made better use the space below and incorporated a way to "slide to home" space at the bottom of the phone that would be cool.
    You know, in that mindset, Apple probably will increase the screen size because in order to add LTE, they would have to increase the battery size. With the battery increase, the device either is going to be slightly longer, or slightly thicker than the current 4/4S. Now assuming the device gets longer, the screen size would have to increase for the design to be flawless and "magical". However, if thicker I guess they could stick with the current 3.5 inch display, but as someone said before, in order for the device to evolve, a bigger screen is a must.
    "If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you've tried"... -- Terrence C.

iPhone 5S 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 4 128GB + LTE, iPad mini Retina 128GB + LTE, iPad 2 64GB Wifi, Apple TV 2 & 3, MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011), iMac (2008 Intel), Powerbook G4, 2 Powerbook G3's, indigo iMac
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    5,165 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I agree with that. Battery and LTE will dictate some sort of physical change and I can't see the design change being wasted if there is indeed room for a screen bump. Apple doesn't use the same size screens as anyone else so I would expect it to be 3.9" instead of 4" so that the ppi formula works for them.
    2014 15" MacBook Pro, SuperDrive, AirPort Extreme, iPhone 4S (Verizon for Work) & Pre-Ordred iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Gold (AT&T), Waiting on iPad Air 2 to be announced.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I really want just a little bigger screen and LTE. I think 4 inch would be great.
    32GB iPhone 5 black
    32GB Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    16GB iPhone 4 black retired/backup
    16GB iPad 3rd gen WiFi
    16GB OG iPad WiFi sold
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    I agree with that. Battery and LTE will dictate some sort of physical change and I can't see the design change being wasted if there is indeed room for a screen bump. Apple doesn't use the same size screens as anyone else so I would expect it to be 3.9" instead of 4" so that the ppi formula works for them.
    Given the design of the new iPad's display, I'm sure the technology will work it's way down to the next iPhone, regardless of actual screen size. I wouldn't be surprised if they developed a way to make the pixel microns even smaller.

iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Might as well call it the iPhone 4L or iPhone 4G
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I think they could move up to a 4 inch screen and keep it real close to the same form factor.
    32GB iPhone 5 black
    32GB Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    16GB iPhone 4 black retired/backup
    16GB iPad 3rd gen WiFi
    16GB OG iPad WiFi sold
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast