iPhone 5: No to big screen, yes to LTE

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I hope "similar" sized screen translates to ~ 4-inches ... definitely time to go bigger for Apple

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I guess they figure they aren't getting very good battery life with the 4s so need to stick with the same size screen for lte to get half decent battery life.

twkufahl

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I hope "similar" sized screen translates to ~ 4-inches ... definitely time to go bigger for Apple

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree 100%. I have large hands and the 3.5" screen just doesn't cut it anymore. It drives me nuts that the general thinking seems to be "Apple has thought this out, and they know best." This statement always seems to imply that anyone who wants a bigger screen is wrong, which Apple can never be. Perhaps they don't have enough large handed individuals in their company (take that for just what it says, I'm not implying anything, there is no intended double meaning). I had a Droid X for a little while, and that screen size was perfect. The phone was terrible, but the screen size was just right for me. I've heard many people make the argument (and I think it's true) that very little iPhone usage is actually as a phone anymore. That eliminates the argument that, "People look ridiculous with those huge things held up to their face." Who cares? I wish the iPad had phone capabilities so I could just carry one iOS device around. And yes, I'm dead serious. I've got headphones I can use for calls, and it would eliminate the issues I have with small screen size. 3.5" might be the "right size" for most people, but there is a large contingent out there that could use something larger. Ultimately, it's not a deal breaker for me. I have no interest in going back to Android or moving to Blackberry, but I'd at least like to see Apple consider a change in this one area.

Just out of curiosity, how does one not get good battery life? I'd seriously like to know how much one would have to use their phone to experience bad battery life. And what is bad battery life for an iPhone 4S? Everyone I know has Android phones, and their phones are dead by mid-afternoon, and again by the end of a night. If it's a weekend, and we're going out for an evening, they'd have to charge it again before we leave. I can easily get two days on my iPhone.

Scout_313

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd like a slightly larger screen but I'd settle for a 3.5" screen so long as they can fit in a battery capable of providing the phone with the kind of battery life we've all come to expect from an iPhone. This is absolutely necessary since it's not likely that we'll see a replaceable battery.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm trying to imagine the new iphone event.

"It's a 4" screen now" Everyone cheers.

"But it's not retina quality anymore" Everyone still cheers i guess..

I'm surprised there's such a demand for a return to blurry text..

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I am hoping and expecting a screen size bump. Increasing the screen just because other companies have isn't the reason to do it. But after 5 generations of phones it is time to increase it due to the way the devices use has evolved for everyday users. .5" isn't a big jump and the device won't be impossible to use.

So lets talk retina display, the "new iPad" commercial I saw this morning clearly stated "retina display" and yet its ppi is lower than the current iPhone so is it ppi or something else that allows Apple to call it a retina display.

I have confidence that if the screen is bumped slightly (something between 3.5-4.0" they will be able to adjust the screen resolution to accommodate it. The phone does need to evolve and in order to get a bigger battery in it (and it will need it for LTE) a bump in size would be helpful.

Of course if they got rid of the home button and made better use the space below and incorporated a way to "slide to home" space at the bottom of the phone that would be cool.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Apple needs to increase the display size. Its too small and that is not because of what the competition is offerring.

When the iPhone came out, 3.5" was big. Evolution has outdated that size and now its time for a bump.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I am hoping and expecting a screen size bump. Increasing the screen just because other companies have isn't the reason to do it. But after 5 generations of phones it is time to increase it due to the way the devices use has evolved for everyday users. .5" isn't a big jump and the device won't be impossible to use.

So lets talk retina display, the "new iPad" commercial I saw this morning clearly stated "retina display" and yet its ppi is lower than the current iPhone so is it ppi or something else that allows Apple to call it a retina display.

I have confidence that if the screen is bumped slightly (something between 3.5-4.0" they will be able to adjust the screen resolution to accommodate it. The phone does need to evolve and in order to get a bigger battery in it (and it will need it for LTE) a bump in size would be helpful.

Of course if they got rid of the home button and made better use the space below and incorporated a way to "slide to home" space at the bottom of the phone that would be cool.

You know, in that mindset, Apple probably will increase the screen size because in order to add LTE, they would have to increase the battery size. With the battery increase, the device either is going to be slightly longer, or slightly thicker than the current 4/4S. Now assuming the device gets longer, the screen size would have to increase for the design to be flawless and "magical". ;) However, if thicker I guess they could stick with the current 3.5 inch display, but as someone said before, in order for the device to evolve, a bigger screen is a must.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods