new iphone and verizon

WyattEarp509

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
Quick post to gauge some thoughts/input/feedback on how the LTE verizon iphone will handle data connection change-overs.

Basically i've got an At&t iphone 4 now but i'm pretty tired of terrible cell reception and constant data connection change-overs. I'll go from 3G to edge, then nothing, then back to 3G. Or when it says 3G, but data doesn't work, then bumps down to edge, then eventually re-establishes 3G. I simply refer to this phenomenon as 'normal at&t'. So i'm considering switching to verizon when the new iphone drops.

So my initial concern would be this.. lets say i've got my LTE verizon iphone, and i'm on the outskirts of the LTE coverage and it rolls back to 3G. Does that mean i'm unable to access data while using the voice network like current iphones on verizon? While hardly a major issue (as I don't recall the last time I truly needed data during a phone call) i'm curious to know if that would still be the case. I imagine it would have to be unless they made a change to their current 3G network.

Let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas.. i'd hate to stick with at&t since I'm not in one of their priority LTE upgrade areas.. so I forsee a long wait for that here.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
lets say i've got my LTE verizon iphone, and i'm on the outskirts of the LTE coverage and it rolls back to 3G. Does that mean i'm unable to access data while using the voice network like current iphones on verizon?

As things stand today - yes... The way things are now on Verizon - I believe the LTE is data only... Voice calls are handled on CDMA as they are now.

What's coming is voice over LTE... and when LTE is not available, devices will fall back to CDMA for voice & data... and no talk& surf.

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
In rural areas like I live Verizon is nice to have even if the data speeds are slower than AT&T. With any other carrier I prob won't even get edge.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
As a phone, Verizon has the coverage. Data is nice, but being able to make a phone call Iespecially in emergencies) should come before all else. I had the LTE on my iPad 3HD and it seems to be pretty fast. That works for me...

Martin55

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
What's coming is voice over LTE... and when LTE is not available, devices will fall back to CDMA for voice & data... and no talk& surf.

bailman

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
The no talk/surf on Verizon 3G is not exactly true...I can talk/surf on 3G on my HTC thunderbolt, so it is possible. I am going to switch to the iPhone as soon as the LTE version is out.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
The no talk/surf on Verizon 3G is not exactly true...I can talk/surf on 3G on my HTC thunderbolt, so it is possible. I am going to switch to the iPhone as soon as the LTE version is out.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

This is the answer to the OP's question. Simultaneous v&d are possible while on the eHRPD network. This is the 3G backbone of Verizon's LTE roll-out.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3gozd3

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73