would you consider an iphone with 4:3 screen ratio?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
LG has such a phone at 5" that is considered an oversized phone.

How about 4"? With the same ipad 2 resolution, it'd have 320ppi keeping the retina requirement. At a 4:3 aspect ratio, it'd be significantly wider than the iphone 4S but perhaps not too big.

And what if they took iOS that is used on the ipad and tweaked it for iphone? Apple has only said smaller tablets than the ipad weren't great for a tablet experience. They didn't say anything about a smartphone experience.

LG Newsroom This is one at 5" from LG.

Here's a sample i found of a 4" phone at 4:3 ratio to give a better idea. http://www.androidcentral.com/pantech-pocket-hands

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
nope 4:3 ratio is terrible, along with the 5" display makes it really bad. I'd like to see Apple bring the iPhone up to 3.7" or 4" display but I doubt that'll happen, anything bigger is to big for most people. And Apple makes their devices to fit most people, not giving choices on too many different things.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
What, you wouldn't consider this innovative? :) (I mentioned 4" btw).

How many 4:3 phones you see? What if it could run ipad apps given it would be the same resolution? Iphone apps could become legacy but still compatible. Or Apple could keep the current iphone as a classic model.

The extra width on the screen would be much better for web browsing and apps, which most people claim they want out of a smartphone. The only knock might be that it's too wide for small hands. But any bigger phone is going to be awkward for small hands.

If anyone could pull it off, it's Apple. But there's also the factor that the iphone is Apple's bread n butter now. This might make them shy about taking risks. But then again, it IS their bread n butter so they need to keep innovating.

If anyone wants to shoot this down, go for it. You won't hurt my feelings. It's what forums are for. We're here to speculate right? And i'll add, for those crying innovation, i'd not heard too many details on what would be innovative that they want in an iphone 5. LTE? Bigger screen? Different design? Quad core processor? Yawn... Mini usb port for charging? Double yawn..

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
What, you wouldn't consider this innovative?

LG already made one so it's not really that innovative. The iPhone apps and iPad apps are already fairly similar and universal binary apps run on both. Some iPhone apps are even starting to use the vertical menu on the side of the screen like iPad apps; Facebook, AP News, MSNBC, etc.

Besides that it will be far to wide; that LG is 90mm that is huge.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think a 4" display is the perfect size. Not too big or small and still fits in the pocket.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

rotchcrocket04

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't see them doing a 4:3 aspect ratio... it just doesn't make sense in these phones... especially with the (high quality) photo taking capabilities.

I do however, see them jumping to a 4" screen. I think they'll pull something awesome out with a moderately small device but still cram a 4" screen in there. That's what I hated about my Android when I had it. 4.3" was nice... but too bulky overall IMHO.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The 4-inch iPhone display: Doing the math | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Found something that discusses this very thing but goes into depth about other possibilities as well. Not sure if the bolded part would be true or not as this article is over a year old.

The iPad's 4:3 aspect ratio is unlikely to come to the iPhone. The iPhone's form factor would have to change considerably, to a more squarish shape. A 4-inch screen with a 4:3 aspect ratio would have dimensions of 3.2 x 2.4 inches, or about 0.09 inches wider than the iPhone 4's overall width. The one advantage of going this route: a 1024 x 768 resolution would still have the iPhone's display at a Retina Display level of quality, and it would also simplify producing "universal" apps between the iPhone and iPad. With both devices at the same resolution, developers wouldn't have to change what they're doing at all; they could go on making one version of apps for the iPhone 4 and below, and another version for the iPad/iPhone 5.

The main problem I see with a 4:3 aspect ratio iPhone is that it might be too wide to hold comfortably as a phone. Tacking another half inch or so onto the current iPhone's width might not seem like a big deal, but some folks with small- to medium-sized hands already complain about the iPhone's "bulk." A big, square iPhone might not look all that stylish, either; lots of people seemed to hate the third-gen "fat iPod nano," and people might react with similar distaste to a "fat iPhone."

Here's the regular iphone 4/4S.
iphone4-current-cjr.jpg

Here's a 4" iphone at 4:3 screen ratio
iphone-4-3.jpg

And a 4" iphone at it's current 3:2 screen ratio
iphone-3-2-1298015340.jpg

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
..snipped...." A big, square iPhone might not look all that stylish, either; lots of people seemed to hate the third-gen "fat iPod nano," and people might react with similar distaste to a "fat iPhone"
...snipped..
Yet, many of those people purchased the device anyway and I have no doubt that many will purchase an iPhone with a 4 inch display despite the ratio. Anyway, that was great information and I appreciate you sharing it with us. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind a 4" screen on my iPhone, but 5" is a bit to much. I've owned Androids that were 4" and 4.3" and they seemed perfect for everything. Then switched to the 4S, which was hard because of the smaller screen lol

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't mind a 4" screen on my iPhone, but 5" is a bit to much. I've owned Androids that were 4" and 4.3" and they seemed perfect for everything. Then switched to the 4S, which was hard because of the smaller screen lol

You know, if Apple would just make Safari & others auto format the text when I zoom in and out, I could go on with the current screen size.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)