Will it also be 'the new iPhone' ?

jaybree

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
After Tim Cook announced the name of the iPad as just the 'iPad' did anyone also think that the same will happen to the iPhone later this year?

They will probably drop the numbers this time.

_zguy__#IM

May 7, 2011
Visit site
The iPad 2 was just "the iPad" too, the box for both of mine only said "iPad" but no I cannot be "the I
Phone" because they will still sell the 4S And maybe 4

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The iPad 2 was just "the iPad" too, the box for both of mine only said "iPad" but no I cannot be "the I
Phone" because they will still sell the 4S And maybe 4

yet they still sell the ipad 1&2.......
Apple will say it is revolutionary and they invented lte or if it has a bigger screen they invented that..

Last edited:

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
yet they still sell the ipad 1&2.......
Apple will say it is revolutionary and they invented lte or if it has a bigger screen they invented that..

What? ^^^ is ^^^ this ?

I think they will definitely drop the numbers for the iPhone. I can see it causing some confusion on CraigsList or EBay. But I guess we will just refer to the devices as 5th gen, 6th gen, etc...

I guess that is what you get when you name your device something simple like iPhone... Instead if the Samsung Epic 4g Touch Maxx 3.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
What? ^^^ is ^^^ this ?

I think they will definitely drop the numbers for the iPhone. I can see it causing some confusion on CraigsList or EBay. But I guess we will just refer to the devices as 5th gen, 6th gen, etc...

I guess that is what you get when you name your device something simple like iPhone... Instead if the Samsung Epic 4g Touch Maxx 3.

I think it would be smart for them to keep the numbers. I mean remember back when they said they dont't wanna change things that would confuse their customers?

jaybree

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
But I guess we will just refer to the devices as 5th gen, 6th gen, etc...

I'd like to think of it the way we name our Macs. Macbook Air late 2011, Macbook Pro Early 2011, etc. Though there is no number we refer to them as to when they were released. They have model numbers though but we don't really want to get into that.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be smart for them to keep the numbers. I mean remember back when they said they dont't wanna change things that would confuse their customers?

LOL, I am just sitting here thinking to myself just how confused customers are going to be when the 4th generation iPad comes out. Will that one also be called the "New iPad"? :D

Sonlon

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
After Tim Cook announced the name of the iPad as just the 'iPad' did anyone also think that the same will happen to the iPhone later this year?

They will probably drop the numbers this time.

I don't think this will be happen on the next iphone, as Apple seems always to name a different name on their new product from people's guess.

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why people are calling it iPhone 5. Based on Apple's numbering history, I doubt it will be called that.

We have:
iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3Gs
iPhone 4
iPhone 4s

I'm assuming the new one will be called iPhone 6. iPhone 5 doesn't make sense, it's the 6th iPhone. iPhone 4 was called 4 because it was the 4th iPhone. The next iPhone will be the 6th.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand why people are calling it iPhone 5. Based on Apple's numbering history, I doubt it will be called that.

We have:
iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3Gs
iPhone 4
iPhone 4s

I'm assuming the new one will be called iPhone 6. iPhone 5 doesn't make sense, it's the 6th iPhone. iPhone 4 was called 4 because it was the 4th iPhone. The next iPhone will be the 6th.

And the 4s is the 5th yet they called it 4s.

Looking at 3, 3G, 4, 4S, logically 5 comes next. Doesn't mean they won't call it something stupid like "the new iPhone" though..

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
And the 4s is the 5th yet they called it 4s.

Looking at 3, 3G, 4, 4S, logically 5 comes next. Doesn't mean they won't call it something stupid like "the new iPhone" though..
I don't know why everyone is upset about this. It blows my mind how confused people are about this when it really is quite simple.

The new iPad isn't called "The new iPad". It's simply the new "iPad". The name is "iPad" and it is the new one. We don't call Macbook pro's "Macbook Pro 7" or any other number. They are simply the "Macbook Pro" and when a new one comes out it is announced as "The new Macbook Pro", along with Apple's other non-numbered products. It's really not a big deal and people need to get the heck over it. It's not confusing, it's not going to throw anyone off, and apple is still going to basically print money with it. Move on. This is not news.

emirozmen

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
iPad is becoming like a computer. They dont have MacBook Pro 1, 2, 3 and so on. I think thats what they are trying to do here, make it look like a computer in every way.
They will keep the numbers on the iPhone IMO or a word like iPhone LTE.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
After reading this blog by Leanna, it makes me think it very well could be called "new iPhone"

http://www.imore.com/2012/03/09/ipad-ipad/

This would be just fine with me. A new iPhone is a new iPhone, doesn't matter what Apple calls it. I wish they would bring it out now, as I am so ready for the 5, 6, New iPhone, or whatever Apple decides to call it! :D

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't know why everyone is upset about this. It blows my mind how confused people are about this when it really is quite simple.

Who is upset and confused?

You did incorrectly say based on Apple's numbering history "that it won't be called iPhone 5".

The new iPad isn't called "The new iPad". It's simply the new "iPad". The name is "iPad" and it is the new one. We don't call Macbook pro's "Macbook Pro 7" or any other number. They are simply the "Macbook Pro" and when a new one comes out it is announced as "The new Macbook Pro", along with Apple's other non-numbered products. It's really not a big deal and people need to get the heck over it. It's not confusing, it's not going to throw anyone off, and apple is still going to basically print money with it. Move on. This is not news.

Sounds like you copy and pasted this from the font page.

tedzone

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
They probably named the 3s and the 4s as they did because although they were new phones, they retained the exact same look as the previous phones. Anotherwords-- how can I go around calling my 4s a 5 when it looks exactly the same as the other guy's 4....
So the kinda dug themselves into a hole with that one.

_zguy__#IM

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Apple rarely uses the full name for the new iphones, but they need to put the name on the end to avoid confusion. For example the ads for iphones always say "the new iphone" "newest iphone" and dont ever mention 4S but at the end of the ad iPhone 4S is shown on the screen. There are so many ways the iPhone comes and has come that the new iphone would be confusing. The iPad has fewer versions and only 2 are sold at a time so does not need new naming. But it will still be iPad 3 50% of the time though its never officially labeled as such

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2