Why do people keep calling it iPhone 5?

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
probably because most people are trained to go in some sort of chronological order

personally i think it is time to go away from the #'s and name it something cool!

You mean like Samsung, with phones named Impression, Rumor, Exhilarate, Exhibit, Captivate, Admire, Replenish, etc... (I didn't make any of these up)

Maybe they'll name it the iPhone Anticipate, or the iPhone Procrastinate, possibly the iPhone Hesitate.

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The name doesn't annoy me too much. I think it was a bigger deal when they changed it to a new number (iPhone 4) and then you had 4G networks rolling out. I talk to a lot of casual users looking at phones who just assume it's a 4G phone because of the name.

But they seem to have a pattern of changing the name whenever there's a major body redesign. The iPhone 4 body was well-received, but it has some technical problems, and the 4s fixes those without really changing the form factor. I think that they didn't want to call it an "iPhone 5" and get flamed for really not offering any dramatic improvements.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So keep going with numbers??? Who the hell is gonna buy an iPhone 45? Now switching to roman numerals for a bit might not be a bad idea, iPhone X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The name doesn't annoy me too much. I think it was a bigger deal when they changed it to a new number (iPhone 4) and then you had 4G networks rolling out. I talk to a lot of casual users looking at phones who just assume it's a 4G phone because of the name.

But they seem to have a pattern of changing the name whenever there's a major body redesign. The iPhone 4 body was well-received, but it has some technical problems, and the 4s fixes those without really changing the form factor. I think that they didn't want to call it an "iPhone 5" and get flamed for really not offering any dramatic improvements.

Changing the form factor isn't a dramatic improvement. Dramatic improvements are a combination of improved screens, better processors, more memory, better battery, better camera, etc.

The 4S was "dramatic" improvement in my opinion as it had a lot of improvements.. I'd have no problem if they had called it iphone 5. Just about everything but the form factor changed for the better. Here's a few:

1. 2x processor of previous and 7x graphics. A big deal and it improves every other feature speeding things up.
2. Much better camera, including more MP, face detection, 5 element lens, lets more light in.
3. 1080p video including stabilization.
4. Better mic.
5. More storage.
6. Siri
7. HSPA+ and gsm/cdma dual mode
8. Bluetooth 4.0
9. Wireless mirroring
10. Better antenna

I hear the "it looks like the iphone 4" arguments but that's just looks. Personally, i don't want something different each year meaning all the accessories are incompatible. Bored with how the phone looks? I don't get it when most cover it up with a case.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
(Snipped)...I hear the "it looks like the iphone 4" arguments but that's just looks. Personally, i don't want something different each year meaning all the accessories are incompatible. Bored with how the phone looks? I don't get it when most cover it up with a case.

'Nuf said, especially the part about most people covering the iphone with a case. I'm one of the few who does not use a case, but you were on-point with your statement. Take care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Very good points guys, here is my final piece on why the phone wont be iPhone 5. The first iPhone was called iPhone and then there wasn't a numbered iPhone until the 4. This means that, from what this website seems to think in calling the 6th gen iPhone the iPhone 5, that the iPhone 4 should have been the iPhone 2 and then the 4s would have been like it didn't exist as a numbered phone. Then the 3GS isn't the iPhone 3 and the 3G isn't the 2. Stupid logic, but that is what I am dealing with when I read any articles by this website anymore. IT WILL NOT BE IPHONE 5!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Stupid logic, but that is what I am dealing with when I read any articles by this website anymore. IT WILL NOT BE IPHONE 5!

Truth of the matter is YOU DON'T know any more about what the next iPhone is going to be called than any one else on this website. ONLY APPLE KNOWS WHAT IT WILL BE CALLED! ;)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Very good points guys, here is my final piece on why the phone wont be iPhone 5. The first iPhone was called iPhone and then there wasn't a numbered iPhone until the 4.

So the 3G and 3GS didn't exist?

This means that, from what this website seems to think in calling the 6th gen iPhone the iPhone 5, that the iPhone 4 should have been the iPhone 2 and then the 4s would have been like it didn't exist as a numbered phone.

You're not getting it, they called the 5th gen iPhone a 4S, so they can call the 6th gen iPhone whatever the hell they want, including iPhone 5.

Then the 3GS isn't the iPhone 3 and the 3G isn't the 2. Stupid logic, but that is what I am dealing with when I read any articles by this website anymore. IT WILL NOT BE IPHONE 5!

You're free not to read them and go elsewhere.:)

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
You must not have gotten what I meant. Of course they existed, but they didn't call the iPhone 4 the iPhone 2 so I doubt they'll call the next one the 5. As for going elsewhere, I never said I didn't like the site but when they post stuff and it says iPhone 5 it seems silly to jump the gun. Call it the "next iPhone" or 6th gen iPhone or something. Thanks for being so rude though.