iPhone 5 will have LTE

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just how much faster is 4G, or 4G LTE over 3G?

On the Sprint network, 4G was a heck of a lot faster than 3G, but I can't speak for the other networks. Furthermore, 3G speeds on the Verizon network with my iPhone 4S is fast enough to where speed is a nonissue for me. Is Sprint's 4G speeds noticeably faster than Verizon's 3G speed in *my* experience? Yes, but, as I aforementioned, it's fast enough to where it's not an issue for me. I hope that made sense. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You trying to say all of verizon's customers care about LTE? I suppose the iphone 4S never had a chance on verizon. Oh wait.. Bet ya an iphone 5 without LTE will still murder all the other phones released on Verizon this year.

The 4s came out when verizon still was spotty at best with their lte. What I am saying and seems to be so hard for so many of you to understand, is that verizon is really pushing their lte network and I could see them pass on the next iphone if it does not have lte. It isn't like verizon wasn't doing fine before the iphone and could still sell what they already have.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The 4s came out when verizon still was spotty at best with their lte. What I am saying and seems to be so hard for so many of you to understand, is that verizon is really pushing their lte network and I could see them pass on the next iphone if it does not have lte. It isn't like verizon wasn't doing fine before the iphone and could still sell what they already have.

You're right that Verizon is focusing hard on getting their devices LTE compliant, but for them to pass on the next iPhone if it is not LTE compliant is unlikely, in *my* opinion. That is far too much money for them to let slip away especially if there's no overwhelming outcry for the next iPhone to be an LTE device.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
On the Sprint network, 4G was a heck of a lot faster than 3G, but I can't speak for the other networks. Furthermore, 3G speeds on the Verizon network with my iPhone 4S is fast enough to where speed is a nonissue for me. Is Sprint's 4G speeds noticeably faster than Verizon's 3G speed in *my* experience? Yes, but, as I aforementioned, it's fast enough to where it's not an issue for me. I hope that made sense. ;)

Reason being Sprint technically doesn't have 4G rather Wimax. Big difference. But they will be rolling out real LTE 4G in the near future.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

Verizon will not pass on the iPhone without LTE, but even if they did would Apple care?

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Probably not - the millions upon millions that would want the iPhone would go to another carrier to get it for the most part

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
You disagree with what? I said Verizon will not pass on the iPhone. I know it's a difficult construct, but it means they will take whatever Apple releases...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. Verizon would take whatever Apple offers them. They'd be fools not to.

People said that when they passed on every iphone before the iphone 4 and they seemed to be doing pretty well without it. Not that many will switch to a carrier that in many areas is much worse service and connectivity wise.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
People said that when they passed on every iphone before the iphone 4 and they seemed to be doing pretty well without it. Not that many will switch to a carrier that in many areas is much worse service and connectivity wise.

Bullhockey. The iP4 was the first time ever Apple produced a CDMA compatible phone.... thus there's no way Verizon "passed" on every iPhone before. It's likely true that Verizon did indeed 'pass' on the original iPhone, so Apple made the deal with AT&T, who by the way had an exclusive deal, which shoots another hole on your theory that Verizon 'passed' on every one before the iP4.... smh...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Bullhockey. The iP4 was the first time ever Apple produced a CDMA compatible phone.... thus there's no way Verizon "passed" on every iPhone before. It's likely true that Verizon did indeed 'pass' on the original iPhone, so Apple made the deal with AT&T, who by the way had an exclusive deal, which shoots another hole on your theory that Verizon 'passed' on every one before the iP4.... smh...

This I agree with. The initial phone is what they passed on. Everything else after that they could do nothing but eat crow.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
This I agree with. The initial phone is what they passed on. Everything else after that they could do nothing but eat crow.

All water under the bridge. Past is past. Look forward.

Apple will make an LTE iPhone.

Verizon will sell it. Only a matter of when. My guess - October of this year.

What more does anyone need to know? :D

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
As an avid Android and iOS fan, I'm just throwing my 2 cents in...

LTE on Verizon is useless for anything but streaming, downloading, and talk/data at the same time. I've used it on a few phones, and it seriously provides little during average use. The difference among most things is negligible, at best.

I think the next iPhone will have 4G/LTE. But I hope (and would assume) that Apple will have the battery straightened out, or it's useless. I generally left 3G on instead of 4G because the idle battery drain was pointless. If I was home and near a charger, that's a different story.

Like I said, just my 2 cents.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

Verizon was not financially able to upgrade their network to handle the data requirement that Apple had for the first iPhone.

AT&T was the only carrier capable of even handling the load.

Verizon was given first shot at it and turned it down. AT&T got a great exclusivity deal from Apple as a result. Verizon kicked themselves for the next four years...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

lmao...it's been said a few times already, but this was just humorous enough to repeat it...Verizon didn't pass on anything but the first generation iPhone...then they spent the next several years wishing they had made a different choice.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Verizon was not financially able to upgrade their network to handle the data requirement that Apple had for the first iPhone.

Verizon was given first shot at it and turned it down. AT&T got a great exclusivity deal from Apple as a result. Verizon kicked themselves for the next four years...

That is not true at all. Verizon's network was and is still more capable of handling data since it was proven that android phones use more data and do not have the issues at&t's network had.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Uh not true at all. VZ deciding not to make a deal with Apple had NOTHING to do with an inability to upgrade there network due to financials. Nor was it because of data issues, as VZ still to this day has a more robust network than ATT. That is fact.

Also, VZ did not need a deal with APPLE to be strong, ATT did. VZW experienced zero ill effect's by not having the iPhone. The churn numbers prove that. So, I would say they were not kicking themselves for those four years...

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That is not true at all. Verizon's network was and is still more capable of handling data since it was proven that android phones use more data and do not have the issues at&t's network had.

Verizon's LTE network has had it's share of issues and certainly isn't perfect. There were a number of LTE data outages reported from their customers, myself included after using their HTC Rezound for a short period of time. Not only was the speed not what it should have been even when I had a full signal but the data side was up and down. Whether or not either carrier handles LTE data better on the next iPhone remains to be seen. From what I have read AT&T's LTE network is doing just fine so far in it's current areas of service.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen